Homemade launch rack - rod ideas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjp

Reaction score
I want to build a small, portable BUDGET rack system for small model rockets - maybe 5 or 6 pads. I was in Home Depot the other day and saw 3-packs of 1/8", 36" long brazing rods for about $2.80.

Are these rigid enough for launch rods? They were in clear plastic tubes, no way to determine how stiff they were.

It all depends on what material the brazing rods are made of and if the brazing rods are flux coated or not. It would be better to use the steel rods that you can find at the same store in the display stand where the steel angles, bars and all thread are sold.

You need to build a launch pad like the one in the attached picture. The backbone is only 48 inches long and the legs can be detached so the whole thing can be stored/stowed in a car trunk.

My son and I plan to write up the construction details in a magazine article.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Originally posted by teflonrocketry1
You need to build a launch pad like the one in the attached picture. The backbone is only 48 inches long and the legs can be detached so the whole thing can be stored/stowed in a car trunk.

What are you using for blast deflectors on the launch pads?

Looks like the bottoms of 2-liter pop bottles. Our club rack uses those.

Later,
EV

Originally posted by vjp
I want to build a small, portable BUDGET rack system for small model rockets - maybe 5 or 6 pads. I was in Home Depot the other day and saw 3-packs of 1/8", 36" long brazing rods for about $2.80.

Are these rigid enough for launch rods? They were in clear plastic tubes, no way to determine how stiff they were.

These rods are Brass or Silicon Bronze and are nowhere as stiff as steel rods (copper coated) used for welding, better yet
would be Stainless Steel welding rods, available from a welding supply shop or maybe the welding section of Home Depot.

Stuart

Originally posted by EchoVictor
Looks like the bottoms of 2-liter pop bottles. Our club rack uses those.

I've read about this technique: plaster of paris molded in the bottoms of 2 liter bottles.

We use electrical junction box covers - much more compact to transport and store.

Bill

Originally posted by stl1951
These rods are Brass or Silicon Bronze and are nowhere as stiff as steel rods (copper coated) used for welding, better yet
would be Stainless Steel welding rods, available from a welding supply shop or maybe the welding section of Home Depot.

Stuart
Stainless steel is better than carbon steel from a corrosion resistance standpoint, but it is actually more flexible. The modulus of elasticity (material property of stiffness) is slightly lower, depending on the stainless alloy. The difference is not significant for our purposes here, but I didn't want anyone to read the above and think that stainless rods are stiffer than steel welding rods of the same diameter.
-Jim

Back