Optima/Shadow Clone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmmeyers

Reaction score
I had an old Phoenix nosecone, and I was going to use it to build another Phoenix, but then I ran across the plans for the Estes Optima (Shadow) on JimZ's website. I liked that design a bit better. So loosely following those plans, I started building.

To make the centering rings, I used the free Engine Mount/Bulkhead Template Generator that is over on EMRR. It prints out the templates on regular paper, which I then glued to some heavy cardboard. I cut out the templates with an xacto knife, and with a little sanding I was good to go. Thinking that this design was a little underpowered with a single 24mm engine mount, I made it a 24mm cluster.

This is actually an early picture of the engine mount when it was originally built for the Pheonix. I have added a third centering ring closer to the end (which you will see in other pictures).

Rear view 2

I am going to stick to a similar (but not exact) paint scheme as is listed on the plans...white, orange, and black.

Optima flies great on a single E9-4.

With 2 of them it will fly higher and faster - and be more forgiving in 'breeze'.

I made a 3" upscale of my old Estes Shadow using LOC components and a 29mm motor mount. I used to fly it on G75's, but it really likes the G64-7 best. Your rendition looks great! Be sure to post flight pictures and/or a launch report!

Best Regards

Originally posted by cmmeyers
Rear view 2

I am going to stick to a similar (but not exact) paint scheme as is listed on the plans...white, orange, and black.

Good move on the dual motor mount CM!
My original Optima was build stock with a single 12mm motor mount....I was so disappointed:(
Her First flight was into a slight breeze and I went with a D12 -5 as recommended...OH what a mistake. Heres a pic page that may give you guys a chuckle or two. It's funny now, and I can't complain as I did rebuild her with a couple external strap-ons:D
I'm sure you'll be a lot happier flying your optima on Twin D's:D

She Does fly MUCH better on 4 D12's than and now :D
The Optima is a nice size model just needs a little more and a single D12. Hope your as happy with your 2 D cluster flights as I've been with my thrust augmented Optima.

I built my Optima with a 3 x 24mm "E" cluster mount. 2 E9-6
's will deliver a very respectable flight (I know this because I launched it once when only 2 of the three engines lit. Nice flight, just not quite as high as with the three. I'd guess somewhere around 1000'.)

By the way: since you're cloning, it will be difficult to come up with an exaxt match for the deep metallic red striping material.

My suggestion: Find a sign shop near you that has a sock of adhesive vinyl for making signs and automotive decals and stuff. I noticed while in my local sign shop last week that they had a metallic red vinyl that looked like a very close match to the stuff that comes in the Optima kit. The silver mylar looking stuff is much easier - most good hobby shops will have sheets of it (you'll just need to cut it into strips for use on your rocket.) This is, of course, assuming an attempt at a "stock" finish.

Heh! I'm using the term "cloning" very loosely.;) It will be painted close to the stock color scheme, i.e. some of the same colors.

It's going to be more along lines of..."hey, that rocket looks like an Optima with a vaguely similar paint scheme!"

Heh! I'm using the term "cloning" very loosely.;) It will be painted close to the stock color scheme, i.e. some of the same colors.

It's going to be more along lines of..."hey, that rocket looks like an Optima with a vaguely similar paint scheme!"

Good for You CM
I make it a habbit of intentionally trying to come up with my own color schemes on most Models...it's about all the individual can do with a kit or stock design. It's rare that i'll stick with aa stock color scheme...LOAD I'm tired of white rockets...unless the "panel art" is really outstanding.

Speaking of adhesive backed vinyls, Micheals has a bunch of small metallic sheets (6 by 10 inches) 5 sheet packs, in holographic finishes.. for under 5 bucks. very Cool stuff.
Most of the larger sign shops carry all the "normal" and a few metallic vinyls but its only the smaller "commerical Sign Shops like "signs by tomorrow" or Speedy Signs" that will have the holographic or "artfoil" materials in stock. Art supply and some Sign "supply" stores will be a better source thou you'll likely have to buy at least a 2 foot long piece of a given vinyl material. Most of the manufactureres Avery, Gerber, 3M, Calon and so on usually put up vinyls in rolls 15", 24" ,36" and 48" wide depending on type and color;) N Glantz and Sons, Pioneer, Dick Blick, Grimco,and Tublite are a few nation wide Sign supply chains that come to mind.
Hope this helps.

CM - good choice to make use of that nose cone! I always liked that Optima/Shadow design myself. I have the Shadow version and it was waaaay under-powered on a single D12-3. Of course, that did not sink in until the second time I doinked it. I have flown it on an E11 reload with decent results, but I've been thinking of simply scrapping it [it's been rebuilt twice, see above] and going with a 3 X 24mm set up to cluster D's. :cool:

Back at NARAM-32, I flew my Optima on a F25-6W motor. It surprised the Estes delegation who had just launched a 'stock' Optima on a D12-3 moments before.

The only 'kit' parts used were the nose cone, decals and the balsa forward fins/strakes.

My Optima has a 29mm motor mount, able to handle up to 'H' motor power (either RMS or single-use), throught-the-wall plywood fins, heavy-duty body tube, ejection baffle, nylon parachute and a looong shock cord.

I flew it, again, at NARAM-35. This time, it landed in a pond. I fished it out but the tube coupler swelled up from the water. I had to peel off a few layers of paper in order to put the rocket back together.

Hey, Rocketcrab, did you see this flight when you were at NARAM-35? ;)

Love mine...

SHADOW.jpg

Originally posted by Initiator001
Back at NARAM-32, I flew my Optima on a F25-6W motor. It surprised the Estes delegation who had just launched a 'stock' Optima on a D12-3 moments before.

The only 'kit' parts used were the nose cone, decals and the balsa forward fins/strakes.

My Optima has a 29mm motor mount, able to handle up to 'H' motor power (either RMS or single-use), throught-the-wall plywood fins, heavy-duty body tube, ejection baffle, nylon parachute and a looong shock cord.

I flew it, again, at NARAM-35. This time, it landed in a pond. I fished it out but the tube coupler swelled up from the water. I had to peel off a few layers of paper in order to put the rocket back together.

Hey, Rocketcrab, did you see this flight when you were at NARAM-35? ;)

Not only do I remember seeing it, but I have it, it's builder and the flight on videotape!!! In fact, there is ample footage of you making like a member of SEAL Team 6 retrieving it from Lake Middletown! ;) :D

Originally posted by Rocketcrab
Not only do I remember seeing it, but I have it, it's builder and the flight on videotape!!! In fact, there is ample footage of you making like a member of SEAL Team 6 retrieving it from Lake Middletown! ;) :D

George,

Thanks for the memories. ;)

Kevin Funk gave me a copy of your NARAM-35 video. I just finished watching it, again.

Originally posted by Micromeister
Good move on the dual motor mount CM!
My original Optima was build stock with a single 12mm motor mount....I was so disappointed:(

I don't imagine that an Optima on a 12mm motor would be very impressive much less move;)

A slightly different angle.

Even though I live in the Baltimore area and the Orioles are my home team, it was unitentional that this rocket turned out to be painted in the colors of the Baltimore Orioles. But I like the end result (and the kids love it too). I might be able to get out one afternoon this week to launch.

From death comes life...

I just retired my 10 year old Shadow after an E11-5 bonus delay caused a lawn dart so nice I had a nose cone in 25 pieces and accordion down to stuffer tube but kinks everywhere...

It was its time though, the LONG heavy duty stuffer tube was collapsing from all the ejection charges and the fins had big chunks out of them and splits from many many launches... sad to see her go but I just got some cluster centering rings that needed a place to go.... Clone time.

This makes me question using anything other than an E motor length of motor tube tho... I also crashed my nearly as old BT-80 Alpha (E9-6 weak ejection only popped nose off... dang!) which I also decided to retire.. had great basswood fins but another partial accordian and many tube kinks... had nice paint too... anyway it also had some weakening of the stuffer tube I used...

I think short motor tube and parachute shelf like The Launch Pad kits use will be my new way of building.

A slightly different angle.

Even though I live in the Baltimore area and the Orioles are my home team, it was unitentional that this rocket turned out to be painted in the colors of the Baltimore Orioles. But I like the end result (and the kids love it too). I might be able to get out one afternoon this week to launch.

Whatever reason, it looks great!

I finished an NCR Phantom 4000 in Ravens colors years ago, but it has the old Fred Flintstone "Loyal Order Of The Water Buffalo" helmet logo on it. I suppose I should update it.

We live in Phillies teritory, and my wife is the ultimate Phiilies fan. I'm from Baltimore, and our oldest son painted his Maxi-Alpha in the Birds colors, complete with a homemade decal of the Orioles cartoon logo from the old hat from the 60's and 70's.

Follow THAT logic! ;)

Originally posted by rokitflite
I don't imagine that an Optima on a 12mm motor would be very impressive much less move;)

I knew some smart aleck would beat me to this one.:D
Those 12mm engines are hard to come by, especially the A9-2.5R

Originally posted by Rocketcrab
Whatever reason, it looks great!

I finished an NCR Phantom 4000 in Ravens colors years ago, but it has the old Fred Flintstone "Loyal Order Of The Water Buffalo" helmet logo on it. I suppose I should update it.

We live in Phillies teritory, and my wife is the ultimate Phiilies fan. I'm from Baltimore, and our oldest son painted his Maxi-Alpha in the Birds colors, complete with a homemade decal of the Orioles cartoon logo from the old hat from the 60's and 70's.

Follow THAT logic! ;)

And the pictures are WHERE?
I love the old Orioles logo. There's actually a website out there that has sports logos from all kinds of teams. Majors, minors, vintage, historic; they've got quite the collection. I'll have to see if I have it saved still. I've wanted to do something with the old Mr. Red with the handlebar mustache for a long time.

Back