Return to rocketry...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckeck

Reaction score
Hey everyone! It has been about 8 years or so since I last did anything rocketry related. I used to live and breath this sport, but sadly life got in the way...

Anyhow, I am glad to be getting back in the sport but don't really know where to begin. I have flown just about every model Estes rocket ever made, but I am looking to take it up a notch into the higher powered rockets and hopefully onto some custom built rockets soon.

I just went to the hobby store yesterday and bought a new Aerotech launch kit and a Loc/Precision Legacy rocket, which I am about to start building. I haven't ever flown a rocket with an engine larger than an D, so I am pretty excited about this one. I bought a couple of F engines for this rocket so I wouldn't have to use an adapter for smaller engines.

I have a few questions though:

If I am going to buy some of the re-useable engines, what do you re-fuel those engines with? And where do you get these materials? I am from San Antonio, TX and there isn't much rocketry action down here that I know about...

Is there anyone in the San Antonio/South Texas area that launches rockets regularly??

Anything else I should be aware of? Whats all happened in the last 8-10 years?

I have already familiarized myself with all the updated regulations from the NAR, and I joined up again.

Any advice/tips/etc would be appreciated. Glad to be back!! :D

Originally posted by ckeck
If I am going to buy some of the re-useable engines, what do you re-fuel those engines with? And where do you get these materials? I am from San Antonio, TX and there isn't much rocketry action down here that I know about...

To use the reloadable you'll first need to get the reload casing assembly. For the Legacy with a 29mm motor mount the casing you want is an Aerotech (or Rouse-tech) 29/40-120 casing. This is what the fuel goes into. The casing also contains a forward and a rear closure. This is the most universal casing as it accepts reloads from E-G. The casing and closures cost ~$50. If cleaned after use and taken care of, a casing (and closures) can last you hundreds of flights. All you replace is the fuel in the form of a reload kit.

You then purchase reload kits. These are motor specific and casing specific. Only certain reloads fit into the 29/40-120. The reload kits contain the propellant grain, delay element, black powder (used for the ejection charge), and various O-rings, spacers, and nylon washers required to assemble the reload in the casing. Assembly is not that difficult. All parts of this are disposable after use. Just remove and discard the burned fuel and other parts from inside the casing, clean it and the closures well, get a new reload kit, & assemble in the casing as before. You're ready to go for another flight.

These are the reloads that work with the 29/40-120
E16W
E23T
F22J
F40W
F52T
G64W
The G33J also works, but you need to be a Level 1 high powered certified user to buy and use that motor. Complex explanation....several recent threads discuss this confusion.

The one thing to remember, each of these reload kits come in several formats depending the delay you want (in seconds). For example, the G64 comes as G64-4,G64-7, and G64-10. It's your job to figure out the delay you need. This is the delay time (in seconds) from the time of motor burnout until the time the ejection charge is fired to deploy your rocket's recovery system. Your Legacy kit instructions probably lists which are the appropriate delays for each motor.

The initial investment in the 29/40-120 is well worth it. The reload kits are MUCH cheaper than the single use motors. After less than 10 flights, the casing will have paid for itself in the money you saved from buying reloads vs. single use motors.

This is just beginning....hope this intro helps.

Here is a list of all the NAR clubs in Texas. Not really sure where San Antonio is in relation to these, but there should be one fairly close by.

Back