Home Made Igniters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulez2

Reaction score
Before I start to build my own motors I thought I'd start off simple by making my own ignitors.
I am using Richard Nakkas instructions.....................Problem is, where do I get hold of some Nickel Chromium wire for the ignitors!??

Surely there must either be somewhere to buy it from or something that is made of of the stuff that I can use.

Oh thats fine someone just posted a thread on here for "cheap" nickel chromium wire (nichrome for short).
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25510
you could also buy it from Radio Shack or some other electronics supply store.
i see you live in Australia so Dick Smith Electronics will sell it ,thats were i got mine about a 5 meter length for about $5 cant remember exactly.
good luck dont blow yourself up

Some craft shops sell it and a "foam cutter". Micromark modeling tools might also sell it.

Glen

NAR 26298

Originally posted by Paulez2
Before I start to build my own motors I thought I'd start off simple by making my own ignitors.
I am using Richard Nakkas instructions.....................Problem is, where do I get hold of some Nickel Chromium wire for the ignitors!??

Surely there must either be somewhere to buy it from or something that is made of of the stuff that I can use.

I bought nichrome on eBay:

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7584646412&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

This guy had a wider variety of gauges than I could find in Oz. Jaycar had only one gauge available. He also shipped to Australia for the same price as the local shipping fee. It was here in 4 days.

Originally posted by Paulez2

I have 10 foot packs for $3.00, that includes shipping.

30 Ga.
32 Ga. (limited quantity)
34 Ga (limited quantity)
36 Ga.
40 Ga. (limited quantity)
44 Ga. (limited quantity)
50 Ga. (limited quantity)

I'm planning on getting some Nichrome wire (I've got that bit down :) ) and making some of my own ignitors...
I plan to use a sugar propellant-like mixture (per Richard Nakka's site, for the ingredients and proportions) instead of pyrogen (only for experimentation, outside of motors--maybe inside, if they work well after testing :) ).
My question is as follows... what could I use to make the mixture a liquid? I can't melt it (don't have the equipment, nor the desire), but I can add other things...

We do carry #40 AWG Chromel C for $3.99 for 75' and that includes free USPS First Class postage to any US address.

We have ongoing auctions on both Ebay and ROL auctions.

Currently:

Ebay

ROL

Originally posted by Rock_It
IThere's no need for nitrocellulose when you use NiChrome. Just wrap, and dip in the pyrogen. Magnelite is some good stuff, and it's what I used on mine.

Nitrocellulose laquer is used to protect the pyrogen or as a binder in the mix. Firefox uses it as both with some of their primer/pyrogen formulas. It has nothing to do with what type of wire you are using. Dipping the finished ignitor in NC laquer will protect the pyrogen from handling, and provide some protection against static electricy (if using a conductive pyrogen). While not needed with all pyrogen types, coating an ignitor with it makes it less prone to damge during handling.

tms

Back