Paper Rocket - FarSide Rocket Science - Flistkits ACME MMX conversion?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianc

Reaction score
I was poking around some of the paper model websites today, and came across this
<a href="https://users.sdccu.net/chthulhu/models/rocksci/model.html">little goodie (clickable).</a>

Of course, since the Far Side cartoon was the inspiration for the FlisKits ACME Spitfire, I just had
to build it! :D I'm thinking MMX conversion for the next one...

BTW, Jim- your Sport Rocketry ad says the MMX Redstone is due 'this winter'. Don't think
you're gonna get off easy with a December 2006 date and this crowd! :) We'll be expecting
it before March.

It could be stable like Jim's ACME. keep us posted :)

thanx, Ben

If you look closely at the original Far Side or download the PDF, you can see that
Gary Larson is a cluster builder's friend!

I'm thinking a Tres-style MMX motor mount might be in order. :D

As far as stability, the fins on this particular model are pretty small. And the NC is
angled such that there is significant off-center frontal surface area. These might have
to be adjusted a bit to improve the CP location...

But then again, some hand tossing of this one around the living room shows it's
stable enough to glide- better than some paper airplanes I've made even. I'll have to
record the current CG and see what happens when I add a MMT and recovery system
on the next one.

However, the bottom segment is conical, so that will add extra stability. My vote is to just build it as-is, add a bit of noseweight, and fly it (it's just MMX, if it cartwheels, it won't damage much).

Originally posted by cjl
My vote is to just build it as-is, add a bit of noseweight, and fly it (it's just MMX, if it
cartwheels, it won't damage much).
But that's not a Rocket Science method! :D :D :D

I'm with ya Brian!
I've just gotta build this one.. fits my image perfectly:D:D! Thanks for sharing, This ones been on my build list for a long time! So Many Rockets...sooooo little time:D

I've seen this site before and have been tempted to build that thing also :) (As an aside, I am trying to locate Gary Larson so that I can give him and ACME Spitfire all his own :) )

Stability *will* be an issue (duh...) and I had to make several concessions when designing the ACME (that's why it's not an exact replica of the cartoon).

As for the MMX Mercury Redstone, there may have been confusion with repect to our ad in Sport Rocketry...

We're coming out with a whole line of MMX kits *and* a Mercury Redstone kit. The Merc will be 13mm *not* MMX

However, thanx to a special TRF'r, an MMX version isn't *that* far off :D

keep us posted on how this build/launch goes!

jim

Originally posted by jflis
As for the MMX Mercury Redstone, there may have been confusion with repect to our ad in Sport Rocketry...

We're coming out with a whole line of MMX kits *and* a Mercury Redstone kit. The Merc will be 13mm *not* MMX
OOPS! My bad. I remembered some FlisKits chats, saw "1:130" and
MMX in the same glance and didn't do the math... My apollogies... Yeah, I know the pun
thread is elsewhere... :D

I painted and decaled my Fliskits ACME Spitfire with the FarSide paint job. Considering how many paper rockets I do, I should probably build one of these (FarSide Rocket Science) myself. I have been toying with the idea for a couple years now.

Looks great... let us know how it flies.

Originally posted by brianc
I was poking around some of the paper model websites today, and came across this
<a href="https://users.sdccu.net/chthulhu/models/rocksci/model.html">little goodie (clickable).</a>

Hello, folks,

Brian sent me an e-mail last night with a link here, and I discovered that he had visited an older version of my site, and posted that link instead of the current one:

https://users.sdccu.net/chthulhu2/models.html

There you will find my "Rocket Science" model as a vector .PDF file (scalable without jaggies) and a few more models not available from the older site, including a couple more rockets.

Personally, I'd like to see someone launch "Rocket Ship X-M" one of these days.

They're all free of charge; have fun. :)

Mike Hungerford

So was this first post "The Call Of Chthulhu"?

Sorry, been working in a hobby shop too long...:rolleyes:

You'll love this forum. Best rocket spot there is. Want'ed to say hey. - Justin

P.S. Love the name. I'm a HP fan.

Personally, I don't care if it is an HP, a Lexmark or whatever. If it gets the job done, that's what I want.

Originally posted by Justin

Originally posted by rokitflite
So was this first post "The Call Of Chthulhu"?
Sorry, been working in a hobby shop too long...

Heh; I've heard worse. <G>

Originally posted by Justin
You'll love this forum. Best rocket spot there is. Want'ed to say hey. - Justin

Thanks, Justin; I've been "Chthulhu" for more than twenty years. :)

Originally posted by Skippy
The Cosmic Carrot looks like a good conversion too.

Skippy,

I actually designed the Cosmic Carrot with MMX motors in mind; it *should* print to the right body diameter, and would just need an engine thrust ring of some kind. Not sure the fins would work as-is, though.

Mike

Originally posted by Chthulhu
Personally, I'd like to see someone launch "Rocket Ship X-M" one of these days.
I'll probably take you up on that one! I've had a copy of yours and the Flash Gordon
version on my hard drive since last September... I actually printed it out too.
/me looks for instructions and printout. :)

Originally posted by brianc
I'll probably take you up on that one! I've had a copy of yours and the Flash Gordon
version on my hard drive since last September... I actually printed it out too.
/me looks for instructions and printout. :)

Brian, et al.,

There are quite a few paper rockets out there, someo of them very detailed and intricate. I'll try to compile a list of links for you, but you've probably found most of them by now. :)

Another I'd like to see fly is Ralph Currell's "Friede" from "Frau im Monde." His SpaceShip one and RVT would be interesting as well.

https://www.currell.net/models/mod_free.htm

He also has a V-1, a V-2, and a Soviet N-1 moon rocket (MMX cluster?). :)

Mike

Skippy,

I actually designed the Cosmic Carrot with MMX motors in mind; it *should* print to the right body diameter, and would just need an engine thrust ring of some kind. Not sure the fins would work as-is, though.

Mike

[monty burns]

Excellent!!

[/monty burns]

:)

I've done the Currell Friede using 18 mm motor, and the RVT using 13 mm motor mount. Haven't thought about MMX conversion, though. I think my reviews of the Friede and RVT are up on EMRR.

Clive

Another I'd like to see fly is Ralph Currell's "Friede" from "Frau im Monde." His SpaceShip one and RVT would be interesting as well
Mike

Originally posted by cliveroonie
I've done the Currell Friede using 18 mm motor, and the RVT using 13 mm motor mount. Haven't thought about MMX conversion, though. I think my reviews of the Friede and RVT are up on EMRR.

Clive

Clive,

I'm a newb, here; what's EMRR? :)

Mike

Thanks, Bob; did anyone tell Ralph Currell? :)

I still think the N-1 as an MMX cluster would be a hell of a challenge, too. <G>

Mike

Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard. Those are some nice designs on your website!

[hijack]

I did the N-1 conversion project that Bob referenced. Yes, I did send Ralph Currell a note about the conversion project and sent him some pics. I was honored when he posted them to his photos page.

There is also a thread on TRF about the N-1.

link_to_N1_thread

[/hijack] :)

Take care,
Jason

Originally posted by jjnodice
Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard. Those are some nice designs on your website!

[hijack]

I did the N-1 conversion project that Bob referenced. Yes, I did send Ralph Currell a note about the conversion project and sent him some pics. I was honored when he posted them to his photos page.

There is also a thread on TRF about the N-1.

link_to_N1_thread

[/hijack] :)

Take care,
Jason

Jason,

Thank you; there will be more models of various types as time permits. I have a couple of character figures done for a Web comic, but the cartoonist has flaked out on me. <G>

I have several other rockets in mind as well, but I'm open to suggestions; the ship from "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" will probably be next. :)

Mike

Back