Deployment bags

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a deployment bag to use with the RRQS15? all the D-bags I can find say that they need t be attached to the nose and come down on a seperate chute. I want the whole rocket coming down in one peice so I don't have to chase all kinds of different rocket parts across the field. Rocket Rage has one, but I'm not sure how that one works....can anyone fill me in, or suggest an alternative?

I'm just looking for a fail proof way to deploy the 'chute without it getting burned.

Thanks!

Call Carl @ RocketRage. He will be the best to suggest just how to rig his own chutes in his own D-bags and what size is appropriate.
He is a nice guy and he has a "regular" job and you will most likely need to catch him @ nights???

I use SkyAngle D-bags. It is a "free" bag and the NC comes down separate as you describe. IMHO - this is the safest way to help ensure deployment and avoid any tangling. Others may have differing opinions.

Good Luck

Covert recovery can make anything, custom for D-bag purposes. But if you want to go with a "mass" produced product, I believe the skyangle and rocketman bags (both very similar, rocketman calls it brand X on their site, but it is actually skyangle and they have many reasons showing why rocketman is better, I would go with a rocketman bag personally) have a loop on the inside to allow this to be done, it worked great on freedom won and the chute inflated very nicely, but the falling fin can hit it and it tangled. You attach a pilot, or 2-3' harness and pilot like I did, to the top of the bag. You attach a 2-4' length of TN to the loop on the inside of the bag, this attachs to the apex of the chute. When the D-bag is deployed the pilot pulls the bag off the chute (lines come out of loops first, then chute comes out of bag very nicely) and the 2-4' section of TN holds the D-bag above the chute. It usually will flutter around or rest on the canopy. Quickburst makes a bag designed this way but it doesnt have the shroud line loops, and I think they help a LOT. If you match descent rates both parts should land pretty close, and they are ejecting at under 1500' (usually) so it shouldnt be to hard to find the nose cone.

I agree, call the guy who made your 'chute and have him help you out so you get a properly sized bag.

I'd also talk to him about the best way to deploy the parachute from the bag.

-Kevin

thanks for the responses guys! I wrote an email to Carl at Rocket Rage asking about the deployment bag, I'm still waiting to hear back from him.

Thanks!

Back