"BIG News" project done

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outasight13

Reaction score
since i didnt get any replies in the scratch built thread, i thought id post a pic of my latest rocket, "BIG News" in this forum and see what people think. its a 3 inch rocket that stands 48 inches tall, weighs 20 ozs. all LOC parts. TTT fins epoxied to motor mount, "screen door clip" motor retention using tee-nuts and 6-32 screws. 29mm mount. first flight will probably be on a F40-7W reload, once i get my RMS casing, then ill stuff a G64 in it and watch it rip.
clearcoatedbigrocket001.jpg

Nice job! That's a good looking rocket. As long as the fins aren't really thin balsa, you could probably even put a H97 in it!

the fins are 3/32" 5-ply plywood. they flex a bit, but with a total of 6 epoxy fillets on each fins in various locations, i doubt they will break very easily.
when i was painting (nose cone down, touching the ground) the rocket must have slipped.....it fell down right on the fins with a lot of force, no damage except a little work to fix the paint.

Rocket looks great. I fly my arcas on f-40 motors all the time, gets about 800 feet and makes good noise on the way up.

Looks great. Now when do you throw in an H128 and go for L1? :)

I'm gonna be placing an order for the 29/40-120 casing and some reloads tonight from hobbylinc.
im kind of lost.
this rocket is very similar to a LOC forte, so im asuming it weighs somewhere in the 20 oz range. i know a F40, F52, and G64 will have no problem lifting 20 ounces, im wondering if the F22 could lift this much, and how about 25 ozs.? just incase this rocket weighs a little bit more.
some quick replies would be appreciated because im ordering soon, thanks.

I did a rocksim, a F22 really depends, I tried 2 sims, one with rocksim's estimated weight (which is probably off, seeing as I do not have your rocket), 21 oz, and your weight of 25 oz. With 25oz, it tilted quite a bit and only got up 550 feet. But the 21oz flight got up close to 800, and only tilted slightly, about as mutch as you would expect in the wind. However, in either case, this is underpowering it, so go for something bigger!

other flights you might be interested in:

F-40= 1057 feet, use the 4 second delay
G-33= 1378 feet, use the 5 second delay
G-64= 1770 feet, use the 8 second delay

If you want any other sims, tell me.

Now I want one:p

i dont know yet, but the F40's are ordered so that will be the first motor.

Back