FINLESS ROCKET DEBATE why does the Aries1-x have no fins?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That could be a bad example, many people posting on EMRR have had unstable Quest Totally Tubular flights.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/qst_totally_tubular.shtml

BTW, the file for the Quest Totally Tubular that I attached in an earlier post is an example of one of RockSim's "not yet fully implemented" features, or blind spots as I call them. In one of its most recent iterations, RockSim gained the ability to add tube fins to a design, but it did not gain the ability to accurately calculate the contribution of the tube fins to the design's stability. The RockSim design that I attached accurately reflects the Totally Tubular's construction, yet the rocket does cartwheels in the simulations. (The real Totally Tubular is stable.) In order to get RockSim to accurately simulate the performance of the real rocket, some elaborate work-arounds are needed (in the form of "phantom fins"). I deleted those work-arounds from the design that I attached in order to demonstrate my point. There is nothing wrong with that version of the design, but RockSim cannot accurately simulate its flight.

MarkII

That is a intesting point however if we run the simulation with an a8 it should be stable........ No cigar

Latest posts

Back