slotting tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackdaddy

Reaction score
How are tubes slotted in mass production (or semi mass production) ??

If One had to slot a couple hundred tubes, what would be the best type of jig/machine to make ?

small circular saw or router based machine ?

BMS tube slotting service cannot do 2 slots, only 3 or 4, so they are out.

Any pointers?

Thanks,
Slack

Slack:

A couple years back I experienced the same issue of high production tube slotting. I started out doing them by hand with a Dremel tool with a router bit, however I soon found that this was taking way too long, had to speed things up! Here's what I did.....Now the Dremmel tool cut nice but doing this free-handed was where I was spending too much time. So, I went down to Home Depot and bought the Dremel Drill Press...it was cheap, I think I paid $30 for it. I then took a piece of some 1/8" steel angle (you can make one out of wood too) and used that as my fence to slide the tube against while cutting. I also made an "outside diameter" coupler tube that slipped right over the end of the Body Tubes I was slotting, that had already been preslotted. That way all I had to do was slide the tube over the end, flush up my ends, then transfer the slot markings with a pencil and go right on to the next tube.

I guess my advice here is....move the tube, not the hand tool! ;)

Heck, who knows....you might even find a better jig to make that will eliminate drawing out your slots all together.

Hope that helped....~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>===> Good Luck

Chris
NAR#84102
Team Nitrus Rocketry
Machinist

In the works.......
8" Dia. Upscale Bulldog L3 cert Rocket
New Name: Bulldragon

Chris,
great minds think alike !
Had a dremel in one hand and a piece of Alum angle in he other.

I could make a mandrel that the tube slides on, this mandrel would have "stops" on it (2, 3, 4 fins) but then the dremel would have to slide.

Has anyone "seen" a real production tube slotting machine ?

Thanks,
Slack

yes, one way is by punching out the slot with a die / mandrel. fully automated of course.

If you could fashion a punch the shape of the slot..slide the tube onto a mandrel and punch it out.you would have a manual version. lot of work

Originally posted by slackdaddy

Has anyone "seen" a real production tube slotting machine ?

Thanks,
Slack

Hi Slack.

I've seen three kinds in operation.

A long time ago, router tables were setup with special made custom tube guides.

Just a sideways version the the dremel drill press really on a larger scale.

next new CNC magic machines can make just about anything and I've seen them sloting tubes ,just cost about $30k.

I've also seen laser machines cut tube slots, but they are about $10K as well.

Art

I've used a table saw to slot my tubes and it has worked great. Set the rip fence to 1/2 the diameter of the tube and add a stop at the distance you need (from the tip of the blade of course). I have used this method for both slots that extent through the end of the tube as well as mid-tube slots, although those require a bit mroe care. You can also go to a dado blade if you need really wide slots.

-Greg

Originally posted by slackdaddy

Has anyone "seen" a real production tube slotting machine?
slack

In most cases that I have seen, high production tube slotting was done with the use of punch & dies. These were just temporary die set-ups that could be quickly assembled and disassembled to provide various sizes (length and width) of slots. Being a Tool & Die maker in my earlier years, I was fortunate to have actually seen this done. The top of the die was the punch and stripper, and the lower die blocks were machined and hardened A-2 round stock tool steel of which the tube slid over and was accurately "indexed" to whatever fin configuration was needed. Pretty cool process actually.

Then came Quantum Tubing :confused: :D Can't punch Quantum.......soooooo, Back to machining!!! :rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents

Chris Emich
NAR#84102
Team Nitrus Rocketry
Machinist

In the works..........
8" Dia. Upscale Bulldog L3 cert Rocket
New Name: Bulldragon

Back