Potential New Product - Steel Shock Cord Mounts for Mid-Power

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWolman

Reaction score
I am considering selling some shock cord mounts for mid-power kits, and wanted to get a sense of how interested modelers might be. I have been using this style for my models for a while, both to replace most manufacturer's shock cord attachment, or in my own designs. They are virtually indestructible, as I have never seen one fail. Are ideal for kits from D through H/I power...

The shock cord mounts would be reminiscent of the old NCR "gorilla" shock cord mounts, with a steel leader mounted to the engine tube. They would be pre-assembled for strength (over 1,000 breaking strength) with a 12" steel cable, with an attachment loop for the shock cord and a loop to fit around the engine tube.

You would need to assemble them when building the kit, but it would be simple. You put the larger loop around your engine tube, and pass the leader through a 1/4" hole into the top centering ring. The shock cord would tie onto the top attachment loop. You would then put a little epoxy on the loop around your engine tube, and done.

The entire piece would be pre-assembled, steel cable with aluminum clasps creating the two mounting loops.

I am projecting that I could sell them at 3 for $10 including shipping....they could also be sold to small kit manufacturers to add into their kits, probably at some type of discount.

Thoughts? Interest?

Trying to get a sense if there is a market for these before I purchase all of the materials.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

1000# test is way overkill for mid-power rockets. You can accomplish the same thing with a length of kevlar yarn for probably 50 cents.

Also, thin materials that don't give a little are prime causers of small zippers (or worse). Ejection even modestly off apogee causes the wire/thin material to slice into the the top of the body tube.

For mid-power rockets, I prefer the LOC Precision shock cord mounting style. It is uber-simple and I have never seen or heard of one failing.

Sorry, I just don't think there is a legitimate product there.

--Lance.

Just a heads up - these mounts are leaders and not meant to be shock cords...so the top loop ends partway inside the body tube, and you tie your shock cord (i.e. elastic, kevlar, nylon, etc.) to it - so there is no chance of a zipper from it because the steel is no where close to the end of the tube.

I have always avoided the LOC shock cord mounts because of the potential to hang a parachute up on the mound of epoxy - I always go with a shock cor mounting to the engine mount for that reason - keeps the inside of the tube clear...but that's just me.

Dan

Originally posted by DWolman
these mounts are leaders and not meant to be shock cords...so the top loop ends partway inside the body tube
This is a more desireable configuration, I suppose, but if they are pre-fabricated, how can you control the length? If your leader is designed for a 15" tube and mine is 14", won't it be zipper-city?
Originally posted by DWolman
...so there is no chance of a zipper ...
This is a pretty bold statement.

--Lance.

Back