3M Finesse versus other polishing / glazing / rubbing compounds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKROSNEY

Reaction score
In my continuing exploration of techniques/materials in obtaining that most desireable glass-like finish on my LP models, I've been reading some prior postings and have soaked up a fair bit of what's been talked about in the past in this forum and have started playing around with what the automotive body finishing industry has to offer.

Let me first say that I don't have the means, experience, nor the inclination to chase the myriad of options in autobody painting. I'm strictly a spray-can kind of painter (I like Krylon). I'm just looking at what is available off the shelf to help me prep, prime and between paint coats finish my models.

So to practice my technique, here's my starting point. The sustainer stage of my 2-stage Fat Boy. Done up in a US Navy Blue Angel paint scheme.

There's a few nicks here and there. It's had a fair number of flights. Originally I was going to "Future coat" the paint job, but just never got around to it.

... Bill

I tried to track down the highly recommended 3M Finesse-it product but had problems locating it.

One automotive supply body shop store didn't carry it, he had other 3M products. But was willing to order me a gallon of it.

Yikes $$$$$$

I settled for some "rubbing compound" that he had on the shelf.

I must say I was blown away by how simply buffing with the rubbing compound brought out the shine on a paint job.

Even better I actually re-did it again, but first wet sanded the paint job with a 3M Ultra-Fine Scotch-Brite pad. Then went at it again with the rubbing compound.

The attached image shows a before and after image of the rocket. I tried to zoom in on the specular (sp?) highlights, right at the NC - Body tube joint. This is where are those imperfections show up glaringly.

The before aspect shows a roughness to the paint job. Orange-peel? It's interesting to note that the body shows it rougher than the NC. Perhaps related to how the paint was laid down. I always paint the NC separately from the body.

The after images show a dramatic improvement. Still some "pitting" but I think that's related to the wet sanding I did. I used a Scotch-brite pad, perhaps I should of taken it down a grade coarser.

... Bill

Here's the "rubbing compound" I used. 3M's Perfect-it II Rubbing Compound.

I really wanted to try the Finesse-it product (since it's had such outstanding reviews). But I settled for the Perfect-It product.

Interestingly, while the Perfect-it is referred to as a rubbing compound; Finesse-it is actually found on the 3M site under the polishes / glazes category.

While the Finesse-it does exhibit some rubbing compound properties (it will remove some paint according to historical posts) it's probably not as aggresive as the Perfect-it stuff.

I have two questions. First, has anyone compared the Finesse-it product to other 3M products. Is Finesse-it the "best", or folks are just happy with what they found when they used it?

The second question is since I've used this rubbing compound, do I follow this treatment up with a polishing or glazing product?

3M has so many products (machine glazes, hand glazes, older products, newer products, products that are part of a "system", etc.) that's I find it impossible to know what to try.

Anybody have experiences / lessons learned out there that they'd like to share.

Thanks.

... Bill

Originally posted by BKROSNEY

... Done up in a US Navy Blue Angel paint scheme.

... Bill

Very cool paint scheme. Here's a Guardian done w/ the same theme.

bmhiii

I personally havn't tried buffing my rockets to a high gloss finish, I just end up using quite a few coats of clear and sanding with 800 grit sand paper 1st followed by 1500 or 2000 grit as I go on. I can typically get a nice glass like finish even though I'm stuck using spray cans for now.

https://rockets.bushmaster73.com/pics/bushrocket.jpg

hard to see it in that pic but the white part especially looks like glass (cracks like it too when I drill it or it hits the playa too hard)

Originally posted by BKROSNEY
Here's the "rubbing compound" I used. 3M's Perfect-it II Rubbing Compound.

I really wanted to try the Finesse-it product (since it's had such outstanding reviews). But I settled for the Perfect-It product.

Interestingly, while the Perfect-it is referred to as a rubbing compound; Finesse-it is actually found on the 3M site under the polishes / glazes category.

While the Finesse-it does exhibit some rubbing compound properties (it will remove some paint according to historical posts) it's probably not as aggresive as the Perfect-it stuff.

I have two questions. First, has anyone compared the Finesse-it product to other 3M products. Is Finesse-it the "best", or folks are just happy with what they found when they used it?

The second question is since I've used this rubbing compound, do I follow this treatment up with a polishing or glazing product?

3M has so many products (machine glazes, hand glazes, older products, newer products, products that are part of a "system", etc.) that's I find it impossible to know what to try.

Anybody have experiences / lessons learned out there that they'd like to share.

Thanks.

... Bill

Bill:
Your trying to compare apples and oranges.
Rubbing compounds are disigned to aggresively remove scratches and other surface dings.

Finessit-II is a polishing glaze.
Used on auto polyurethanes you'd rub forever to remove a deep surface scratch with Finessit. Not so on plain old enamels (spraycan paints) Use of rubbing compounds on aerosol applied emanels will remove most of your finsih very quickly. Finessit is Ideal for this application as it is far less aggressive while polishing the area applied. You can take your worst Orangepeeled krylon model and remove all or most of the damage (provided the enemel is applied in enough coats) to make a mirror smooth finish without resorting to sanding or rubbing compounds.

Finessit-II is sold in Quarts as well as gallons. but it's still over $20.00/Qt last I checked.
You'll Likely only find the material "in Stock" at automotive finish distributors. Folks who sell Dupont, Sickens or PPG tupe automotive paints to bodyshops & refinishers. We purchase ours from two sources Harrington automotive and Matto's inc. One sells PPG the other Dupont paint products.
We as a hobby have known about rubbing compounds for many years, polishing compounds are a much newer addition to our finishing techniques stable. Don't confuse one with the other.
If your looking for that perfect flawless finish on a model from spary can applied paints your gonna have to fine a source for 3M Finessit-II or it's next generation product. Our 3m Factory rep told me this morning he does not know of a better product in his "Automotive finishing" line for what we are doing.
Hope this helps.

John (Micromeister)...

Thanks for your comments and your respected experience.

I gathered that the Perfect-It was a rubbing compound and hence a lot more aggresive than the Finesse-It stuff. I DID NOT consider the fact that the automotive paints were a LOT tougher than the Krylon sprays and hence any aggresive rubbing compound would have to be used with a lot of caution.

As you say the gentleness of the Finesse-It product makes it ideally suited for our model requirements.

Now, just to find it. In Canada don't have quite the same variety of outlets as yourself, but I will continue to search. I did find it available it 1 gals, but I find it hard to fathom that even in a smaller Canadian market the 1 Qt size would not be available. I will continue to search.

Attempting to wade through the myriad of 3M products and options I would be interested if you get a chance to talk to your 3M rep what his impressions are of these other 3M products which appear to fit the bill of a final polishing glaze...
- 3M Imperial Hand Glaze
- 3M Perfect-It 3000 Finishing Glaze

Thanks again for your efforts...

... Bill

My alter ego is a "car guy". I've used 3m products over the years and they work great. If they're not available locally, you can always mail order. Here is a place I've used before...

https://www.superiorcarcare.net/3mautapprod.html

The best polishes I've ever used are from https://www.zainostore.com

The Zaino polish has to be used to be believed.....it works wonders on a black car. (Like a Buick Grand National :) )
Hmmmm....I may have to try some on a rocket....

You guys actually polish and buff your rockets? Now I'm impressed!

My greatest finishing effort so far has been the few coats of clearcoat.

OKTurbo, Micromeister and any others who may have an alter ego "car guy" or "gal"

John (aka Micromeister) speaks wonderfully of the 3M Finesse-It Finishing Material product. According to his 3M rep "he does not know of a better product in his "Automotive finishing" line for what we are doing."

A glowing endorsement and good enough for me.

My problem is trying to find the stuff locally in the 1 Qt size. If I have to, I'll mail-order, but because of it being a liquid shipping is a concern and probably will cost twice of what the product is worth if I have to go cross-border (i.e. I'm in Canada).

So..... based on my snooping around the 3M web-sites there are other finishing polishes/glazes. I understand the need for a "gentler ... kinder...(oops getting off track here)"... a less harsh polishing agent because of the softness of typical spray can paints. My question is if THESE OTHER PRODUCTS are available locally and THEY are "just as good" as the Finesse-It product for our modelling needs, then I'll buy them.

But, if Finesse-It is THE product. Well, I'll continue the search.

The other 3M products I was interested in feedback on that I had found were...

- 3M Imperial Hand Glaze
- 3M Perfect-It 3000 Finishing Glaze

Any feedback at all would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Calm and clear skies... Bill

Originally posted by akpilot

Mine has been actually priming and painting a few of my rockets. :p

Originally posted by akpilot

AKP:
It gets to be sorta of an obsession;) I used to use 600 - 3600 grit polished wet/dry papers to sand and polish out "rough spots" on my models. Then wax the heck out of them.
This all started with cluster Altitude events, where babies butt smooth finish made the difference between winning or just placing. When I found Finessit-II OH Man is made the job a bit easier...IT IS NOT A QUICK PROCESS! but at least it is something you can do while watching TV or other diversion;)
Now I do it to every model I build and retro on older model finishes that aren't as good. I even do all my Micro's this way.
Heres a view of a 2x1/8A cluster Altitude model that is sparyed with 2 coats of candyapple Grape testors and buffed with Finessitt-II, waxed with Nu-Finish. Slick as Snakesnot:D

Back