launching mid power rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f16fan12

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just getting into mid power rocketry and will soon start work on a PML Io, that I think has a 1/4" launch lug. My question is what I should use to launch it. I only have my estes launch pad and rod that's ok for engines A-C I'm sure. But this is bigger. So what pad/rod do you suggest, and how much is it. I don't really wanna spend a lot!

You can make a cheap pad out of PVC, you can use steel 1/4" rod for the launch rod. its cheap and easy to make.

Aerotech Mantis pad. I have one its a great pad for up to G motors. Even though the biggest I've flown off it is a only a C motor. LOL. There is no place in Sacramento really to launch any big motors. The only con about the mantis is it cost like $100.

I'm not sure which launch controller you use, but you'll need a 12 volt launch controller for the composite motors you'll be using with the Io whether they are of the single use or reloadable variety. The launch controllers that come with the Estes starter sets are only 6V and won't work.

The Aerotech Interlock controller connects to your car battery. It sells for about $45. There are others available as well. Estes did make a 12V system at one time that used rechargable NiCads. I think you can still find it from some dealers from time to time or perhaps on Ebay.

HTH

You can easily make your own launcher and controller for a lot less than buying them. Do a search and you will find a few threads on each.

I think it depends on what you want out of your model rocket experence.
I've alway been one of those who buillt everything myself, If I couldn't build it I didn't need it:D
I've also alway believed its our ground support equipment that says alot about our hobby while we are out retrieveing our models. To that end I've always tried to make my launchers and controllers as interesting or more so then the model being flown. even before Large Model Rockets (LMR's) were added to the FAA's Far requlations I build my semi-Self contained Launcher/controller because I kept leaving things home on launch day. this little beasty ended up at about 45 pounds so I can launch just about any model I'd like to build ( I don't fly anything over 3.3lbs ever). the only "extras" needed not contained in this launcher are 6 foot launch rods and an External 12V Gel-Cell for LMR clusters. Solar/capacative discharge and on-board Ni-Cad backups, controller with 30' of cable, 1/8, 3/16" and 1/4" x 3 foot launch rods, and HD battery drop wires are all contained in the launcher body and hollow legs.
Not what everyone would want I'd amagine, but I haven't had to buy any kind of additional launch equipment since about 1986:D

that certainly looks like a great project, but I'm not really very experienced with building things and making plans for things and stuff like that....maybe I'd try to build something like that if I had plans for it...thanks!

Oh, and another question.

If I have a launch lug of size 1/4", could I launch it on a rod of 1/8" diameter?

The 1/8" rod in a 1/4" rod would be wobbly but still guide the rocket, the problem is a 1/8" rod might not be strong enough for the rocket. What motors do you plan on using? I would go to the hardware store and get a cheap 4-6 foot 1/4" steel rod myself...

Ok, just checking. I don't actually have a 1/8" rod, but I was just wondering if it would do. Motor...probably an F or G. There isn't much of a price difference between 1/8" and 1/4" is there?

The rod will fit into the lug, but I would definetely not reccomend it. If the rocket is big enough to warrant a quarter inch lug, then it will probably just bend over on a 1/8 inch rod. A quarter inch rod is nto expensive, and will provide a lot more "stability" on the pad. Especially on a PML rocket. I would not launch that on anything less than a 1/4 inch rod.

Latest posts

Back