What size 80-20 rail for Acme conformal rail guides?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter

Reaction score
I'll be flying my GL 4" Talon using Acme conformal rail guides. I searched some previous posts but could not come to a consensus. I estimate the Talon (phenolic with Easyglas sock) to be about 10 pounds (?). I expect to fly primarily 4" projects off this rail (6" project someday down the road) with a length of either 6' or 10'.

I've used our clubs' Blacksky extreme rail system with good / smooth results previously. How does 80-20 Inc. compare and what series works well (10-10, 15-15, 40-40?) with Acme guides.

Thanks in advance! - Peter

Use any of 10 system rails (like the 1010 rail, which is the basic kind with slots on all 4 sides). Please correct me if I am wrong (this is what the buttons from railbuttons.com fit, they both say 1" rails ;) )

Peter

80-20 rails are aluminum extrusions used to make industrial enclosures, shelving, etc. https://www.8020.net/Default.asp

10 Series profiles, based on 1.00" increments and a .50" Centerline with slots for 1/4" screws.

15 Series profiles, based on 1.50" increments and a .75" Centerline with slots for 5/16" screws

25 Series profiles, based on 25mm increments and a 12.5mm Centerline with slots for 6 mm screws.

40 Series profiles, based on 40mm increments and a 20mm Centerline with slots for 8 mm screws

Go to their website to get more details.

Most folks use railbutton for their rockets. https://www.railbuttons.com/rb/

Check the shipping costs when purchasing a rail. A 6 foot rail is substantially cheaper to ship than an oversized 8 or 10 ft rail. If you have a good solid launch pad, a 1" rail is adequate for 50-60 pound rockets.

Bob

While the Acme guides will fit nicely on the 1010 extrusions, there is a risk. You have a machined aluminum to machined aluminum mating surface and as such are a prime candidate for binding if wind pushes the rocket sideways while on the pad.

I strongly encourage you to fly the Acmes off the 1515 rail instead. It has a looser fit and is a bit more forgiving.

A

80/20 extrusion is hard anodised(60 to 70 rockwell !)so there should be no issue with the aluminum galling.

Thanks guys! 15-15 sounds like the way to go, while the 80-20 componets may be hardened the Acme guides aren't...The Blacksky system I've seen & used (over $100!) might be actualy 15-15 anodized black as is a bit more tolerant (wider) than 10-10 rails I've seen.

That's the stuff.

Works just fine for mid-power with plastic railbuttons. ZERO rod whip.

Back