MMX Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliveroonie

Reaction score
I just finished my MMX downscale of the Mercury Redstone. I used plans from Delta 7 Studios and just told the printer to 1/4 the plans. The body tube is basically 10.5 mm in diameter, if you are looking for a close match.

I printed the rocket on glossy paper because I wanted to check the rocket parts for fit, etc. After I see how this puppy flies, I will then print it on a more durable card stock, if necessary.

I did add card stock between the fins. Otherwise, they would have been a) extremely flimsy (finsy?) and b), there would have been less surface area for the glue to adhere to.

Enjoy,
Clive

Clive,

Good job on your Mercury Redstone!

I have also made a MMX conversion from the Delta 7 plans.

I don't think that I made it quite as small as yours, but it still got real good altitude.

Good enough to get it stuck about 50 ft. up in a rocket eating tree.

I used 65 lb. paper with an extra layer between the fins.

Bob:

How tall is your version? Mine measures 6.25" from tip to tail.

Clive
(this is my 100th post. Now I am entering the arena of the big 3 digit boys...)

This may sound like a dumb question, but what does MMX mean?
Nice Mercury Redstone!-what's it fly on?-13mm motors?:)

MMX:

micro-maxx motors from Quest. NAR lists the impulse as 1/8A. There are no delay options. They are all about 1 second after burnout.

The motor diameter is 6 mm. Check out Fliskits and Aerospace Speciality Products
(https://www.asp-rocketry.com/) for some companies that offer micro maxx kits.

Also, Art Applewhite Rockets offers some kits that are for micromaxx. The motors can be purchased in most quality hobby stores, some Walmarts, and online places like e-hobbies.com

Clive

I have a 'full scale' version that flies great on MMX motors. I bet the 1/4 scale will really scoot!

That looks great Clive! Be sure to bring it to the next ASTRE launch!!

Ph

Originally posted by cliveroonie
How tall is your version? Mine measures 6.25" from tip to tail.

Clive

I'm not exactly sure how tall it was because the dreaded rocket eating tree got it. The Juno-1 pictured with it is 4.5" tall so I'm guessing it was pretty close to the size of yours.

The 'full scale' version is now 10.25", less the top section of the escape tower, which came off mine and hasn't been replaced. Just remembered - my EMRR review says the entire rocket was 11.25"

Wow. A 10 + " Mercury Redstone on a micromaxx motor.

Ain't it cool? Those little motors can really haul.

Paper ain't that heavy :) This is one of my favorite MMX rockets. It attains a reasonable altitude...and you can find it. I have actually lost a couple of my higher performance MMX models :eek:

Clive,

Great looking model!

I can't believe no one has said this yet...

Clive...

58853main_image_feature_171_jw4.jpg

...LIGHT THIS CANDLE!!!!

Great photo. Who is that? Gus Grissom or Al Shepard?

Can't tell looking at just the eye brows and nose.

Had a great launch today using the 'ol micromaxx motor (MMX II, I believe). Great boost, nice coast. The rocket was easy to spot all the way up. I didn't use a streamer, but it was still easy to spot coming down, and the rocket actually had a gentle recovery, with the main body coming down horizontally.

When I went to load up the rocket for the next flight, one of the fins snapped off due to my carelessness. I will have to reglue the fin back on again this evening.

Clive

Back