Airfest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful! That fourth picture is good, you've gotta love a launch pad you can climb up! The guy in the right of that picture isn't lighting up a cigeratte, is he?

Phil

Originally posted by WiK
....snip....The guy in the right of that picture isn't lighting up a cigeratte, is he?

Phil

I don't know why not.
The other guy in the photo is smokine one! :eek:
They don't call him Wildman for nothing. :D

Greg

Awesome Pictures!!!

The witness for my Jr L1 smokes and builds motors at the same time even smokes while placing the igniter in the motor. I would say the more dangerous part is smoking because someday smoking those cigerattes will catch up to them if you know what I mean.

Holy jumping catfish, what an awesome launch!! Was that a single sparky P motor, or a cluster of motors totalling P impulse?

BTW, I recall that after the Rocket Challenge aired on Discovery, a bunch of folks had a cow over the scenes of Tim prepping his rocket while smoking.

H-O-L-Y COW!!!! So awesome!!!! That's gotta be a big 'ole skid cluster.

SWEET!

Haha...yeah...Tim always seems to have a cig in his pics.

It was a big cluster - 7 motor, iirc.

Originally posted by 11Bravo
I don't know why not.
The other guy in the photo is smokine one! :eek:
They don't call him Wildman for nothing. :D

Greg

I'm going blind. :rolleyes:

How dangerous/idiotic is that?!

Phil

Here are some more pics of the Wildman Project that my dad got. They aren't quite as high quality (they were taken from much farther away), but they're still neat.

Gotta love the flames that are longer than the rockets:

Another great project. Glad it went off without a hitch. Guess MWPIII should be a good one to be at.

Ya gotta love those big sparky motors!! Sure wish I could get some sparkies out here in CA.

Here is OKTURBO's and my Bomarc's ready for their drag race.

Originally posted by WiK
I'm going blind. :rolleyes:

How dangerous/idiotic is that?!

Phil

Not too much dangerous or idiotic.

A vendor that used to service the Midwest launches had an ashtray that he cast of APCP, just to make a point. - it never did burn up that I'm aware.

While I wouldn't smoke while prepping a solid motor (I don't smoke anyway) I've seen it done several (hundred?) times, and I've never seen a propellant grain start burning in a prep area. I'm not saying here that I advocate smoking while building a solid motor - I do think this is idiotic, and shouldn't be done by anyone.

That said, I can't see any danger with smoking in the general vicinity of a fully prepped rocket, other than the danger of actually smoking. ;) It's not like Tim's hot ash was going to fall free from his ciggy, catch a draft, and get blown up into the nozzle of the rocket.

Yeah, AP is pretty difficult to ignite by accident.

Even my highly catalyzed EX stuff won't go up when you spray sparks at it (I do this as a sensitivity test). I like that ashtray idea :) .

It's all good people! I guess Wildman is calming his nerves before sending that huge rocket skyward :) .

Great flight pics :D !

Originally posted by Todd Moore
That said, I can't see any danger with smoking in the general vicinity of a fully prepped rocket, other than the danger of actually smoking. ;) It's not like Tim's hot ash was going to fall free from his ciggy, catch a draft, and get blown up into the nozzle of the rocket.

Believe it or not, I've actually heard people make that sort of argument against smoking at launches. "What if you're smoking 20 feet away from me, and your ash blows past your car, table, etc and lands in my motor!" -- etc. I'm no fan of smoking, at all, but some folks need to get a grip and be a little more realistic.

This thread has been hijacked far enough off topic. Enough already.

If anyone else has other photos of Anarchy X, Wildman, Delta III, or other AIRFest projects, please share them with us.

As far as I know, AIRFest is the first launch other than BALLS where multiple 'P' impulse level rockets were successfully launched. This launch was truly this year's domestic LDRS. In fact, there were over 125 registered flyers and about 500 flights for the weekend. Pretty incredible.

--Lance.
KLOUDBusters

Originally posted by llickteig1
This thread has been hijacked far enough off topic. Enough already.

Sorry, Lance.

I didn't mean to rain on your serious rocket parade ;)

Please cary on ;)

Agreed Lance, it was an incredible launch, by far the largest I have ever attended. You folks did a great job!

A friend of mine came up on Sat and Sun, Tim Sapp. Some of you may know him, he is an L3CC in the Dallas area. Tim took some incredible pictures on those two days, and has posted some of them on his website.

https://www.sappgeeks.com

Look under Photos on the left of the page and click on rockets.
He has several events including last year's AirFest. Check it out!

To keep my post on topic....

Wow, cool pics, awesome rocket, you da man, etc.

Now...

If smoking a few feet from rockets is safe, and happens all the time, publically, and on TV.....why not change the safety code to permit it, so people aren't blatantly breaking the safety code all the time?

Thanks for the compliments, Jim. We were glad to have you and lots of Texas frients come up and I enjoyed finally meeting you.

Yes, I met Tim and Beth at LDRS 22. My heart aches for Tim and the boys every time I hear of him or watch Rcoket Challenge or LDRS 22 videos.

Anyway, thanks for posting the link to Tim's site. Nice photos as always by Tim plus THE FIRST PHOTOS I"VE SEEN OF MY LEVEL 3 LAUNCH!!! Whoo Hoo!!!

Sorry. Now back to regular programming. I need to call my photographer buddy that was there and get more PHOTOS OF MY LEVEL 3 LAUNCH!!! Dang. Ppffffttt! Sorry.

--Lance.

P.S. Jim, can you PM me with Tim's e-mail address.

Back