"club" launch and some very cool photos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacecowboy

Reaction score
Up from So. Texas to Kansas city for a "club" launch over Labor day weekend. VP ran the camera (me) while Prez hit GO.
AND I GOT SOME EXCELLENT PIX.

95% of what I flew was scratchers.

Pix in order :
1) Coral Snake III on 2 x E9-4. Beaut flight.
a mailing tube. No investment, using leftover fin material and borrowed a NC from another bird. The C-rings are corrogated cardboard, the MMT are rolled up filing folders coated with yellow glue, rolled around a spent motor casing.
2) my AMRAAM * 2.25 upscale of the Estes kit, which turns out, is about 1/2 scale of the real thing.
3) AM*2.25 off the pad on F23-7FJ
4) AM*2.25 in the air !
5) The Prez's Duece. . . .in the air. . . .

We had 4 club firsts. . . .Prez did an airstart. I flew the scratch cantilever AP cluster on 2 F20-4, first flight, only one engine lit, I figured major screw. Nope, it flew pretty well. Second flight was perfect. Magnificent. Aerial Photos with the Astrocam.

Thanks
funny how us Suth'ners think alike. . . .

The Pic is sweet as flapjacks in maple syrup with a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon on top !

I wish I could post the movie of the Prez's airstart, but it is too big

Originally posted by spacecowboy
Thanks
funny how us Suth'ners think alike. . . .

The Pic is sweet as flapjacks in maple syrup with a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon on top !

amen to that!

I don't know Who TF ? decides where a 95% scratch launch window that belongs under scratch, and decides to move it to the Events column, but FM.

FT. You won't hear from me again.

If you read the forum descriptions under the name, the scratch build is mainly for threads about building/built scratch rockets. Yes, in there some of the threads have flight photos, but thats after 2 or 3 weeks of the thread being open about the design. The Events section is accualy were this post belongs, because even though 95% of the rockets are scratch, its about a Launch Event you recently had.

I didnt understand your last abbreviation (got your first one loud and clear) but dont go and not post on here anymore (if thats what FT, You wont hear from me again, means)

Not gonna beg you to stay, but maybe you should look at how petty this is that your mad at, and reconsider.

Originally posted by karatekicker271

I didnt understand your last abbreviation (got your first one loud and clear) but dont go and not post on here anymore (if thats what FT, You wont hear from me again, means)

Not gonna beg you to stay, but maybe you should look at how petty this is that your mad at, and reconsider. [/B]

Well said. Those were some very nice pictures as well. Loved the Deuce in the air.

I don't know Who TF ? decides where a 95% scratch launch window that belongs under scratch, and decides to move it to the Events column, but FM.

A "Club Launch" sounds like an event to me...KWIM?

Know What I Mean?

Stay awhile, the photos were cool...KWIMV?

Know What I Mean Vern? :D

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
Know What I Mean Vern?

Did they show those commercials in Alabama? I always thought they only played those in Texas!

(There's a BlueBelle warehouse right up the street from me, with semi trucks drivin' in-and-out all the time.....you would think some extra choc chip mint might fall off one of those trucks, once in a while?)

I thought he was everywhere.
A good friend of mine was in the movie 'Ernest goes to jail'
( long haired prisoner lifting weights #2).

I didn't realize TRF was so prim and proper.
Like I said, 95% of what I flew last weekend was SCRATCH !!!! Seemed to me like it belonged in the scratch post.

Yeah, I've cooled off.

MY only regret, not getting a good pad shot of the cantilever AP cluster (like Duece).

Very cool pics, spacecowboy. I especially like the in-flight shot of the AMRAAM.

On the subject of your thread being moved, I see where you're coming from. Personally, I think this thread would've best fit here in the events forum, but, at the same time, it would have been just fine where it was. I think the admins power to move and delete threads and posts is slightly abused...this power should be limited to truly problematic instances. Although moving your post may get you more views, it was almost like you were being corrected, and I believe that's somewhat demeaning. Who cares if it's "better suited" for another forum? It's not causing any real turmoil.

Just my 2 cents...I'm with ya, bro. Once again, sweet pics!

Marv
Thank you for the compliments on the pix. I always like a good pad shot, but that in flight pic of AM is without a doubt, my best shot ever.

I wish I had pix of the AP cantilever cluster.

I totally agree with you backing me, everything you said is my point !!!!

Marv
Thank you for the compliments on the pix. I always like a good pad shot, but that in flight pic of AM is without a doubt, my best shot ever.

I wish I had pix of the AP cantilever cluster.

I totally agree with you backing me, everything you said is my point !!!!

No problem, and, yes, I wish you had a pic of that cluster.

Speaking of a combination of both of those pics, check the link below. This is a photo taken a few years back of my old THOY Nighthawk on it's first flight--a cluster of (2) F23FJ's and (1) G38FJ. There's more than one pic there, I know, but you'll be able to identify the one I'm talking about:D

https://www.geocities.com/rocketboymgh/nov00.html

Originally posted by marvSRG
I think the admins power to move and delete threads and posts is slightly abused...this power should be limited to truly problematic instances. Although moving your post may get you more views, it was almost like you were being corrected, and I believe that's somewhat demeaning. Who cares if it's "better suited" for another forum? It's not causing any real turmoil.

Just my 2 cents...I'm with ya, bro. Once again, sweet pics!

I'm just trying to keep the peace around here. I'm sorry if I upset anyone. I should seriously start thinking about quitting my day job so that I can thoroughly review each post and make sure threads are where they are supposed to be. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by eugenefl
I'm just trying to keep the peace around here. I'm sorry if I upset anyone. I should seriously start thinking about quitting my day job so that I can thoroughly review each post and make sure threads are where they are supposed to be. :rolleyes:

I'm not upset...just putting my opinion out there. My opinion is pretty much the opposite of what your slightly sarcastic response said--which was, by the way, justified since you have the right to an opinion in addition to your administrative duties. What I'm saying is that you don't need to take the time to see if the post is in the correct forum or not. Also, I don't consider it a "disturbance of peace" when a certain thread might fit better in another forum.

Personally, I believe that your decision to switch the forums for this post was completely understandable. Why you did this is also clear--it was better suited for the Events forum. The thing is, small adjustments like this--while understandable--can sometimes rub somebody the wrong way; and in this particular situation, this happened with spacecowboy, and we can't debunk his reaction.

SO...how do we avoid these little squabbles? I think we should simply try to limit large edits like this to things that are actually causing trouble. This is merely a suggestion which I believe would cut down on little flare-ups like we've seen here.

It's just opinion. I'm trying to, at all costs, avoid hostility, not generate it.

Personally, I think the (abbreviated) language (if they mean what I think they do... Though it could just be me ;) ) in this post should be sorted, rather than debating where this thread should be placed.

Excellent pictures btw!

Phil

Very good points, WiK...I didn't even consider that!

A "DO'H" moment for me...about to get a little ticked b/c I thought the post was deleted, I finaly realized it was switched back to the scratch forum. Don't know how I missed it considering it had to have been switched since before my last post... I guess I was too into writing my response to notice. Thanks, man.

Look at the time! I need sleep. Haha, that's what it is! Gah, I have a class at 10AM tomorrow...er...today...........good night.

Originally posted by marvSRG
The thing is, small adjustments like this--while understandable--can sometimes rub somebody the wrong way; and in this particular situation, this happened with spacecowboy, and we can't debunk his reaction.

Point taken, but you also have to understand that I get quite a few requests weekly to move to stuff around because there is typically not much satisfaction in someone's forum being raided by misplaced content. I'm just the pawn in the middle of the chessboard and players on both side of the board want to move me around.

Also, getting cussed at, whether abbreviated or not, also tends to seriously "debunk" moderators and seriously "rub us the wrong way" hence the mild attempt at sarcasm. Some comments like "abuse of power" really make me chuckle. If I had any power I would have curbed Hurricane Katrina someplace other than land.

Personally, I looked at the pictures myself and enjoyed them as I do many other "in flight photos." All I know is that for a "Scratch Build" forum other members were probably expecting to see someone's documented hard work or "build in progress" pictures. At the end of the day - and if it's a long one - I might find some dissatisfaction in not finding those "build pictures" in this thread.

it is sometimes difficult for us posters to know excactly where a thread shoud go. That's why I like the way the moderators handle this stuff.

If I post in a particular forum and the moderators deem it necessary to move the the thread to a more appopriate forum I appreciate it and encourage them to do so.

I see no reason to get PO'd about a thread being moved.

I am grateful (as I am sure most all of us are) for the work all the moderators do here on TRF - they're hard work and attention to this web site really make it the best one out there for rocketry.

Kudos to euegenfl and all the other moderators.

Spacecowboy - glad you didn't really go away and thank you for the pictures!!

I OWE THE MODERATORS AND THE ENTIRE FORUM AN APOLOGY.

I lost my cool.

It's a tough call, event vs. scratch. My "event" was a total of 2 people. 95% of what I flew was scratch.

I guess I got miffed because all I build is scratch. I don't think I've built a kit in over a year. I may order components sometimes (my L1 bird), but I even build my own components sometimes.

To my delight at this "event", my buddy copied me on a CD spool bird, SCRATCH, and his flew a LOT better than mine did. My buddy, bmhiii, almost strictly flies kits with box paint jobs that are to die for !!!! I won't ever get that good of paint job.

So, here is my apology.
sc

I didn't realize TRF was so prim and proper.
Then you must not have been around for very long.

I'm moving the thread to the proper forum.

Back