Connecting ARTS to PC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MET

Reaction score
I have a new ARTS (altimeter) and I can't get it to connect to my PC or laptop. It usually says that it can't connect to the com port. The best that I can get is an error message that says "The altimeter is not in the correct state. Please verify that it is turned on and not currently busy." Any thoughts on how to get the connection (through the serial port) working?

Do you have the correct Com Port Selected? That is usually my problem, the other thing I've found is that you have to power it up after you plug it in but before you try to download data.

Have you flown it yet?

I'm replying from Neil's computer. Yes, I've tried all the com ports and I had my IT guys at work double check the ports, etc. I haven't flown it yet, but would like to this weekend if I can get comfortable that it is working.

Originally posted by MET
I have a new ARTS (altimeter) and I can't get it to connect to my PC or laptop. It usually says that it can't connect to the com port. The best that I can get is an error message that says "The altimeter is not in the correct state. Please verify that it is turned on and not currently busy." Any thoughts on how to get the connection (through the serial port) working?

The "can't connect to COM port" error means the COM port is busy. This can happen if you are trying to run more than one instance of the DataAnalyzer program, or if another program or device is using the COM port. If your computer has a modem, it's usually using COM 1 and you'll need to tell dataAnalyzer to use COM 2.

Also, you need to do things in the correct order.

1. Plug the ARTS download cable into the computer and the ARTS.
2. Start the DataAnanlyzer program.
3. Power up the ARTS.

When you power up the ARTS it should beep once or twice and then go silent.

Let me know if this helps or not.

Thanks, Jeff, I'll give that a try. The manual says to start the DataAnalyzer program and then connect the serial cable (page 8), so I've been doing it that way. After changing com ports, though, I've re-started the DataAnalyzer and received the same message. I'll let you know if it works, and thanks again.

Mike

3 beeps, and then an ascending beep. When trying to download the settings from the altimeter, you get the same message that it is in the wrong state.

Originally posted by Neil
3 beeps, and then an ascending beep. When trying to download the settings from the altimeter, you get the same message that it is in the wrong state.

Hi Neil,

Is your com port working ?

It seems the ARTS is not seing any RS-232 status lines giving the beeps you are getting.

I always check the port with a known device first,
do you know the port works with say something else ?

I plug in the Arts cable then into the serial port. I then load data dowload program, then power up the arts and then hit Diagnostics, chip and should get a xylophone noise at that time.

I'll try it with another device, but we bought two ARTS and I've tried them both on two different computers, getting the same results each time.

Mike (Neil's Dad)

Neil tried again and it took our settings when he: 1) connected the ARTS to the computer (it had been connected for over an hour), 2) opened the DataAnalyzer software, 3) opened the altimeter configuration dialogue box, and 4) then powered up. This seems to be the sequence that Jeff suggested, but it hadn't worked before.

The only difference that I see, is that the altimeter remainded connected to the PC for about an hour, but that may not be relevant.

I'll try again on my laptop tomorrow (at the office) and see if I have the same luck.

Thanks again for the help.

Do any of the PCs have a PDA attached? This can be a problem if you are running a program like HOTSYNC by Palm. It is constantly polling the assigned port keeping it busy.

You might also take the built in serial ports out of the picture and try a USB to serial adapter. It creates a logical serial port that is less likely to be tied up.

No PDAs attached, but I did think of going through the USB port and have an adapter to try today. We successfully changed the settings on the one, here at home, and I'll try the other on the laptop today. The laptop would be best, so that we can change settings in the field and download the data. It occurs to me that another difference when Neil got it to work was that he opened the settings dialogue box before powering up.

Mike

Just got it to connect by running it through the USB port with an adapter. I also shut Microsoft Outlook down. I synch it to a PDA, but I had disconnected all the cords. We've had trouble with other devices going through the serial port when PDAs have been used on the computer, and it may be related.

Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Back