Gas Prices and Launch Attendance

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tquigg

Reaction score
This morning I was cruising the internet and CNN Money, where I noted that Ben Brockwell, pricing analyst and Director of Pricing at the Oil Price Information Service is predicting $4.00 a gallon gas pretty soon.

Brockwell said with gasoline prices now exceeding $3 a gallon before even reaching the wholesale level, it doesn't take a genius to expect retail prices to hit $4 a gallon soon.

Is anyone out there concerned as to what impact this will have upon attendance at launches in the coming months or next year? It's already affecting our small group. There are two members of our group that have been planning to attend XPRS all year, and are now deciding to stay at home due to the price of gas.

This is starting to concern me as well, as we have many people who travel from all over Washington, Oregon and Idaho each month to attend our club launches. It would seem to me that things are going to be pretty slim for awhile for all of us. :(

Best Regards

Originally posted by tquigg
This morning I was cruising the internet and CNN Money, where I noted that Ben Brockwell, pricing analyst and Director of Pricing at the Oil Price Information Service is predicting $4.00 a gallon gas pretty soon.

Brockwell said with gasoline prices now exceeding $3 a gallon before even reaching the wholesale level, it doesn't take a genius to expect retail prices to hit $4 a gallon soon.

Is anyone out there concerned as to what impact this will have upon attendance at launches in the coming months or next year? It's already affecting our small group. There are two members of our group that have been planning to attend XPRS all year, and are now deciding to stay at home due to the price of gas.

This is starting to concern me as well, as we have many people who travel from all over Washington, Oregon and Idaho each month to attend our club launches. It would seem to me that things are going to be pretty slim for awhile for all of us. :(

Best Regards
High gas prices probably will affect attendance at launches, but I'm rather more concerned about the cost of driving to work and of my wife driving my kids to school.
:eek:

I know what you mean. I've got three vehicles. Two of them are now sitting, not being driven due to high gas prices. We have a small four-cylinder SUV that our son is driving to and from school, and the wife and I either walk, ride a bicycle, or a moped. I just bought a Honda Metropolitan moped that gets 105 mpg. It's REALLY paying for itself now!

What I'm worried about most of all is heating oil. I use about 400-500 gallons of heating oil each winter to heat the house. OUCH! :eek:

There has been talk on the Northwest Rocketry forum about carpooling or renting an RV for the trip to BALLS.

The price won't affect my attendance, but I might end up spending the night more often. Any extra costs will have to be figured in my entire rocket budget so what I fly might change.

It has already had an effect. People specifically said they would not drive from LA to Lucerne Valley for a launch last weekend.

People will also be spending mucho cash on gasoline to get to work or school and will have less to spend on model rocket motors and kits.

I've got the photovoltaic brochures in front of me now.

Best Regards

...Is anyone out there concerned as to what impact this will have upon attendance at launches in the coming months or next year? ...

Before this thread also gets locked, a few comments.

The price locally this morning went up as much as 15cents a litre up to 1.19. Was 1.03 yesterday. ( About 3.82US/ US gallon )

Hobby stores are already complaining about less traffic due to gas prices and a slowing of the economy.

Yes, the attendance will be affected. Just hopefully, prices go back down again. Until then, carpool, and try to get closer launch sites.

i'm sure it will keep some people from traveling but you should look at what the actual extra cost of the trip will be. The cost of a J350 is still more than a tank of gas.

Having a 700 mile roundtrip coming up to fly the Delta this weekend, that's been very much on my mind! I just found out today that I don't have to drive my Explorer, and instead will be able to car pool with a friend whose car gets over twice the mileage mine does.

Thank goodness I don't have to haul rocket parts down!

-Kevin

$3.82 a gallon US?!?!?! Ouch! Didn't realize our neighbors up north were feeling the pinch that bad as well! 12 gallons of gas here just cost me nearly $39.00. We're at $2.83, $2.93 and $3.03. right now. That's getting pretty close to the cost of a J350 ;)

On the other hand, the high cost of gas that necessitates cancelling / limiting trips to the big launches may turn out to have a positive impact on the (presumably closer) launches hosted by the local clubs. As noted in numerous other threads, the local clubs can certainly use the bolstering (I hereby declare that a word if it wasn't already).

My "local" club is a 2 1/2 hr drive!

Sorry guys...I'll be launching alone at my local airport.

Heck, they won't be flying any private planes!

What about the imapact on the economy?

Jeesh, I'm scared {removed by moderator}.

I know that it will effect me for I will not be able to attend as many High Power launches. But I am more worried about Food prices, My brother is a Truck Driver and he can hardly scratch out a living because of the price of fuel. So you know that Stores are going to have to raise prices to cover the cost of shipping.

The gas prices have necessitated the cancellation of our trip to AIRfest this weekend.
VERY disappointed.
Maybe (fingers AND toes crossed) next year.

Greg

So you know that Stores are going to have to raise prices to cover the cost of shipping.

And postage rates, and fuel for the farmers, and anything made of plastic...and OMG!!!

BEER!!! :eek:

No need to worry about beer. The Senate will pass a bill that mandates that all alcohol be extracted from beer to use as fuel.

;)

Originally posted by sandman
And postage rates, and fuel for the farmers, and anything made of plastic...and OMG!!!

BEER!!! :eek:

The modern world runs on oil. EVERYTHING we consume is dependent on it.

But...let's put some perspective into it. There is too much doom and gloom, plus there isn't a thing I can do about it anyway.

I'm going to AIRFest. It will be approximately a 450 mile round trip for me. My truck get approximately 17 mpg (closer to 21mpg on the highway). How much more will it actually cost me to go?

450 miles / 17 mpg = 26.5 gallons used

Let's say that gas has gone up $0.50 since I planned the trip.

26.5 gallons x $0.50 = $13.25 (cost of a large pizza)

Even at an increase of $1.00 a gallon its an extra $30. Yes...I don't like paying more, but I'm not going to let is stop me from doing what I enjoy. The budget will be tightened a bit, but we'll make it. The boys and I will eat some bologna and cheese sandwiches instead of McDonalds while we're gone. I probably won't be able to spend as much with the on-site vendors (sorry fellas), but I'm going to go fly some rockets!

John

To echo a couple previous responses... I am more concerned about traveling to work and heat this winter. My commute to work round trip is 3 hrs. Even in my Hyundia Accent, that still hurts.

What is the real kicker is the consumer is the bottom of the trickle down. We pay more for gas like everyone, but we pay more for food because it cost more to ship the food. We eat that cost. My vet charges more for farm visits, I eat that, the trash man, etc. etc. etc. It ALL comes out of my (our) pocket. Who do I get to jack up because gas has gone up??? No one, We just keep getting jacked by everyone else.

Gas $3.30 a gallon on the way to work today.
It is not that I can't afford a trip to a launch, I can't afford the motors ect.. because any extra money i might have is being sucked up from driving 50 miles one way to work each day.
I do worry about my job. I work in the automotive industry and high gas prices put a severe strain on new car sales.

When can we expect to get an affordable electric Car, I thank I would drive a Golf Cart if it were legal to drive on the street’s at least in town.

It is absolutely threatening my plans to attend the Freedom Launch, which I have been looking forward to since last year's launch was cancelled by Hurricane Frances.

No, I'm not talking about gas prices; I was perfectly willing to swing the $50 to travel from north Georgia to Orangeburg this weekend. I'm talking about actual gasoline shortages.

https://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050831/NEWS01/50831007/1001

I'll definitely be cancelling this weekend's plans if I can't get home.

As it is, gas just spiked up to +$3/gallon in metro ATL and cars are lined up at the pumps like its 1973.

Posts were pulled due to political content or quoting same. Since there is a good spectrum of responses already on this thread, it is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back