Slimline Motor Retainer In Boattail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For my next project (L2 attempt) I would like to add a boattail and have a Slimeline motor retainer recessed inside the boattail. Is the possilbe? Will the motor exhaust damage (melt) the boattail? Can the Slimline be in contact with the boattail? How far up the boattail can I recess the Slimline?

Thanks,

Alan

NAR 84045 L1

It is definitely doable, although flush is the farthest I would recess it. Just use a dremel or something similar to widen the opening at the base of the boattail, then install the slimline onto the MMT before installing the MMT into the rocket.

They make a slimline boattail also. Does a few different diameters.

Edward

Thanks for the input, but I think I need to go into a little more detail. I would like to take a nosecone and chop off the tip and use that for a boattail. Then have the slimline inside the boattail. Is that possilbe?

Thanks,

Alan

It will be liable to melt, don't use plastics for a boattail.
Mark

Originally posted by Mag
It will be liable to melt, don't use plastics for a boattail.

PML use a trimmed plastic nosecone for the Bullpuppy's boat tail. It doesn't melt.

For retention we sanded a little off the end of the boat tail to allow space for the retainer. Used a standard aeropac-style retainer. Looked great.

Back