SBC and high speed connection

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket Al

Reaction score
As the anniversary of moving here and changing internet providers is coming up, I got both an email and letter from SBC informing me that if I do another one year commitment to SBC DSL Express, they would "allow me" to keep my $26.95/month price, otherwise without the commitment, it would go month to month at $49.95. Curious as to what else was available from SBC, I went to their home page to check out what they offer for my area. Low and behold, there was an offer of the same DSL I have for $14.95/month. After carefully reading the terms (nowhere did it state "new customers", or mention a "product package" being required) and conditions, I decided that a diplomatic phone call to SBC would be in order.

To make a long story short, I mentioned the page, was told that it was only for new customers, ordering online, who had SBC long distance in addition to regular service. I mentioned that it penalizes long term customers, and that none of this was mentioned. She sympathized, and offered $19.95/month for the next year, no other changes in service necessary. Well worth the price of the call to their 800 number.

Don't take what they hand you, try for a deal with these people, negotiate everything.

Al

I hate SBC everytime they send out their work crews to upgrade something they always manage to cut a wire or two in half and leave me internetless for 3 days.

I gotta say I was never thrilled with Verizon, but they came through our neighborhood and put in fiber to the curb and could not have been more professional. They used shovels instead of a ditch witch, cut trenches every twenty or so feet, took the dirt from the trenches and placed it on a plastic sheet so as not to leave it in my grass, and took sod squares out when they cut so they could replace the damage when they were done. They finished my house in a bout an hour, didn't damage any pipes even though they had to trench under them, and left everything almost exactly as they found it.

Unbelievable and now I can get 15MBps at the house.

I had dropped their DSL for cable, but now I'm considering switching back.

Back