HPR Material Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I got my hands on a heavy-duty cardboard tube today - it was used to ship cylindrical bar stock cross-country.

Anywhoo, the tube is 4" OD with a .375" wall (measured the wall with dial calipers). The tube is marked with "152X4X.375" which I presume is PLIESxODxWALL. The tube is about 4 feet long or so, and is pretty heavy - I'd estimate that it's 10lbs or so (I haven't weighed it).

Question is, is this any good for HPR use? I'm thinking "J" power (use for Level 2 cert).

Thoughts?

Sure, as long as the tube is ok structurally, same standards apply here as for selecting a regular tube...

My ACME Spitfire upscale (also my L2 Cert bird) was OX mailing tube, 5.375 od, 3/8 wall. no glassing is needed and this kind of tube would be perfect for making a small rocket heavy, which could be good for a cert.

Good Luck on your Cert, dont for get pictures!

Scott McNeely

Those big tubes work pretty good but make sure they're round. I found that my dad's L2 has started to warp and has gotten soft from moisture.

A little fiberglass (2oz) should help seal it and help keep a round shape

A "54mm " J would be good for more altitude, you could switch to a K.
10 pound tube plus fins and laundry would weigh 13-14 pounds when done so a "38" will not push it for altitude, if that is what ya is seeking.
Mark

Back