Sugar Shot 2 Space =advanced=

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
All,

Here is a web site to keep an eye on. This is a project to use a sugar powered rocket to reach space.

The project is headed up by none other than Bill Colburn the father of Candy motors, and Richard Nakka, who made sugar motors a science...

https://sugarshot.org/

Very cool!

Shold be very interesting.

Don't have to worry about LEUPs do they?

Having Bill and Richard is probably the best team you could get. Hopefully they can get a good performance design that won't weigh a ton!

Sounds very cool. Best of luck to any team at attemps this. From what I've heard about sugar motors is they tend to CATO.

Originally posted by Rocket Guy 1317
From what I've heard about sugar motors is they tend to CATO.

...hmmmm I have seen APCP "give forth" more than KNCP...but I have seen a real bad KNSB motor made from a PVC tube cut loose...nothing left of that PML 1/4 Patriot I can tell you that. Happened in Orangeburg a few years back. There is video on their web page, I believe it was a Nov 2003 EX launch if memory serves me...aw heck, heres the video:

https://www.tripolisc.org/modules/xoopsgallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album44

File name is "David Pope's Patriot Suffers Cato"

video courtesy of Tom Binford (a.k.a. Rocketjunkie)

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
...nothing left of that PML 1/4 Patriot I can tell you that.
Actually it looks like the nosecone and maybe payload section survived, at least for the explosion...:D
Reed

Originally posted by Reed Goodwin
Actually it looks like the nosecone and maybe payload section survived, at least for the explosion...:D
Reed

...they resemble the Patriot not...

The nosecone did survive as part of the payload...I helped pick up the pieces of the rest...lots of little pieces...none of it resembling the patriot :D

This is a perfect example, where a company like Quest should get involved.

For example, once the SS2S design is finished, Quest should supply it as a kit. This would then popularize and give much needed publicity to this effort. In return for each model sold, quest could donate say $1.00 to the SS2S effort.

They are selling T-shirts, why not authorized model rockets of the launch vehicle?

I also would like to have a scale or semi-scale model of the CSXT vehicle, the 1st Amateur vehicle to reach space.

Here is a web site to keep an eye on. This is a project to use a sugar powered rocket to reach space.

Johnnie, is this really a current project? Two of the documents are dated from this year, but the last "news" is from 8-2004.

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
Johnnie, is this really a current project? Two of the documents are dated from this year, but the last "news" is from 8-2004.

This is indeed an ongoing and current project. We are currently working off of the BEM document for the 1/4 scale motor.

The dating appears to be a typo, as this project only spawned last month.

indeed it is an actual real project. If iam not mistaken they are still doing tons of research and trying to get everything cleared to be able to do the launch. Theres tons of info on the sugarlist from nakka and others giving ideas and explanations. his is by far one of the coolest space shot projects ive ever seen making a actual sugar motor to hit space. Key factor it being sugar. But i heard the case for that rocket is going to be insane. Imagine all that sticky icky sugar ;)

And, imagine the smell eminating from THAT melting pot!
Better stop imagining before my keyboard is swimming in a puddle of drool :cool: . It really does smell nice.

:::......DROOOLLLLLSSSS......:::

See what ya gone and did...... i.. love.... sugar..... :)

It is Definitley a current project, we're currently working on finalizing the vehicle design and I believe the fabrication of the 1/4 scale motor was just started.

Please, everyone donate to this if you can..... this is such an awesome project, but it really won't be easy unless alot of support is recieved.

Originally posted by Nate
It is Definitley a current project, we're currently working on finalizing the vehicle design and I believe the fabrication of the 1/4 scale motor was just started.

Please, everyone donate to this if you can..... this is such an awesome project, but it really won't be easy unless alot of support is recieved.

The project is indeed moving along. I have completed preliminary drawings for the ballistic eval motor, and construction is near complete on some of the components.

This is gonna be good! :cool:

Very nice drawings Johnnie. To be honest, I thought there would be a lot less real activity, but it appear youse guys are serious ;)

Originally posted by rstaff3
Very nice drawings Johnnie. To be honest, I thought there would be a lot less real activity, but it appear youse guys are serious ;)

Oh, we are serious. The team leads in every category (and alot of the team members for that matter) are grossly well qualified for this. just a bunch of brilliant people putting a huge rocket into space. It's just such a thrill.

Once again, everyone buy a tee-shirt! :p

It is a very Interesting motor design, that will be quite an Amateur feat in itself...

quarterscale_bem.gif

Phase one burn with a 16 second delay followed by phase two burn...

The 1/4 scale BEM is expected to fire on or about the 22nd of this month...sans any delays.

Yes the motor is fascinating...not just the average melt, pack, and fire...that I haven't even mastered yet :cool: I'm on the list, but didn't follow all of the early discussions. Has anyone actually tried a 'two phase' motor? (no comments on electrical power here :p...you prolly would need another phase :)))

Oh, I wasn't impying the brain power isn't there as I'm familiar with many of the team members. What I was suprized at is that such a distributed team would actually move to hardware so quickly. Shows dedication!

Originally posted by rstaff3
Yes the motor is fascinating...not just the average melt, pack, and fire...that I haven't even mastered yet :cool: I'm on the list, but didn't follow all of the early discussions. Has anyone actually tried a 'two phase' motor?

The idea was put forth by Bill Colburn. He had stated that this design was successful with the military.

Here is a pic of the BEM nozzle nearly completed.

Photo courtesy of Randy Dormans.

The idea was put forth by Bill Colburn. He had stated that this design was successful with the military.

That gives me plenty of confidence.:rolleyes:
J

if you look at the upclose test video, the nozzle was already glowing red hot halfway through the first burn.
it looks to me like there was a nozzle blow by during the second burn, and from there it just went straight downhill....

that's just what it looks like though, someone on that team should be able to say for sure.

Richard Nakkas email said the the EMT tubing split along the seam during the second phase.

I just noticed that too actually. in the far away video you can see the liner get kicked, and then it just burns right through the case.

Back