A sad day...(AKA no more Plasti-Kote paint)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsexton

Reaction score
Im a "rattle can" spray paint kind of guy and have used a combination of Krylon and Plasti-Kote for the past few years with very good results. I especially like the Plasti-Kote high build primers and metallic laquers. I used to get my Plasti-Kote paint at Advance Auto stores and then all of a sudden about a year ago they stopped carrying that brand and started carrying Dupli-Color instead. Then, I found that Pep Boys carried the Plasti-Kote brand and have been shopping there for the past year.

Today I went to Pep Boys to pick up some more paint and I walked in and you guessed it -- no more Plasti-Kote. Instead they have also started carrying the Dupli-Color products. I asked the store manager what was going on and he said, "I've been at this store for the past 17 years and we've always carried Plasti-Kote spray paint. I go away for vacation one week and when I come back Plasti-Kote is gone and Dupli-Color is in its place -- and more expensive to boot!"

Does anyone else use the Plasti-Kote paints and if so where do you buy yours? For those of you that use Plasti-Kote are there any other spray paints that you like as well (besides Krylon)?

Originally posted by bsexton
Does anyone else use the Plasti-Kote paints and if so where do you buy yours? For those of you that use Plasti-Kote are there any other spray paints that you like as well (besides Krylon)?

I get Plastikote at Lowe's. I prefer Rustoleum's American Accents, for primer and regular coats, and Rustoleum Specialty Paints for metallics, high heat, and appliance epoxy.

It's interesting, but here in Richmond neither Lowe's nor Wal-Mart carry Plasti-Kote paint. You would think national chains would be more consistent with most of the product lines they carry...

Originally posted by bsexton
It's interesting, but here in Richmond neither Lowe's nor Wal-Mart carry Plasti-Kote paint. You would think national chains would be more consistent with most of the product lines they carry...

Not really...things sell differently in different areas of the country. Local management having the ability to customize inventory is important to keep customers happy. Home Depot tried the completely centralized inventory model and it failed. Customers either didn't like the subsititute products or they were really angry to find out a product was completely discontinued. I haven't seen any plasti-kote in St. Louis. I'm sure someone sells it, but none of the box stores here seem to.

Bruce,

Since you shop at Pep Boys, have you tried using the Varsity Brand White Sandable Primer that you can get there? I prefer this one over all others since it drys so quickly sands so easily. This primer seems to be universally compatable with other paints, I have yet to have a problem with Krylon, Rustoleum, Duplicolor, or Plasti-kote . Some times Pep Boys run a sale on this stuff for $1.00 a 12oz can. I drive over 40 miles to the nearest Pep Boys to buy this brand.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

I use Plastikote Spot Filler And Primer and I get it from Pep Boys here in Maryland. I will go there tomorrow and buy several cans if they still have it!:(

Originally posted by teflonrocketry1
Bruce,

Since you shop at Pep Boys, have you tried using the Varsity Brand White Sandable Primer that you can get there?

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055
No, but I will give it a try. Do you know if it is a "high build" primer?

Originally posted by rokitflite
I use Plastikote Spot Filler And Primer and I get it from Pep Boys here in Maryland. I will go there tomorrow and buy several cans if they still have it!:(
I love that primer as well and have been using it almost exclusively on all my models. Maybe this is a "regional thing" and your Pep Boys will still carry it. The store in Richmond did not sell the inventory they had left -- they simply wiped the shelves clean and put Dupli-Color products in their place.

I dont know how many and how spread out they are, but you can order online. ACE brand paint is my favorite. They have a special nozzle that reduces drip's and stuff like that. Sometimes I use a different brand if I need a better color but I have been using the ACE hardware brand for the last year.

Back