Scratch Building W/ Kids?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippen

Reaction score
I packed up all of our rocket building stuff last week so I didn't expect to be making this inquiry but here goes...

My 9-year-old just did his first rocket this summer--a Fat Boy. He's a creative sort who marches to the beat of his own drum so instead of looking at rocket catalogues and websites and asking us to buy something, he gathers up materials from around the house (TP and paper towel tubes, cups, tape, etc.) and putters a bit and then starts asking questions about how to make it fly. He's also started looking at rockets and parts of rockets in terms of when it's all together whether they look balanced or not. He rarely follows a traditional path in learning so I shouldn't have been surprised but given my (ahem) vast knowledge in rocketry :rolleyes: (translation: only one rocket under my belt) I could use some ideas/direction.

First, is there anything here at TRF or elsewhere on the web that outlines basic principles or steps in a simple manner?

Second, is there any "kit" available that contains some basic components (preferably reasonably priced)? Or alternatively what would you list as some basic things to order seperately--enough to have some options but not so much as to be overwhelming. He's going to need help on order of steps and cutting tasks whether it's from a kit or done by scratch.

Third, if there's anything else I ought to have asked and have missed, or you have any other thoughts for me, I'm all ears! Like I said, I didn't think we'd be going here and it's totally unknown territory to me.

Yes! What you seek is a designers special. It is a box o parts- grab bag containing various body tubes, nose cones, fin stock, recovery components, engine mounts and miscellanous goodies to let the imagination run. Estes designers special kits are a bit pricey, but they are also available from Red arrow hobbies, Apogee components, Fliskits and others sources.

I would also suggest the "Handbook of Model Rocketry" by G Harry Stine. He can read all about the principals of design and stability.

Look at the Apogeerockets.com web site. Tim has a news letter that is pretty informative. You can also download a demo copy of Rocksim, which will let you model/design rockets and tell whether they are stable. Apogee also has Model Rocket Design and Construction book that has some good information.

https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/
Has plans for some of the older rockets that you can bash together.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/tips_library.shtml
For tips.

And there is so much more if you search the web for model rockets. By joining NAR you will get Sport Rocketry magazine which has some basic information.

I think I found this stuff on an Estest site.

Good luck. The people that read these groups are really helpful so go ahead and ask any questions. The answers may just be a link to go and read a bunch more stuff.

Probably a good way to start, besides the points mentioned above (all good ideas) would be to take a couple basic kits (Alpha, Big Bertha, etc) and kit-bash them -- that is, use the basic parts to design a different-looking rocket.

"The Handbook of Model Rocketry" is, simply put, the bible of model rocketry. It's also written in a pretty fun and entertaining way, so both you and your son can read it and learn a lot pretty quickly. You can skim the chapters and learn most of the basic principles very easily.

Quickly enough you will understand how a rocket must be designed to be stable -- the center of gravity must be ahead of the center of pressure, like an arrow with feathers at the tail. That's probably the simplest basic concept anyone has to grasp to design and build rockets.

RockSim is a good tool but maybe a bit complicated for a kid just starting out in rocketry. But once he has a grasp on the basic ideas, it can be a big help.

Originally posted by Pippen
he gathers up materials from around the house (TP and paper towel tubes, cups, tape, etc.) and putters a bit and then starts asking questions about how to make it fly.
Don't discount the value of rolling your own tubes! You'll learn a lot about strength, ridigity,
materials and the use of glue. Check out the multitude of paper rockets that are available.

NAR has a 'Paper Tiger' plan made from notebook paper on their site. FlisKits has
a few free downloads, as do several other vendors on TRF.

Good luck!

When I read the title of this thread I thought Pippen had lost her mind! I was expecting to see a model built out of children!!!

"Stand straight Timmy or you will not make a good fin!":D

Originally posted by rokitflite
When I read the title of this thread I thought Pippen had lost her mind! I was expecting to see a model built out of children!!!

"Stand straight Timmy or you will not make a good fin!":D

LOL, I admit there have been some desperate moments but I haven't thought to resort to such drastic measures. :)

Thanks for all of the ideas, everyone--I appreciate the help.

maybe someone's already mentioned this site and I overlooked it but check out
JimZ's technical library

The Centuri Model Rocket Designers Manual and the Estes Model Rocketry Manual are great pubs to get started scratchbuilding with.

I can't say enough positive comments about the paper rocket free plans that are available.

Simple, easy and affordable.

Pre-decorated or blank ones to let the artist out in everyone.

Here's a link to the FlisKits free stuff:
https://fliskits.com/products/free_stuff.htm

Also Apogee offers a CD-book that details with all the proper building techniques for building a rocket. A very good visual instructional tool. Maybe a little too rigid and formatted for the true free spirit but loaded with lots of good stuff. My kids, ages 11 and 13 found it good, and todays kids certainly take well to computer-based education.

... Bill

Here is one more, a NASA website that is specifically targeted at beginning rocketeers:
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/bgmr.html

You can also get a lot of off-the-shelf kits that are a great source of materials for trying new rocket designs. When HobLob runs its half-price sale (and they are due for another in the next few weeks) you can grab stuff like an Estes Big Bertha, or Stormcaster, or Screamin Mimi, or a Quest Big Betty, or . . . you get the idea.
Don't forget to check for a Michael's 40-percent-off coupon in the Sunday newspaper, many of those stores carry rocket kits too.

Back