Level 1 - PML Io

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a PML Io that I'm planning on using for my Level 1 cert.

What are the experiences of others on this BB wrt the Io and "H" motors?

I have the 38mm kit, have a 29mm motor mount adapter.

The motor mount is in, the fins are on and I'm working on the internal epoxy fillets (2 of the fin-to-body tube ID are completed, I have to finish up the fins-to-motor tube next).

Right off the bat, I'm thinking about using rail buttons instead of the brass launch lugs, and using a smaller chute (like 26 inches).

Thoughts?

Thanks for any input.

I would go with an H165-M for your cert flight. I would also suggest maybe using a bit bigger rocket for your cert flight like a PML Phobos or Explorer. The Io will go about 3000 feet on an H128, H165, and H238. Which is a bit high for a cert flight. A PML Phobos will go about 2000 feet on an H128, H165, or an H238. A PML Explorer will go also go about 2000 on an H128, H165, or an H238. Which is a about as high as you want to go on your L1 cert flight. But if you want to keep your L1 cert flight even lower go with a LOC IV and put it up on an H128-S and it will only go about 1200 feet.

I agree with Aaron. The Io is a great rocket but a bit small for a cert flight. My Level 1 was with a PML Explorer using a H128. It went perfectly...probably a little lower than 2000. It was easily visible throughout the flight and recovery even with my lousy eyes.

The Io will certainly work, but be sure you have a large recovery area not to mention good spotters :)

Also, be careful with using rail buttons with the Io if you intend to use the piston. Most likely the rail button screw will extend into the airframe far enough to compromise proper piston operation. If you like rails better than rods I suggest you either
1) use conformational rail guides and the piston
or 2) use standard rail buttons and not use the piston (this is the way I
configured my Explorer and never had a problem with deployment).

Originally posted by dosco
Right off the bat, I'm thinking about using rail buttons instead of the brass launch lugs, and using a smaller chute (like 26 inches).

Thoughts?

Thanks for any input.
Definitely keep the chute size. PML rockets/chutes tend to come down on the faster end of the spectrum. It is not a problem since they are rock solid if built correctly, but coming down much faster might be risky. I also echo the other comments about using a larger rocket and definitely go with the conformal lugs if you want to make it able to use a rail system. Or you could use both rail lugs and the stock brass lugs to give the rocket a wider variety of things to be launched from.
Reed

I agree with Aaron and Mark, but if you already have the Io, then go for it. I don't really see a problem, as long as you have an open place to recover. At the field I launch at (1 mile by 3/4 mile), there have been plenty of rockets that break 3000' and make it back in the feild (like a Horizon on a J-350...). However, that being said, there are also a few make it out of the field. Just make sure you have big place to recover and you should be fine. Where do you launch and how big is your field? Good luck!

Originally posted by rocketkyle
I agree with Aaron and Mark, but if you already have the Io, then go for it.

Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to do. I had a bit of a mental crisis last night, worrying about all of it, but I figure I'll give it a shot.

What I'm more worried about is having another rocket for "H" power available on the day I get my Level 1. :D

I don't really see a problem, as long as you have an open place to recover.

Where do you launch and how big is your field? Good luck!

I'm a member of the Maryland-Delaware Rocketry Association. The next launch (where I plan to try for Level 1) is the Central Sod Farm. It's quite large, but the problem is there are a few treelines within the boundaries of the field that are quite rocket-hungry.

OTOH, I watched a fellow club member launch his Io on a G180...he had no problems recovering it in the field. Then again it went to a substantially lower altitude than if it had an "H".....then again if there is no wind on launch day, it shouldn't be a problem.....

We'll see.

Don't worry about it. 3000' isn't that hard to track. I did my Level 1 cert with a Cirrus on an H123. Hit 4800' feet pretty fast but I got my cert.

I added a 10" Payload section with canard fins to my wifes IO so that I can fly it on small H motors, It has been flown on the H238 and the G75 with decent recovery success, I do have a 24" chute on it and it comes down fine though a little fast with the payload section on. I would say it went to about 2500' or so and given the KS wind it came back fairly close. I would say use the IO, it will fly great, and its great on the F52's and F40's also. Good Luck on your Cert flight.

Originally posted by robfire820
I added a 10" Payload section with canard fins to my wifes IO so that I can fly it on small H motors

Actually, the thought crossed my mind to add a forward section - that way I could incorporate dual-deployment and the added mass would bring the bird a little lower wrt max altitude.

Originally posted by ragid
Don't worry about it. 3000' isn't that hard to track. I did my Level 1 cert with a Cirrus on an H123. Hit 4800' feet pretty fast but I got my cert.

Thats crazy! But you got your cert. The Phobos is a great kit to cert L1 with because its cheap you can get for like 50 dollars from Common Wealth and its tall 57 inches tall and 2.1 inches in diameter. It can be flow on an F40-4(which I don't suggest any one try) all the way up to a J570( if completely glassed).

Here is a picture of my Phobos going up on an F40-4 for its first flight.

Back