Models of Models,Dioramas & demo Props

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A post in another thread reminded me of something that might spark some interest?
How many other folks out here build models and/or Dioramas of a given model or model rocket range layout, Demo presentation Props like large cutaway motors, and such?

As an example the next two pic pages are two 3/8" =1'-0" scale models of two different range set ups. The first layout intended for a small group sport and/or demonstration launch, while the second for a large regional competition or major launch event.
These two were built at different times, my son helped with the first, The second by myself before CAPCON-1 as part of a launch range equipment convention class.
Anyone else waste good model building time on such?

John,

I've been doing diaramas for years, though never thought to apply it to model rocketry. I first got *that* idea when I saw your dioramas last year at a launch.

What I have done are dioramas with plastic display models and of buildings or build sites in preparation for drumming up support for some warrant article going before the town (new school, athletic field, additions, etc)

Lots of fun!

When I did the High School addition diorama I was shocked at how many people recognized the Superintendant's car being towed by the wrecker as the police write him a ticket... LOL

Jim:
do you have any photos? I'd love to see the school additon one.

You must be talking about the Der Red Max Diorama's Astronboy and I did for last years Naram. He did a stock size DRM and I did a pair of micros where the Diorams are the actual launchers. Pic below. They are one aspect. any others?

The jpegs are FAR to small to see the details. How about scanning one of them in larger format?

I keep expecting to see Davey Hansen and Goliath wandering through those little sets . . .

Originally posted by Stefan_Jones
The jpegs are FAR to small to see the details. How about scanning one of them in larger format?

I keep expecting to see Davey Hansen and Goliath wandering through those little sets . . .

Sorry! I forget sometimes the size restriction make it hard to see little stuff:D

Heres a series of pic of the small Rack system then the satellite system.

rack system layout-a-sm_375 scale fullview_04-17-82.jpg

Hmm.. I never thought of this.

1) I may do one of these for my local NAR chapter's booth at the Air Show next year (I have to add a rocket that will launch right from the diorama... maybe 1/24 scale?)

2) I MUST add a rocket range to the train layout!! (O gauge)

Where do you get your 1/32 figues? BTW: some old slot car figures have been re-released by Monogram and should work, esp the spectators set.

Phred

Back