Naram 47

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teflonrocketry1

Reaction score
Wondering where jflis, Sandman, CTulanko and Teflonrocketry1 are? We are all at NARAM having a great time!!! The weather has been hot and sunny and kind of windy more than 10mph at times.

Jim Flis launched the Dudley Do-Right twice. What a sight; the first flight was great, the parachute deployed slightly after apogee. The second flight almost hit Mark Bundick on the head on the way down!

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Teflon and I where camped next to each other all day Sunday...Good times!

Man it was HOT!!!!

All my rockets have sweaty fingerprints!:(

It was...still is fun, as long as you have lots and lots of water!

I was there with our 7-year-old for sport weekend. We've never been to a national launch before and this was a real treat. Only disappointment was the wind - it was blowing from the NE which put everything into tall weeds, trees, or pavement. I ended up not flying anything bigger than a G just to make sure they didn't get lost.

But that didn't stop my LOC Weasel from getting lost in the woods! Put it up on a G35 to about 2900', and it came down on a streamer somewhere back in those woods. So if anyone sees a red Weasel with silver mylar on the aft end, IT'S MINE!

Also flew my heavily modified Estes Saturn V, also on a G35. Unfortunately it ejected the motor at apogee. Drag separation saved the nose section, but the booster got crunched. It actually wasn't that bad, just the forward 5" which won't be hard to replace. No major detail pieces got trashed.

Got to meet a lot of TRFers which was great. Met Sandman, NarPrez, JStarStar, RocketAl, Dr.Zooch, and others whom I can't remember (sorry!).

I think the Red Weasel was found and returned to the NARAM Registration tent. If you are not around, email one of the NARAM officers - email addresses are on the www.naram.org website. They would be glad to hold it for you until you can retrieve it.

Paul

Also was there for the weekend. Bob Kaplow reminded me that it was the first NARAM for me in (shudder!) 28 years. Saw many faces that I hadn't seen since that last one, such as Bob, George Gassaway, Ric Gaff, Matt Steele, etc. And finally got to put faces to the names on the forum, like Chilly (my daughter absolutely loved getting to meet your 7 year old, Chilly!) Sandman, Teflonrocketry, Justin, Adam Selene, ShockieB, Dr Zooch, ArtU, JStarStar, CTimm.... pretty much everybody you met had a TRF handle. And, by gum, gentleman all. You couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of people to spend the weekend with.

Of course, as with any event like this, you can't carry too much money, 'cause you'd spend every last penny of it. Did leave mney with Dr Zooch, Semroc, Fliskits, Micro Classics, Balsa Machining. I think there were a few more that I had to resist, like Performance Hobbies (the stuff was too big to fit in the car...) Did I miss anybody?

Lots of great flights. Got to romp through the weeds, trying to avoid things with spiny stems. Enjoyed the Dudley Do Right (my wife particularly enjoyed that one. Thanks, Jim!) One really interesting thing is that I always wonder if the little woman truly enjoys coming to launches, or merely tolerates them. Well, on the way home, she mentioned that if she had her boss' phone number, she would have called to tell him she wanted a few more days off. Apparently, she made a few friends with some of the other rocket wives, and had a great time. The kids, with their new friends, were enjoying themselves equally. So all around, my entire fam had a great time with a great group of folks. So much fun was had that the better 3/4 asked about spending the entiire week next year, Hopefully, it'll be close enough to drive with the munchkins.

Thanks for the good time, guys.

Alan

I'm glad people are having a good time. I was unable to make it this weekend due to prior commitments, but am happy to hear that things are going well. By the way...pics???

Was so busy chasing boh kids and rockets that I got maybe three pictures. You can go to www.naramlive.com and get a day by day series of pictures and videos from the field. We originally planned on going for 4 days, but the wife changed jobs, and didn't want to push her luck with the new employer, hence the weekend visit only.

Alan

Originally posted by Loopy
I'm glad people are having a good time. I was unable to make it this weekend due to prior commitments, but am happy to hear that things are going well. By the way...pics???

Mine are over at YORF.

CHILLY!!!

What is the recovery fee??? Huh??? :D

Guess what was found yesterday, huh? I went out at 8am and walked the field for about 45 minutes and could not find your red rocket. Then, we attended the NAR Town Hall Meeting and right before hand, one of my fellow locals had the "Lost and Found" box out on the table in front of the meeting room and I saw this red nosecone sticking out. "Hmmmm..." I said. "...could it be???" While my time in the field revealed nothing, low and behold, a red rocket...with a red streamer, a strip of chrome on the bottom and a G motor installed.

It's at home here bro...let me know what you want to do with it....figured that would make your day!!! :)

Well, I have been busy working, as has Fishhead and many others...and having fun at doing just that. Sandman has been flying and having a ball!!! More to come...

Wish I could have made it - but the officials a the dairy where I work decided to permanently shut down our plant, and Saturday was our last production day. I've been spending this week so far helping to shut all the equipment down and close down my laboratory. Pity that they decided to kill it at the same time NARAM was going on, especially since I'm only about 3.5 hours away. I was really looking forward to meeting everybody from here as well. <sigh> Well, maybe some other time.

Greg

I'm having a wonderful time down here!

I have flown almost everything i brought...everything that's finished anyway.

After checking the "lost and found" box last night before the town hall meeting here at NARAM I got my Der Red Max V 4.0 back. I probably shouldn't have flown it on a D12-7...I can now say that I've recovered everything I flew...so far.

I had a few problems with some bad Estes igniters, I think I have a bad batch, but that's the only problem I've run into.

Retreaving rockets in the "brush" is no treat but not that bad. Most of it has been pretty much trampled down already.

Ignore all the blood running down my legs from all the scratches...I do. :rolleyes:

They looks worse than they feel...really!

I plan on flying my Soyuz and my Starship Nova tomorrow...I hope!:D

I am so glad to hear the Weasel was found!

This thing is apparently indestructible and un-loseable (if that's a word). Just about every time I've flown it, something's happened to make me think it's gone for good. If it's lost, it eventually gets found (if only some of my more expensive lost rockets had been like that). Twice it's separated from the chute at over 3000', both pieces fell over a half-mile with just some scratched paint.

Now it needs a good name, so I'm taking suggestions. Some ideas I've had:

The Thing That Wouldn't Die

The Unscrewable Pooch (if you've read The Right Stuff, you'll know...)

Red Herring

Originally posted by Chilly
I am so glad to hear the Weasel was found!

This thing is apparently indestructible and un-loseable (if that's a word). Just about every time I've flown it, something's happened to make me think it's gone for good. If it's lost, it eventually gets found (if only some of my more expensive lost rockets had been like that). Twice it's separated from the chute at over 3000', both pieces fell over a half-mile with just some scratched paint.

Now it needs a good name, so I'm taking suggestions. Some ideas I've had:

The Thing That Wouldn't Die

The Unscrewable Pooch (if you've read The Right Stuff, you'll know...)

Red Herring

Comeback Kit

I had a great time at NARAM-47. I couldn't stay for Friday but I did attend two other launches on the following Saturday with the MTMA and Sunday with the Tri City Sky Busters. I think I need to buy more motors.

Speaking of lost and found:

I lost the nosecone (and parachute) to my Estes SR-71 Blackbird at NARAM-47, does anyone know if one got turned into the lost and found box?

Originally posted by teflonrocketry1

Speaking of lost and found:

I lost the nosecone (and parachute) to my Estes SR-71 Blackbird at NARAM-47, does anyone know if one got turned into the lost and found box?

Don't know, but I'll check the next time I make it to a launch. I know it wasn't in the l & f box when we were cleaning up on Friday.

Originally posted by Chilly

Now it needs a good name, so I'm taking suggestions.

We had a dog named Happy Beagle that fit that description when I was a kid. :) She *loved* to run and would sneak out cracks in doors and go over a backyard fence she shouldn't have been able to jump. Once we were driving in an area of the mountains we'd not been before. It was several hours from home and she took off running during a stop and we never did find her. She turned up at home 4 days later, a little worse for the wear but still Happy.

I lost an 18/20 RMS case out there, i don't think it had my name on it. But if it shows up I'd sure like to know.

Chuck

Back