Bomarc Kit Prices

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bomarc is my favorite Scale subject. NCR's kit isn't very good Scale wise, but it's an OK looking model. It's about BT-80 in diameter. Can't tell you what the kit was worth, it was expensive to start, You'd be much better off to Scratch build one @ 13.25 scale with a BT-30 and PNC-80k nose cone. See below;)

Micro,
Do you have plans for that? Are the wings solid or frame & skin like R/C models? I love the Bomarc but can never find a decent kit available.

I don't really have a set of plans for the 1:13.25 Scale 3 D12 cluster..Well it's undergoing an insert change to make it 4 D12's.. Anyway I do have a one page plan that was used to do my 1:124.55 scale micro Scale that I can I believe post here. It has the same 3 view drawing used for all 4 or 5 of my different Bomarcs.
Funny you should mention RC. No the wings tail and stab all started life as 1/4" balsa sheet. Sanded and tapered, root to tip and front to back. The Wiring tunnel is a piece of balsa wing nosing that was hollowed out after sanding to the proper height.
I started but will likely never finish a 1:8.888 Scale BT-101 size what was going to be RC controlled. That one does have stick and rib construction with 1/64th 3 ply aircraft plywood covering with all working control surfaces. It's just to dang big for my townhouse:( Nor have I finished my 1: 26.415 Scale BT-60 gliding Bomarc. It's waiting for the spirit to move me:D
Anyway all have come from this same 3 view set of plans that I just up and down scale as needed.
If needed I also have ever photo the National Air and Space Library Archive has on the Bomarc as well as copies of every document Boeing, the universeisy of Michigan or most of the subs sent to the Archive.
I'd be glad to share any of the info I have. Lets see if I can upload this plan... Hope this helps:D

PS; if the quality isn't good enough from this condensed jpg a pdf is available in the files section of the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group. under Mccoy's micro Plans. in the Scale folder.

Originally posted by Micromeister
You'd be much better off to Scratch build one

I think you are right about this one...... The current price is over $94, plus $12 shipping..... I should be able to buy a lot of material with this amount of money...... :D

If needed I also have ever photo the National Air and Space Library Archive has on the Bomarc as well as copies of every document Boeing, the universeisy of Michigan or most of the subs sent to the Archive. I'd be glad to share any of the info I have.

Micro,

Are you attending NARAM?
If so, would you be willing to lug your Bomarc photos and files along?
I can bring my binder on the Bomarc, along with the cdrom with 80 or so hi-res 8x10 photo scans from the archives of the USAF Museum in Dayton.
I'll also have my laptop & slimline scanner.
My photocopier is nice but theres only so much room in the car!
Heres a pic of #9 launched without ramjets.

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
I was wondering if anyone had any info and what was a "normal" price for a NCR Bomarc Kit? I saw this kit listed on ebay..........

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5987756514&category=2567&rd=1

Also, does anyone have any specs for this kit? Diameter? Lenght? etc.

The 'highest' price I've ever seen for a NCR Bomarc on auction was $247!

As to the specifics of the NCR Bomarc kit:

Length: 53"

Diameter: 3.0"

Projected Weight: 32 oz.

Wingspan: 20"

(As listed in the NCR Bomarc kit instructions).

Originally posted by CTimm
Micro,

Are you attending NARAM?
If so, would you be willing to lug your Bomarc photos and files along?
I can bring my binder on the Bomarc, along with the cdrom with 80 or so hi-res 8x10 photo scans from the archives of the USAF Museum in Dayton.
I'll also have my laptop & slimline scanner.
My photocopier is nice but theres only so much room in the car!
Heres a pic of #9 launched without ramjets.

Nope! I've attended my last NARAM! Even if it's in my own back yard I'll likely not waste another day on them.
I was the equipment manager for 35 NOT A FUN year or week.
attended a couple earlier, Not much fun.
Attended Naram Last year, WE Won, it sucked.. NO more. from now on I vacation to have fun.. Not work me lit'l keester off.
Seriously, I've made the decision NOT to travel to fly rockets ever again. No more regionals, If we aren't flying from the home field or an outreach of some sort, I simply won't be there. In fact that Yardsale promised in my signature line is coming up REAL soon, I'll still be around but I've gotta make more room for Micro's so I'm gonna start eleminating all my LPR and LMR's, collector kits, unbuilt kits, PMC's models and a ton of (almost 40 years worth) of equipment and other Shed choking Rocket related stuff.

Nice shot of #9, I have shots from bomarc ex flights 1 thru 25. a ton from the exhibit at Right Patterson AFB, Canadian Greys, US greys. all kinds of Bomarc-a EX manufacturing pics, and tons of program doc. I'll hold on to the scale data 4 drawer file cab as Scale is still one of my favorite scratch building thingies they'll just be a lot smaller:D

Sorry maybe we'll find another opportunity to swap stuff;) A CD..Dang why didn't I think of that...Humm that's gonna take some scanning:D

Originally posted by stymye
I found a copy(don't remember where) for a jet-x model it appears to be close to scale, atleast some details can be used
it can be downloaded from my photo site

Great plans Stymye!!!! Now I just got to find a way to print that huge thing out!!!!!

Great plan if you aren't looking at SCALE. NO bomarc has had ramjets that look that elonggated, It's is a nice clean print, but It couldn't be used as scale data.
I only gave it a quick once over but the wing and stab cross sections are drawn with a model airplane airfoil, instead of what's on a full size. I didn't check the length but that may also be off. Easy way to check the full size vehicle main dia is 35 inches.

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
Oh fine, bust my bubble!!!! I'll just need to research some more.......

Sorry Randy guess it's that darn Scale puriest in me:(

Like Stymye mentioned it would make a great "standoff scale model:D With a little work I'm sure most of the "liberties" could be corrected. Better yet heres a little larger version of the 3 view plan that may help. Same one on the micro plan but full page;) I know its a bit cloudy but it was the best I could get out of the Archive labrary copier. use 35" diameter for the full size vehicle as your starting point you won't go wrong. Why not length? because the length Varies a little depending on which IM-99 series you modeling and manufacture date. Im-99a is a little shorter than IM-99b.
I'll add a 2 pic of #14 photos that should give you enough to build a really nice SCALE model:D If you want to do a Gery deployment colors version I'll add a grey color lift-off that very nice.
Hope this Helps.

Here's a top pic of #14 and a great bottom photo. Take special note of the "straight Pipe" Ramjets in these photos as compared to those on the #15 drawing. If your planning on entering this model in NAR competition stick with the photo documention and pointout the change in the drawing as a varient. There are a couple drawing that show the Straight Pipe early ramjets but they are worse than the 3 view attached above:D
Hope this helps and doesn't confuse the issue to much.

Just to show how this went over my 13.25 scale won 1place in 3 different regionals using a packet containing this info.

Sorry Randy guess it's that darn Scale puriest in me:(

I can't complain, my L3 rocket is the only real project I am working on right now. But I would love to build a Bomarc soon. Upscale it enough to fly on a "H" or "I" motor :D

Nope! I've attended my last NARAM! Even if it's in my own back yard I'll likely not waste another day on them.

That sentiment hits me as well every now and then.
One day I dive deeper into the hobby.
Next day I feel like getting out completely.
Scale data and photos keep me going.

If its within a days drive, I consider going.
I sport fly only. Keeps the fun-factor up.

I attended N43 on a spur of the moment thing.
Didn't know what to expect.
A lot of brief moments of rocket-nirvana and alot of long periods of boredom.
The huge field was a big bonus.
Meeting people was a bonus.
The host hotel sucked, I stayed down the street.
I even had dinner with a few NAR Board members.

N-44 wasn't attended.

N-45 (Evansville) was another spur of the moment trip.
Decent field for sport-flying.
I refer to it as TICKFEST-45.
Got to view a real-life *COPS* drama going on outside my motel window. Some local stole a car and holed up on the second floor.
I was on the first floor, just a room or two to the side. The felon tried to escape by throwing the chair through the window and jumping. All the while I'm using the window as a cutting mat for slicing a few fins out. Woohoo! Just one of many naram memories.

N-46 wasn't attended.

N-47 is scheduled to be attended.

I'll probably take the weekdays of the boring events and go to Dayton for the umpteenth time. Otherwise, I may just build stuff on the field to pass the time. Beats working.

Well I have to agree with that one! The WORST day flyin rockets is a thousand times better than working:D

I've haven't been happy with competition flying for a long time. Way back in the day;) it was sort of a challenge and sure I've gotten my share of winners but it's just to big a hassle! I'm gonna be very very selective on what I fly competiion wise in the future. Shot; I even tried limiting the hassle as part of a Team for awhile, you may remember the "Grunpy Old Men team" that was Paul Miller and I, my better 2/3rd Named us.. I guess she was right:D Even working with a team you kill yourself for the entire week, and are worn out by the time you'd like to fly some Fun stuff.
Since blowing out discs in my back almost 5 years ago now, I'm not nealy as mobile or light as I was. so tramping over hill and dale is no longer really an option. So I have to limit my thinking to the lower power class models, PMC, Scale and Cluster Altitude stuff. Now that we've got 1/8A power class I'm happy as a pig in slop at least for local events on that level:D

We're going to take a REAL vacation this year, I'm not even taking the usual mobile Micro Wonder Works shop this time, just some cloths. Looks like Bush Gardens and Williamsburg Va for us sometime in October:) Should be a great week, See my son married for the 3rd time that hit the pools, coasters and historic sights....maybe the VA science museum if I'm really suffering rocket withdrawal I'm told there is a Bomarc monuted on poles down there somewhere on one of the bases? :D
Ahhh the "Golden Years" what a crock!

Anyway back to the subject....Man we went out a bit, I'll start scanning the two thick file folders of Bomarc stuff I have and see if it'll fit on a CD, maybe we can exchange discs at some point. This Won't happen quickly...I know I have over a 1000 pages of project documents, vendor parts specs, skecches, drawing and a ton of hi res photos that are still very poor due to the awful quality of the originals. I'm afraid scanning some of them will be a waste of time. Culling some of the reports that really don't help with scale work might also be a way to limit the amount. but the test flight history is just fastenating to read.

We're going to take a REAL vacation this year, Looks like Bush Gardens and Williamsburg Va for us sometime in October:) ....maybe the VA science museum if I'm really suffering rocket withdrawal I'm told there is a Bomarc monuted on poles down there somewhere on one of the bases? :D

Theres an US Army Transportation Museum just north of Williamsburg. Its free and they have absolutely HUGE amphibious stuff you have to see to believe it would float!

Downtown Hampton has the Wallops Visitor/Science/Museum center. They've got a few nice rockets & planes inside. Most are tough to photograph given their locations and the abundance of windows. The Pershing-II is nice, but its vertical so measuring anything besides the bottom fins ain't gonna happen.
A couple of NASA sounding rockets, Orions I think (renamed Hawks) and a jet with some Sparrows underneath.

The long boring drive to the Wallops Island Visitor Center & Rocket Garden is a coin toss. They've got some nice indoor displays of the test rockets hanging from the ceiling, and even with a wide-angle lens its tough to fit it in the frame. Outside they have a few rockets in various incorrect paint, but rockets are rockets. An Astrobee-F out back comes to mind. Not much to look at when its all white, but it can be measured if the RotW supplement isn't enough detail.

I'd go again if I knew they had an archive there that I could spend days in with the laptop & scanner.
They were just closing and it was raining when I finally got there on my way to Savannah. A really nice WW2 USAF museum in Savannah too!

Apparantly theres a few naval missiles displayed at Norfolk, but I never found out where to see them.

Theres a place called Air Power Park around there too, and has a slew of stuff outside (some are rocket skeletons) and some stuff inside. The recently repainted LJ-1 looked nice. Theres even a pump-house dressed up as a rocket that could be argued as substantiation for the SPEV.

Swing west to Warner-Robbins. Ga for another nice USAF museum. They have some nice newer sidewinders, sparrows, a genie or two, the Mace,Matador duo.

Can you tell how I plan MY vacations????????

I'll start scanning the two thick file folders of Bomarc stuff I have and see if it'll fit on a CD, maybe we can exchange discs at some point.

The few dimensioned drawings I have have inconsistencies galore. Thats why I try and measure the things firsthand from the various displays, and then coordinate them with photos.
One glaring problem is the cone/airframe/conduit joint.
Some drawings show the conduit running right up into the cone curve, some show a small section of curved airframe between the conduit tip and copper-cone section.
One drawing is the "modelers" drawing of a a YIM-99A with squished tubed ramjets.
Another is a nicely redrawn Canada version CIM-99 with straight tubed ramjets.
Then theres the MODEL ROCKETRY magazine data.
And the ballon-framed, sticks and tissue plans.
Not really a complete set of trustable information by any stretch.
But its whats in file so far.
This would be why we haven't seen a "USAF MISSILES" booklet yet. Have to nail down stuff for each version.
That would be a starting point for scanning.
Dimensioned drawings and version differences.
Then go to paint/markings schemes.
Then find the perfect overall-view photos of the different versions.
Finally, do a readers digest condensing of the colorful history, throw in a memorable dates, and a specs table.

Scanning is tedious for most people, which is why I gleefully volunteer to do it if they bring it to a naram. But in this case, I'd have to camp out at your place for weeks given the amount in your files. Is there a beach nearby?

I can tell you from all the info I have and a little common manufacturing sense, Wiring tunnels DO NOT extend onto the radomes of IM-99a or 99B in any photo of an actual vehicle in my archive. I've seen the same drawings you refer to showing the extension. It simply makes NO sense from a manufacturing standpoint that those phenolic/fibreglass radomes would be manufactured with that kind of match-up requirement.. remember these things were intended to be flown once and BOOM! Good fit up yes, but critical match-up.??? maybe in the designers head;)
The nose is really not copper colored at all, we paint em that was cuase its a prettier color than the mottled phenolic yuck Brown:D
After talking with one of the OLD project engineers form Boeing, and spending some time searching their archives for drawings... I can pretty much report if the any old bluelines still exist they are in the hands of someone other then Boeing. The National Archive holds several differnt "sketch" 3 view concept drawing but Nothing that even resembles a finished drafted set of plans. I beleive I have a A4 size plan that was used in the very beginning of the program IM-99a. If you read thru the tons of paper on the project you see that once the airforce really got involved the plans trail abruptly stops. It was my hope that the National A&S Archive would hold such a complete set of plans.. shoot they have the original plans for just about every aircraft ever built. but the search came up blank. Best we have are a couple quick 3 view airforce marking plans like those I printed with my Micro Bomarc. If nothing else they are at least to scale.

I can tell you from all all the info I have and a little common manufacturing sense, Wiring tunnels DO NOT extend onto the radomes of IM-99a or 99B in any photo of an actual vehicle I have. I've seen the same drawings you refer to showing the extension.

I trust photo evidence over artists' misconception drawings.
I've got some line drawings of the Skybolt that look nothing like it---and they were in the USAF characteristics book which was top secret at the time!

Also have a slew of Falcon line drawings showing the airframe and fin design changes over the years. Many of them were simply the experimental versions. I'm having a fun time sorting all of them out. Just when you think you've got them all, a strange "training" missile comes along.

See attached photo.

Off to bed now. NARAM by 5pm.

Originally posted by Initiator001
The 'highest' price I've ever seen for a NCR Bomarc on auction was $247!

Reviving this today---I scored an NCR Bomarc on ebay for $60 plus $10 S&H. I was pretty sure it was a great deal. Anyone know what these are going for lately?

MetMan

hey guys,
BOMARC is awesome. i got some great stuff from micro and plans from JImZ to produce my first clone :) I may upscale it someday but right now it works great :)
Cheers
fred

BOb Cox also has a wicked BOMARC if i remember correctly and Excelsior makes wicked Canadian BOMARC decals :)
Cheers
fred

Back