London attacks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevem

Reaction score
I know we have some British brothers who post here and with what has happened in London today I wanted to offer my condolences to our Brit friends and hope and pray none of them suffered any losses.
The barbarians who brought this mayhem on London are the very definition of evil.
It is so hard to imagine how a human being can be so cold and depraved that they actually beleive the taking of innocent lives will further thier cause.
Our hearts and prayers go out to the good people of Great Britain.

Originally posted by stevem
I know we have some British brothers who post here and with what has happened in London today I wanted to offer my condolences to our Brit friends and hope and pray none of them suffered any losses.
The barbarians who brought this mayhem on London are the very definition of evil.
It is so hard to imagine how a human being can be so cold and depraved that they actually beleive the taking of innocent lives will further thier cause.
Our hearts and prayers go out to the good people of Great Britain.

Well worded Steve. I hope all the British TRFs check in here to let us know how they are. Prayers are headed your way!!!!

Having just spent a month in London myself it was a bit upsetting to see "familiar" places marked as being "hit" on the TV maps.

I realize that most of the UK members live in rural areas and were not "directly" affected but let's hope non were "indirectly" involved.

Hoping for the best in these bad times.

So far, theres been no word of any of the Brit Rocketry Fraternity getting hurt. Apparently one member of the MARS group *just* missed the action tho.

This sort of thing was going to happen, sooner or later, it just leaves you a little 'shellshocked' when it does happen.

Originally posted by sandman
Having just spent a month in London myself it was a bit upsetting to see "familiar" places marked as being "hit" on the TV maps.

I realize that most of the UK members live in rural areas and were not "directly" affected but let's hope non were "indirectly" involved.

Hoping for the best in these bad times.

Where I live is hardly rural, but it is well away from London. There are certainly some TRF members that do live in London though.

A colleague was travelling to London for a meeting today, but his train, didn't further than Stevenage.

Thankyou for the kind words stevem.All our thoughts are with the bereaved and injured but tomorrow it will be business as usual.Like New York,it takes more than bombs and terrorists to stop the people of great citys.

My thoughts and prayers to out to the victims, their families, and their friends. I hope all TRFers are safe.

Thanks for the thoughts, Colonial Cousins.

These acts were expected but we always hoped they would never happen. We had several years of terrorism by the IRA and I suppose as a nation we are more used to attacks on our country than you in the US (Zeppelins bombed our local seaside resort in WW1 ) . My late Mum was a nurse in London during the V weapon attacks and most of my parents generation lived through WW2 with the constant threat of German air raids. This has bred in us a certain stoicism and the ability to get on with life during times of trouble.

We'll be OK - Thanks ;)

A memorable day, for all the wrong reasons.

I too was appalled this morning when my Wife awoke me with the words: "London has been bombed".

I have family just north of London, and have visited this great city a number of times. As Sandman stated earlier, it was heartbreaking to have images appear in my mind as each attack site was announced. My Wife and I walked through Russell Square in only 4 months ago. The tube is very familiar to us and we changed trains at Kings Cross on our last trip. While there in late March, our train on the Piccadilly Underground Line was stopped for nealy 1/2 hour as a suspect package was inspected by the bomb squad on the platform of the next station..... My recent memories made it far too easy for me to imagine the chaos and horror in the tunnels.

As not only an American, but a New Yorker, I want to express not only my condolences, and prayers, but also my support and solidarity for and with our fellow rocketeers in the UK, as well as the general population of greater London.

Phred

I'm sooooooooooooo out of touch.........

I almost *never* watch the news. Don't listen to it on the radio, either.

I don't even know what Y'all are talking about.

Originally posted by cydermaster
So far, theres been no word of any of the Brit Rocketry Fraternity getting hurt. Apparently one member of the MARS group *just* missed the action tho.

Several members of MARS "just" missed the action so to speak. MARS started off as a London based group, and has retained a large proportion of its members from the London catchment area. Luckily, all of us who live and work in London were on the right side of "just missed", but I know a few of the others had a very long journey home this evening, but at least they're OK.

All the best,

Richard

My condolences as well. Hope the casualties do not escalate.

This has bred in us ... the ability to get on with life during times of trouble.

Not if the media has some say! The media can sure make a "mountain out of a mole hill"!

My thoughts are with you all. I have some friends on a different board from England. Thankfully no one from here or there was hurt. It's still a sad day.

People wonder why we fight the war that we are in. Today is the perfect example of why: if we don't defend what we believe in (freedom), those who don't believe in it will take it away. They feel that we cannot have what they cannot have (or choose not to have).

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims, their families, and their friends

An odd story out of London on the news tonight...Talk about (bad)luck.

Former New York Mayor Rudy Juliani was just outside one of the subway stations in London as it was hit!

This post is going to take a little different angle from the rest.

First, to anyone that may have had someone they know killed or injured, my condolences.

Second, to our UK members in general, I am thinking of you.

Third, thank you to all citizens of the UK that have stood and fought by us for the last four years. It is my hope that these events will serve to remind those, both in the US and the UK, whose support has waned, that there are, unfortunately, many people in this world that quite simply are of such danger to the rest that they need to be hunted down and killed where they are found as if they were rabid animals. And I mean this in no uncertain terms; they do not deserve to be treated as humans, they do not deserve the courtesies afforded to criminals. And this is by their choice. For they have chosen not to be criminals, but to be terrorists. Criminals represent a nuisance to society; terrorists represent a threat to society. They will not negotiate. They will not capitulate. They will promise peace with a smile and cut your throat when you turn your back.

I am happy to know that so far there are no known injuries to the members of our rocketry community and hope that that continues. You guys seem to be good people here, even if your typing/writing has a weird accent. :p

Greg R Burnett

my gaming buddies who live on the other side of the lake were talking to me. cell phones and radios went down, police everywhere, it sounded like 9/11 all over again

hope that noone here was affected, and my prayers go out to those who were

Originally posted by North Star
This has bred in us a certain stoicism and the ability to get on with life during times of trouble.
/me sings: "Who do you think you are kidding Al-Qaeda, if you think old England's done!"

We won't let something like this get us down, if it did the enemy has won!

It takes alot to break our stiff-upper-lip in times of adversity.

I was in BT Tower yesterday - I arrived at 8:55 via the Circle line tube from Paddington Station by way of Edgeware Road.
The Tower is close to Russell Square where the bus was hit.

I was having a meeting in one to the large rooms overlooking the Broadcast control room which handles most of the satellite feeds into and out of the UK when the first (raw) images started coming in. Then BT Tower went into "lockdown" and the security doors were lowered. No one allowed in or out for hours.

We couldn't get any mobile messages in or out due to a large percentage of the mobile network being transferred for emergency service use. Not being able to let people get hold of you to check you were OK was the worst...

Walking back to Paddington that night to get the train home, seeing everyone determined and helping each other really showed the resilience of the Brits - ie they WILL NOT beat us.

Can't put into words what it felt like to get home again and hug my wife and baby son - and feel for those people who's loved ones will never be able to do that again.

One of my colleagues had a thought that I'd like to share with you -

During the Blitz, our Queen Mum (God rest her) was commenting on the first time bombs fell on Buckingham Palace, after the massive attacks on the docks and east end of London. She said "At least I feel I can look the East End in the face again"
... my mate felt exactly the same about 911 and our attacks - if anything, this will bring us and the States closer together.

Just the thing those ba****ds didn't want!

Damage...

as I read this post a couple things come to mind.

first, the British folks are an inspiration for us here in the States and this event should remind everyone of what the stakes are in the war on terror. Too many in this country have become complacent, 9/11 has become a distant memory. If nothing else positive comes from the attacks in London, perhaps it will serve as a wake-up call, reminder, whatever you want to call it, to the people of the USA. And let none of us forget what is at stake.

second, I don't know what any of you think of Tony Blair but never have I heard a more poignent, to the point, and heartfelt speech than the one I saw him give yesterday after the attacks.
He is a good man and great leader no matter what you think of his politics.

Glad to hear none of our TRFers were involved. Our thought and prayers continue for the unfortunate souls who were in the right place at the wrong time and their families.

Originally posted by 11Bravo
This post is going to take a little different angle from the rest.

First, to anyone that may have had someone they know killed or injured, my condolences.

Second, to our UK members in general, I am thinking of you.

Third, thank you to all citizens of the UK that have stood and fought by us for the last four years. It is my hope that these events will serve to remind those, both in the US and the UK, whose support has waned, that there are, unfortunately, many people in this world that quite simply are of such danger to the rest that they need to be hunted down and killed where they are found as if they were rabid animals. And I mean this in no uncertain terms; they do not deserve to be treated as humans, they do not deserve the courtesies afforded to criminals. And this is by their choice. For they have chosen not to be criminals, but to be terrorists. Criminals represent a nuisance to society; terrorists represent a threat to society. They will not negotiate. They will not capitulate. They will promise peace with a smile and cut your throat when you turn your back.

I am happy to know that so far there are no known injuries to the members of our rocketry community and hope that that continues. You guys seem to be good people here, even if your typing/writing has a weird accent. :p

Greg R Burnett

Well said!-I agree 100%

It is terrible what happenned in London. our PM summed it up for us when he expressed his condolences and unquailfied support in this fight. I have every confidence that those responsible will be found and i hope they send the SAS to collect them in a fashion they are justifiably famous for.
Cheers
fred

This web site of comment sums up the typical reaction of Brits for me:

https://www.livejournal.com/users/tyrell/154027.html#cutid1

I particularly like these two:

"It's hard to panic the British. They've dealt with the Blitz, the IRA, the Silurians, the Zarbi, the Daleks, the Cybermen..."

When the news reporter said "Shopkeepers are opening their doors bringing out blankets and cups of tea" I just smiled. It's like yes. That's Britain for you. Tea solves everything.
You're a bit cold?
Tea.
Your boyfriend has just left you?
Tea.
You've just been told you've got cancer?
Tea.
Coordinated terrorist attack on the transport network bringing the city to a grinding halt?
TEA DAMMIT!

Back