Giant Leap Vertical Assault Review

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil125

Reaction score
I reviewed the Vertical Assault for EMRR, but i didn't have the videos done. Thought i'd post the video's here. So ppl can see them and link the review. Its a sweet rocket that really moves.

Review Links:
Vertical Assault review

Video Links:

Vertical Assault on an I285-M

Vertical Assault on a Loki J528

Not sure what to put it up on next. I have a K555 Skidmark but I think that might be too much motor. Hmm wonder if i can get a J1001 from LOKI for our next EX launch.

GLVerticalAssualt001.jpg

If you like a skidmark, try the recently certified AMW J230

I thought about that but i don't have the hardware for it

I just have the 54-1750 AMW for J's i only have the LOKI and Aerotech hardware

Originally posted by flyr98
That has a fin can, why not try a K?

Oh that is definately planned when the conidtions are right clear sky/winds. It will be getting a K670GG or a K650RR.

On those engines it will hit over 800 MPH and close to 10000 feet.

I'm just gonna have to have it on hand and when things look good at a METRA launch. Put it up :D and pray it comes back.

I am thinking about getting the glassed version for my level 2 this year. Thanks for the review.

I have the DD glass version Vertical Assualt, mine is primed and will be painted tomorrow (along with a glass DD Firestorm 54, replacement for the one I lost at this years TLV Turkey Shoot). These are great kits, very complete and a quick build.

If there's any interest, I'll post pics of my E-bay mods (mine is removeable, I don't like the way that Giant Leap has them set up stock). I extended my motor mount tube to accept the 54mm CTI L730...my new favorite L2 motor. Over 15K altitude, can't remember the velocity.

Barry

I have been thinking about the DD glass Vertical Assualt for a level 2 rocket and would very interested in seeing any photos.

Thanks

Thanks for the photos. I have never setup an E-bay by screwing it to the body tubes (and the permanent mount is not a way I want to go) and was wondering how folks set that method up? I have only used this method:
https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23091 ).

Hows the nosecone Barry? I believe the tubes are compatible with Hawk Mtn and they have fiberglass NC's. Just trying to think ahead :D

Mike

The method you posted requires a fair amount of vertical space to incorporate. What I did was to cut another 1/4" thick ply bulkhead (more like a ring, actually) and epoxied that to the existing upper bulkhead. The modified upper bulkhead is then used as usual, except instead of gluing the bulkhead and coupler into the upper body tube, I taped the entire Ebay in place and drilled through the BT into the center of the thick bulkhead in 5 places and tapped for 6-32x1/2" stainless button head bolts. This allows the entire Ebay to be quickly removed for servicing.

The shock load path of the recovery system is still carried as normal, through the 1/4" allthread. The bolts just need to make sure the upper BT and coupler are tight and to prevent any wobble or free play (a bad thing at max Q).

The nose cone is blow-molded plastic, fits loosely in the G10 tubing, it does need a few wraps of tape for a snug fit. I've seen this with both of my 54mm Firestorms as well as the Vertical Assault. Other than that they are fine. I suspect the FG nosecones would be a bit tighter fit, but as I am pretty sure the tubing comes from Hawk Mountain, you'll be fine.

I drill through the airframe into the tube of the ebay. I then mount 6-32 T-nuts on the inside of the ebay and use 6-32 truss head screws to secure to the body tube. The truss heads have a broader head so have more contact with the outside body tube. I use three or four screws depending on diameter. For 3" and 4" airframes I use 3 screws.

Yea, it takes about 4" on each side of the bay, but it's nice to screw it in tight, no wobble. Maybe this rocket will be the one I try something different on.

Thanks again.

Well, finally broke down and ordered the glass version kit. Will probably order the FG NC from Hawk later on.

Come on UPS!!!!

Back