New design - Shrox inspired

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoVictor

Reaction score
All,

after seeing all of the cool designs in the "I Miss the Deep Space Fantasy models" thread, it got my mind churning.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13966

There, I saw some of the really cool designs from Shrox (Sarah Connor, Icarus, Solarkron). I became impatient, so I went and built the Icarus as best I could from the picture.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18014&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

After building and discovering how relatively easy the "ping-pong ball" trick is, I decided to start playing with the theme.

So here you have it, my first scratchbuilt model in almost 20 years. However, I'm still trying to decide on the nose cone...

Later,
EV

Nose Cone Option 1 - Short Ogive

Nose Cone Option 3 - PNC-50CA from the Alien Invader (available at Moldin' Oldies).

I like this one the best, but I've got that cone reserved for my Alien Invader clone.

As you can see, there's a little bit of Alien Invader in there, as well as the canard design and ping-pong ball being straight from Shrox's Alien8. The wing shape was insipred by the design of the Centauri ships in Babylon5. I'm also trying to come up with a name. Here are some of my ideas....

Centauri
Chiron (the centaur that taught Hercules)
Annihil8
Obliter8

Any suggestions?

Later,
EV

I agree with Forecheck, the long ogive cone. That is a really neat design. I had a thought though, with the top rear fin being so much smaller than the others, will it be stable?

very cool design. Yep, you can see Shrox in that one :)

I like the long ogive (#2) the best. Also, I would be a bit concerned about those forward fins being a bit large.

If you are interested in suggestions, here's an idea that I've been meaning to try...

See the shape of those forward fins with the interior half moon cutouts?

move the pingpong ball about 1" forward. Remove the forward fins then redesign them such that the interior curve matches the outline of the pingpong ball and mount the fins right *over* the ball.

Think it would look *way* kewl :)

just a thought.

looking great though!

Well, I just came inside from my first swing test in 20 years!

Success!!! (with no modifications:D)

I'm starting off with the short ogive for now, as the long ogive is for my Shrox Icarus, and the PNC-50CA is marked for my AI clone. That doesn't mean I can't change it later....

I'm quite thrilled that she flies nice 'n' straight. The short ogive from my parts bin already had a bit of clay inside, so I just ran with it. The multiple tubes make an interesting whistling noise as she circled around my head. Cool!

FYI, the rear fin is the exact same piece as the outer wing fins.

For those interested, I'm going to stop at the WOOSH sport launch tomorrow (https://www.wooshrocketry.org/) and send her up on her maiden flight, probably on a B6-4 due to her mass.

Flight report and photos to follow...

Later,
EV

I also liked the short NC best. but the Alien Invader cone is very cool too.

My ONLY problem with the Alien Invader cone is that that is ALWAYS what it is refered to as. EV has this cool custom design that he did a great job on but with the AI cone on it thats what everybody will think of! I LOVED the Alien Invader, but I think that is now the only kit I like that cone on!:D

the Torellian Invader, which used that cone, is cool, too. I just finished a clone of it. Didn't come out too bad. I had to print my own decals and they didn't come out as nice as would've liked. Have yet to fly it..later this month

Originally posted by MarkM
the Torellian Invader, which used that cone, is cool, too. I just finished a clone of it. Didn't come out too bad. I had to print my own decals and they didn't come out as nice as would've liked. Have yet to fly it..later this month

And the pictures are........?;)

Well,

back from the range, and we have a winner!

First flight on B6-4 was absolutely beautiful! Straight flight, perfect 'chute deploy, and I even had my first mid-air catch in over 17 years.

Unfortunately, I got a little cocky and had to tempt fate. I stuffed her with a C6-3 and went back to the pad. This time, the results weren't so nice. I think the "C" had a little too much punch, and she corkscrewed all the way up.

As the gyrations threw off the aim, she wound up drifting way off of the range into a very thick clump of trees. After a bit of searching and wading through face high reeds, I found her intact inside a grove. There must have been maybe a 5' diameter hole through the tree branches, and she dropped right through it. Thank you, Lord!

Upon further inspection, I think I understand why she went nuts under higher power. If you look at the overhead view, the wing tubes aren't perfectly parallel to the main body tube. This may have set her spinning.

Below are a few photos with my camera. Some other guys at the event caught her off the pad, so I'll post those as soon as they send 'em.

Later,
EV

All,

here's a rough first shot at the direction I'm headed with the paint scheme. Cockpit, alpha-numeric markings (maybe some "alien"-type script), details, and something to accentuate the ping-pong ball to follow....

Later,
EV

Here's a close-up shot that shows the wing edges trimmed in gold.

Later,
EV

Back