Final FGing Question (or two) for now

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11bravo

Reaction score
Ready to glass the tubes for my Bluelight Special Rocket.
I have a couple of questions about how to get the ends of the tube ready.

The attached is not a very good example but,
I have a tube made out of normal, 'ol cardboard that I am planning on FGing.
I have the sleeve from AeroSleeves but before I do I need to know how to treat the ends.
They have kind of rolled over, in and out of the tube, and are a bit frayed (VERY little).
What should I do to get them ready for FG?
Sand them a tad?
Dremel them a tad?
Smear/soak them in some Bob Smith or something for a bit, then sand them ready?

Also, as they are just raw cardboard, I was planning on having the sleeve wrap around the ends and into the tube a bit as the red line does in the diagram.
Any suggestions as to how far?
Guess the rear part should go to the furthest foreward CR that the motor mount and fins are part of.
Will the sleeve lay down smooth enough by hand smearing on the inside to be good to go with deployment stuff?

Thanks,

Greg

P.S. Hope this post makes sense,
I'm on some pain killers and it makes perfect sense to me, but I have enough thinking ability left to realize that it may well not make sense to others not on the drugs. :D :p :cool:

Very difficult to get the glass to roll over the edge cleanly...especially if this is one of your first glassing jobs.

I would make the tube longer than needed and just glass the outside soaking the ends real good with epoxy.

Then after the epoxy is cured...make a very careful clean cut on the ends.

That's what I would do...:rolleyes:

Back