Method of Ignition

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balsa Bob

Reaction score
Having launched rockets propelled by nothing higher than an "E" motor w/Estes igniters, I remain ignorant of what is required to ignite both "F" and "G" motors, as well as "H" and beyond. Can someone explain what is required for mid and for high powered launches? Thanks in advance. -BB

Hi Bob:

This is a "loaded" question that will get you a lot of different answers. Everyone on this forum has their own special igniter that they will expound the virtues of :D

In reality, it depends on the application, and what you've had the best luck with I would say. Some people believe that Copperhead igniters are vile. Others have had no problems with them and use them both regularly and reliably. Some folks will only use the igniter kits that allow you to "dip your own". Some folks use Oxrals, some use Aerotech's First Fire Jr's, while still others will use the Quickburst products. Some of the "old school" guys like me still roll our own using Thermalite fuse.

There just isn't any one igniter that's good for every application. The best thing I can recommend to you is to wait for others to reply to your post, search out information on each of the igniters that are mentioned, try them yourself, and see which one you prefer.

In the final summation, it's always best to find something that works for you reliably, and stick with it.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Thanks for the reply.
I've seen "F" and "G" motors in the local store noticing they come with igniters. I probably should have asked if high-powered motors also come with igniters or if they need to be purchased separately. Also, do they install the same as low and mid powered igniters? Thanks again. -BB

Originally posted by Balsa Bob
Thanks for the reply.
I've seen "F" and "G" motors in the local store noticing they come with igniters. I probably should have asked if high-powered motors also come with igniters or if they need to be purchased separately. Also, do they install the same as low and mid powered igniters? Thanks again. -BB

Mid power motors produced by Aerotech usually are supplied with either a Copperhead or First Fire Jr igniter. High power motors by Aerotech are often supplied with igniters as well, but I haven't purchased any HPR motors lately, having concentrated on mid-power rocketry over the past year or so, so I don't know if this is still the practice or not. I'll defer to others in the forum who are more well versed in this area than I am.

All igniters install pretty much the same, through the aft end or nozzle of the rocket motor. As per safety codes, igniters are generally not installed into HPR motors until the rocket has been placed safely on the launch pad. Members of our club use masking tape to tape the igniter to the outside of the rocket body until they reach the pad, then they use the tape to secure the tail of the igniter to the motor nozzle after insertion. Aerotech supplies nifty little red plastic caps to place over motor nozzle to facilitate igniter retention. Cesaroni uses yellow caps, but for the same reason.

Best Regards

In the aerotech brand all 29mm and 38mm High power motors have first fire ignitors, work well for non clustering flights. All 54mm and larger dont. I like quickburst. Check out their site at quickburst.net They have everything from ignitors for estes stuff to ignitors for O motors. I use their slim gems for large G's (if it fits) and all H-K's. If you want to use some cesaroni motors then they include an e-match, it is a small ignitor but it lights a small pryogen starter inside the motor, which then lights the motor. I like cesaroni (CTI) motors because you can light an O motor with the same thing that some guys use to light A's.

Back