My Deep Space Fantasy Model--Finally!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokitflite

Reaction score
OK Finally!
This next thread is on the development of the Rokitflite deep space fantasy model WITH PICTURES!!! The pictures of the final version are still a couple of days off, but you can see how the model developed in the meantime.

The first photos are of the model you have seen before. As I stated before, the major kits that I was trying to get a feel for were the Estes Andromeda, Starlab, USS Atlantis (Sirius Rocketry and Fishhead have REALLY made me miss this one!) and Solar Sailer. The Centuri Super Kits also had their hand in the development. The first prototype missed the mark entirely. It was too big, symmetrical and heavy looking. I was attempting to use all Quest parts for the model as well. The crew compartment is 35mm, center and rear sections are 25mm, ring BT-80 and side tubes BT-5 (Quest’s comparable sized tubes did not come in a long enough length). The only parts I liked on it were the enlarged forward crew compartment, wing tip engines, the extra BT-5 pods on the side and the big ring which is supported from the OUTSIDE making the application of sanding sealer much easier. Other than that I was disgusted with the overall look.

The next version slapped me in the face and said “I am your baby”!!! Within 5 minutes of its completion the name “Odyssey” jumped out at me. This model, #2, set the overall look of all future versions of the model. The old Estes MRN plans for the Starship Excalibur came up in my mind as well. Again, still trying to use Quest parts, I made everything thinner and less symmetrical. The forward section is 25mm, middle 20mm, and the rear back up to a 25mm (similar to the Andromeda). It had the sleek, graceful and powerful lines I was looking for. Also I was very happy with how unique it looked. Unfortunately the front and mid sections looked a little bland and the rear still needed something.

HA! There was plenty of room for a radar dish!!! Thanks USS Atlantis!!!

I decided to test fly it before I fell totally in love with the design. Here is Odyssey #2 on the pad. It is a nice sleek model with an overall length of 38”. Flights were made with B6-2s and C6-3s.

The model flew straight as an arrow with a nice looking profile in flight. Here is the recovery on an 18” chute that was more than enough to bring it down nice and slow.
At this point I was still hoping for a kit cost of around $20. With version #3 that got blown out of the water unfortunately.

More posts & pictures later...

I want one!

"Unfortunately the front and mid sections looked a little bland and the rear still needed something."

Paint and decals do wonders!

Maybe add some fuel canisters in the middle (kinda like Aquarious Explorer), or guns, or solar sails (as backup power supply!), manuevoring jets, guided missles... depending on your over all scheme.

So what is the "real" ships purpose? - transport, military... ?

Good luck,
Pat

Hi Pat,
Don't worry, there are more development photos to come! What I have pictured so far is where I was at several months ago. I will try to get pictures of the 3rd prototype up tonight, It was a big step up from #2! Lets just say that there is no longer anything bland about the finished product!:D

Jump ahead now a few weeks. I have been watching sci-fi movies like crazy for more inspiration. All of the ships you see in Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica and the Alien movies all have something that make them look extra cool and real… TONS of little details. Antennas, guns, panels and conduits. None of the functions of these little bits are ever explained, but DARN don’t they just add to the coolness factor? So now on version #3 I made a center bulkhead instead of just a standoff for the BT-5 tank. I shortened the model to 37” so there was not such a long barren section in the middle. Then I went to town with the styrene plastic! Taking advantage of the big, empty BT-80 ring, I loaded it up with all sorts of stuff. This gave the model more personality in my opinion and made it look meaner. The next few photos are various angles of the craft. Please note that all of these models so far were thrown together quickly so the fins were not sanded or finished and they are just primered.

The windows and name were just some inkjet decals I fired off to give it a little personality. (the windows are just periods and colons!)

Some quick photoshop work by our good friend El Chubbo yielded this cool shot.

Here is Odyssey #3 on the pad. It had the same great flight characteristics as version #2 and no noticeable loss of altitude from the extra pieces hanging off.

More great flights on B6-2s and C6-3s. The details and center bulkhead did not slow it down at all. Again, an 18" chute made me get some exercise chasing it.

Originally posted by rokitflite
Then I went to town with the styrene plastic!
Oh man! That is beyond wicked cool!

I once built a 'satellite' using a Quaker Oats container, some aluminum foil
and tray of styrene model parts. Crumple-rolled the foil and coated it with
some epoxy, then rolled the whole thing in the tray of parts. Finished with a
coat of gold paint.

It's a great technique to give a sci-fi "tech" feel to a ship. Just watch out for the
plastic model weenies that will pick out the 354 Chevy oil pan ask "what's that for?" :)

It still needed something and it wasn’t just decals. Think about it, which of the sci-fi movies that I mentioned earlier had elaborately painted and decaled ships? The Battlestar Galactica only says “Galactica” on the side, almost the same goes for the Enterprise. So I turned prototype #3 over to a friend of mine who builds some of the most beautiful military armor models I have ever seen. I said weather it, and have fun! The next few pictures show a well used and slightly war weary version #3. This thing looks mean now! Unfortunately the price has now crept up to the $30 range.

I think the extra details make this a great kit that I'd like to build over time and enjoy! The new details seem like they're in a pretty safe place to avoid damage (at least launching and recovery.) The 18mm is a great size for me.

Styrene is new to me. I'd hafta practice some first!

I'd pay $30 for a kit w good instructions - it'd keep ME busy for quite some time! :) Like all winter!?

Great photos - the weathered look, looks great!

Good luck,
Pat

Hi Pat,
I only ever really had one problem with all of the stuff at the rear. The parachute ejected and got caught all up in it. The rocket is so light though that it just drifted down sideways and slowly and there was no damage. This is why I am recommending the shorter delay motors so the chute pops when the model moving slowly at apogee.

Great job -I love all the little details - and the weathering effect looks great. The only thing I'd would change is add some more color to the decals -some red's and yellows - instead of plain black. What do you think ??

Oh, don't you worry! The photos of the final model should be up soon. I will try to get a picture of the completed decal sheet at least tonight. And you hit the nail on the head, there is red and gold on it!:D

Very nice - Looks as good or better than some of the deep space fantasy models produced by Estes in their golden years! And beautiful job on the finish - she really looks sweet!

Greg

OK, at this point its now determined that this will not be able to be a Quest kit (too many darn parts!!!). What I THOUGHT would be the final version (#4) was built with all Estes tubes. The thinner BT-20 center section looked better, a little more fragile like the Discovery from 2001. I liked that! I tried to make the center bulkhead 2” long so that it would be the same size as the outboard engines (less tube sizes to cut), but it looked wrong. Also I was going to make the model 36” but through some chain of errors it ended up being 39”… The longest yet! Then the 1/8” balsa I used was too light and the fins warped. The model was cast into the basement 75% finished. While working on version #5 I decided to finish #4 just to test color and decals.

Since all the little details would be optional (although the materials are included in the kit) I thought it would be a good idea to include random shapes and gray boxes on the decal sheet so those folks who did not want to deal with the details could use decals to substitue.

Originally posted by gpoehlein
Very nice - Looks as good or better than some of the deep space fantasy models produced by Estes in their golden years! And beautiful job on the finish - she really looks sweet!

Greg

Greg thanks,
That is about the best compliment that I could receive on this kit. Thats exactly the feel that I wanted for this kit and I do want people who are fans of the old Estes kits to be happy with my final product.

My friend Jerry Flynn gave me a crash course on resin casting. At this point I determined that I wanted to make this an easy kit for modelers to finish. So now, all of the nose cones that were to be balsa are cast from resin as well as the parts to the radar dish. The builder is now only left to fill 3 balsa fins and no other parts. This popped the price up a little more but for the extra sanding and filling it saves, I felt it was worth the now $38 price tag.

OKAY....OKAY....ENOUGH! ALLREADY!!!....you have NAILED IT!....I want #5...with ALL the details!!!:eek: Just let me know what to do next!!!:)

Originally posted by billEblurzz
OKAY....OKAY....ENOUGH! ALLREADY!!!....you have NAILED IT!....I want #5...with ALL the details!!!:eek: Just let me know what to do next!!!:)

Lol! Sorry, I am awaiting a CD with the photos I took of the final version! I thought I would have it before the weekend but that was not the case. Here is a photo of #5 next to #3 with just its color coat on...

While working on the photo model I discovered that I could cast CLEAR parts!!! Now that the design is finished, most all of the parts ready to bag, I feel I HAVE to incorporate this new feature… IDEA!!! Make an optional lighting kit for the fin tip pod!!! Luckily I did not glue the nose cone on the pod on version #3 (too late for the photo model though). This was such a cool addition but, of course, it brings the kit price up to $42. Darn I am now at over twice what I originally intended. I have now decided that since it is so neat, I am going to include the lighting kit for free with the first 20 kits that are sold. After that the lighting kit will be an extra option for $4. The basic kit is now still $38… Whew! The clear cone is actually a smoked color so it almost looks black until the flashing light comes on.

Back