New kit for NARAM

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilly

Reaction score
I'll try to keep this brief...

We are spending the month of June getting our house ready for sale. If it's all completed on schedule, I'm going to treat myself to a new kit for NARAM. Something decent-sized, scale, and relatively uncomplicated. I'm thinking of the PML Black Brant VB or the Cosmodrome Black Brant II. Either one's about 50-60 bucks.

I've no doubt the PML kit would go together quickly, but what about the Cosmodrome kit? It looks like a great challenge. I'm stumped about how to reinforce the balsa nose cone and boat-tail. I've never used fiberglass before, and am wondering if some kind of thin epoxy applied directly on the balsa would work ok? Or would glassing something that small be fairly simple?

You shouldn't need to galss it at all. Just sand and seal and paint.

If you really want to glass it, you may want to use some light weight glass that has a good drape. I've used .5oz stuff to get in and around small radii successfully.

kj

Some thin epoxy painted on a balsa nc or boatail works great. Just make sure you get it smooth, and that no bugs fly into it while its drying.:kill:

Back