What cell phone service?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
So everyone, what cell phone service to you subscribe to and any pros/cons?

What about actual cell phones, themselves? Anyone bluetooth enabled? Recommendations?

If this is for you, you might want to check what your company may be providing you. At my company, they provided us all with Nextel phones as soon as we started working here. 5 months later, they switched to T-Mobile because they had a cheaper package plan. 6 months from now, they may switch again because someone else is cheaper. But in the meantime, I'm saving 40 bucks a month because I don't have to have my own cell phone anymore! (And yes, I know, there is a slight ethical issue about using a company cell phone for personal business. My company has said we can use ours for personal calls as long as they are within the US and are not used for illegal purposes.)

Just a suggestion: If your new company gives you a phone, and you want another phone for your wife, get one from the same manufacturer that has the same charging adapter. That way, you can both charge your phones at home, and you can keep the one that comes with your Boeing-provided phone at work in case you need to top-off. It also helps if you want to have a charger in your car since you only need 1 charger, not 2.

WW

Verizon.

It is your destiny.

Originally posted by akpilot
So everyone, what cell phone service to you subscribe to and any pros/cons?

What about actual cell phones, themselves? Anyone bluetooth enabled? Recommendations?

One thing to remember about cell phone companies is that there service can vary drastically in different regions. It might be best to wait till you move and ask around about the local reception. I have sprint now and love it. I almost never have a problem getting service. However out at our elsberry launches I can't talk to anybody and other people are chatting away.

Before Sprint I used AT&T (now cingular). I often had no signal and even when I did people couldn't get a hold of me because the service sucked. I don't know if the situation has improved or not since the merger.

Originally posted by shreadvector
Verizon.

It is your destiny.
NOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!

I cancelled two Verizon phone lines AND my DSL service, because of their crappy customer service people. You are O.K. until you have a problem, but GOD HELP YOU if you ever need to speak to someone there with an IQ higher than a potted plant.

Let's try that again.

This is CNN.

;)

Originally posted by vjp
NOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!

I cancelled two Verizon phone lines AND my DSL service, because of their crappy customer service people. You are O.K. until you have a problem, but GOD HELP YOU if you ever need to speak to someone there with an IQ higher than a potted plant.

Originally posted by shreadvector
Let's try that again.

This is CNN.

;)
I understood... :D

But here's <a href="https://devan1.tripod.com/Sounds/AFRAID.WAV" target="_new">my advice</a>, for anyone thinking about Verizon...

Originally posted by vjp
You are O.K. until you have a problem, but GOD HELP YOU if you ever need to speak to someone there with an IQ higher than a potted plant.

Ain't gonna happen - trained people might ask for a living wage!I've lost too many jobs that way!

My wife and I have been with Sprint PCS for a little over 5 years now and would recommend them to anyone.

I used to travel half of the year around the country for business and I nearly always had good service.

As others have stated, check with people in your area as it can radically effect the network service.

I have nextel...

my work provided me with a phone... it is a 2 line phone, so i got my wife a nextel phone, and had them program a companion line on my work phone... 2 lines... one handset... that way both are with me always...

later
Jerryb

I've been with Cingular for about 2-3 years. I got it because they had the cheapest basic plan, about $20 a month. I don't make or receive a lot of calls so I don't want to pay for tons of extra air time that I'm not using. Nor do I care about fancy features such as photos, internet, text messages, etc. (What's the point of a text message on a phone anyway? Why not just _talk_ to each other??)

The only problem I had with Cingular was that coverage in remote areas was even less than with other major services. However, since they merged with ATT the coverage is greatly improved.

I've been with sprint for years and they S*CK!!! i get no signal in most of the places i spend time, while others are chating away right next to me. why i haven't switched yet is a long story but it will happen soon. i would NOT recomend sprint to ANYONE!

I just switched from T-Mobile to Cingular (work discount at Cingular). I could have also chosen Verizon, but the rollover minutes really tipped the bucket. As for coverage - Cingular is good - I even get it at the launch site when T-Mobile wouldn't. Overall I'm a happy camper.

Edward

I got a good deal for 2 cell phones through AAA, the auto club.

Plus, I got road service too!

That's really a good idea when in a new city!

I travel all over my state for work...road service is just cheap insurance...assurance...security...whatever...it's just nice to have.

I have to say a Nokia digital.

Very popular and lots of stuff available for them.

Back