new boost-glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Fisher

Reaction score
-That new Quest E-Z boost glider in the "what's new" section looks pretty cool. The glider looks pretty simple, I hope it flies well.

Originally posted by Rob Fisher
-That new Quest E-Z boost glider in the "what's new" section looks pretty cool. The glider looks pretty simple, I hope it flies well.
It's a Rob Edmonds design, so I'd expect it to be on par with the Edmonds CiCi, more or less.

-That Edmonds Ci Ci looks even more cool. I like the way the "motor pod" is part of the front of the glider, allowing you to focus on the glider & not having to worry about the booster.
-Anybody fly one of these?

-That Edmonds Ci Ci looks even more cool. I like the way the "motor pod" is part of the front of the glider, allowing you to focus on the glider & not having to worry about the booster.
-Anybody fly one of these?
I've flown CiCi's 4 or 5 times. They are pretty cool. The only thing is that they eject the spent motor without a streamer or anything. I had the boys (second graders) in my Cub Scout den build CiCi's for our pack's upcoming rocket launch on June 4th, which should be lots of fun.

Take a look at the Edmonds site and the reviews on EMRR for more info.

https://members.aol.com/RobEdmonds/Edmonds.html

https://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/search/searchall.cgi?edmonds

I have flown the CiCi several times. It is so easy to prepare for flight. Just insert the motor and igniter into the the engine tube, hook up the clips to the igniter and launch. Flies great with the recommended engine.

Building the kit was very easy. I used wood glue and a plastic square for alignment. Also, it is helps to coat each side of the fuselage with CA to strengthen it.

Best regards,
Brian

I've been frustrated by the last couple Edmonds I put together. they fly OK but the wood is very soft and breaks quite easily (just outside of the joint). that plus the yellow wood glue I was using seems to have expired (joints breaking), the gliders conspire to self-destruct before they even launch!

anyways, can't wait to try the new Quest glider.

I read a lot of reviews & it seems like the Edmonds Ci Ci glider breaks kinda easily. I think I'll go with the Quest E-Z glider, plus it's easily available at Hobby Lobby. I wonder if maybe the weight of the motor pod causes it to break at that point? It also seems that the ejection charge shock causes the glider to break in two. Perhaps a seperate booster IS the best way to go here in order to keep the delicate balsa glider in one piece.

I built 5 CiCis for a demo launch and used thin CA throughout.

Very sturdy and quick to build.

I read a lot of reviews & it seems like the Edmonds Ci Ci glider breaks kinda easily. I think I'll go with the Quest E-Z glider, plus it's easily available at Hobby Lobby. I wonder if maybe the weight of the motor pod causes it to break at that point? It also seems that the ejection charge shock causes the glider to break in two. Perhaps a seperate booster IS the best way to go here in order to keep the delicate balsa glider in one piece.
I haven't had any breakage problems with the CiCi's that I bought a few months ago. Rob Edmonds told me that they now have consistently hard balsa, which was a problem in the past.

Originally posted by JRThro
I haven't had any breakage problems with the CiCi's that I bought a few months ago. Rob Edmonds told me that they now have consistently hard balsa, which was a problem in the past.

Interesting tradeoff.

Light contest balsa yields longer flight times.

Hard balsa is tougher and better able to handle hard landings. Not a big deal for contest types--good glider designs often fly away once properly trimmed. :rolleyes:

I've heard that contest balsa is cheaper to cut by laser, but this differential is offset by the higher cost of the balsa. I'd imagine that laser cutting is getting cheaper.

Back