Rust-oleum Metallic paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter

Reaction score
This stuff is a Dream to work with and when it is covered with Rust-oleum crystal clear it turns out awesome

Originally posted by Bowhunter
This stuff is a Dream to work with and when it is covered with Rust-oleum crystal clear it turns out awesome

You, sir, have magic fingers. It took me months to lern how to get it to act right sometimes, and only recently got a clear coat to work on it.

I agree, the Rust-oleum is great. I used the metallic black on a 7 foot 5.5" dia. rocket recently then applied the clear and it is glass smooth and very glossy.

A couple of things I did though was to change the nozzle on the can to one that sprays in a fan shape. I found that this sprayed much easier and applied a more even coat. I also found that you have to spray the clear pretty close to get the nice glass smooth glossy finish. If you are to far away with the clear, it does not dry as smooth.

...Fudd

Bowhunter

Could you post a picture of the paint job?

Lamar

That's mighty nice. :)

You aren't just going to show without telling are you?

In the same series is their "hammered metal" finish. looks really great with bright colored fins.

A

Does anyone know the details of the 'chemistry' of rustoleum paint? Someone once told me that these paints inhibit rust because they include some kind of penetrating oil that soaks into rusty metal to stop further corrosion. *If* that is true, should we be using these paints on cardboard and plastic parts?

Originally posted by powderburner
Does anyone know the details of the 'chemistry' of rustoleum paint? Someone once told me that these paints inhibit rust because they include some kind of penetrating oil that soaks into rusty metal to stop further corrosion. *If* that is true, should we be using these paints on cardboard and plastic parts?

From their FAQ page-
Q: "Can I use Rusty Metal Primer on clean metal?"
A: "No. The fish oil that is in the primer needs to penetrate into rust to seal out air and moisture. If there is no rust, the oil will rise to the surface making adhesion of the finish coat difficult."

Not exactly the same as cardboard, but seems to make your point extremely valid.
Good catch.

Greg

Not exactly sure you can apply that answer to their entire line of paint since it specifically refers to their product "rusty metal primer". I can say that I use plenty of rustoleum paint and don't have any fish eye problems nor any obviously oil soaked body tubes.

I've used plain rustoleum and the hammered metal with no ill effects. I love the hammered metal!

Ditto:
Most of the inhibitors are in the Rusty metal primer. Top coat colors contain a bit but I haven't seen any ill effect on seveal models and home projects i've painted. I've alway Like Rustoleum products! now that they are finally getting some decent colors..HOT DOG! OH! that same metallic blue Bowhunter used makes for great looking set of Outdoor folding chairs...What ya think we only paint rockets?;)

LOL...I wasn't sure you had time for painting anything BUT rockets micro :)

Originally posted by Bowhunter
I use a lot of Rustoleum Metallics and have been very pleased. Clearcoats really add a lot of depth and shine to the metallic finish. Even a single coat of Future floor polish works great, and there is no risk of crinkling the base coat if you apply it too early.

Originally posted by BobCox
I use a lot of Rustoleum Metallics and have been very pleased. Clearcoats really add a lot of depth and shine to the metallic finish. Even a single coat of Future floor polish works great, and there is no risk of crinkling the base coat if you apply it too early.

I did something (I'm not sure what) and the silver paint crinkled on a small section of a rocket. I wiped it off and reapplied it later and, except for a line where it came off and some roughness, it is OK now.

Originally posted by m85476585
I did something (I'm not sure what) and the silver paint crinkled on a small section of a rocket.
I've seen that happen with clear-coat spray paint. The solvent and/or propellant in the paint will sometimes attack the underlying color coats. Future acrylic floor polish is water-based and does not have harsh solvents, so it should not bother the base paint.

Back