Big Betty at Hobby Lobby

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11bravo

Reaction score
Stopped at HL after a Dr appointment this morning and was looking over the rocket items and decided to go with a Quest Big Betty.
Looked at the packaging and decided that it needs more so I got some 1/8" basswood for fins and CRs and sticking a 24mm in it for E's. :D
Good thing I thought ahead and got the basswood too, the fins were broken in the package.
Noticed after I opened it that the NC is a bit larger OD than the BT so thinking I may put a layer of 2 oz FG on it and do the same with the fins TTW.
Make for a strong little bird.
'Course, maybe should be thinking 29mm.

Greg

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Stopped at HL after a Dr appointment this morning and was looking over the rocket items and decided to go with a Quest Big Betty.
Looked at the packaging and decided that it needs more so I got some 1/8" basswood for fins and CRs and sticking a 24mm in it for E's. :D
Good thing I thought ahead and got the basswood too, the fins were broken in the package.
Noticed after I opened it that the NC is a bit larger OD than the BT so thinking I may put a layer of 2 oz FG on it and do the same with the fins TTW.
Make for a strong little bird.
'Course, maybe should be thinking 29mm.

Greg
iam gonna buy one!!

I've got one waiting in the package for a 24mm MMT.

I'm thinking E9s and F21s!

A G80 requires more overbuilding than I'm motivated to do.

Radiator, I built one using a 24 mmt & flew it with an E9. It's a very impressive flight.

Darian,

What did you do for centering rings? Resize the ones in the kit, or did you have custom ones made, or make them yourself? :)

Originally posted by TheRadiator
Darian,

What did you do for centering rings? Resize the ones in the kit, or did you have custom ones made, or make them yourself? :)

I just resized the ones in the kit. I also replaced the parachute with one of Rockethead's great mylar chutes. :)

I built my Quest Big Betty with a 24mm D mount & love it! It flies awesome & straight as an arrow. I would definitely go with a 12" chute though. Mine recovers great on this size with no damage. :)

Originally posted by Darian Rachal
I just resized the ones in the kit. I also replaced the parachute with one of Rockethead's great mylar chutes. :)

Cool beans..... I figure if I secure the CR's with Gorilla glue, then handling an F21 should be no problem. :)

I didn't check to see if this one had the old "grocery bag" parachute or the improved, more Estes-like plastic one. I've found they work just fine as long as you use plenty of "dog barf"! Though if I fly with AP, I can assure you I will at least use mylar. :)

I think the Big Betty would be a nice kit to stage, as well. I imagine you'd get quite a flight with a D12/E9-8 combo. :eek:

I noticed something the other day. The Big Bertha (and probably the betty too) is just about the right size to be a 38mm minimum diameter. I'm thinking scratchbuild one out of glassed phenolic and stick in an I161! That'd get people's attention!

Darian Rachal wrote: I think the Big Betty would be a nice kit to stage, as well. I imagine you'd get quite a flight with a D12/E9-8 combo.
I built one. I call it the Betty-Gee. It's a sorta upscale Astron Apogee II.
https://home.flash.net/~samily/betty-bash/

cjl wrote: I noticed something the other day. The Big Bertha (and probably the betty too) is just about the right size to be a 38mm minimum diameter. I'm thinking scratchbuild one out of glassed phenolic and stick in an I161! That'd get people's attention!

The Big Betty is about a perfect fit. (The Bertha is a tad larger in diameter). In fact, I used a coupler for 38mm motor tubing as my staging coupler in the Betty-Gee.

Somewhere on the web is a pic of a Bertha with a 38mm J motor in it.

Doug

Nice rockets, Doug. Those Big Bettys are a nice buy when you can get them for 40-50% off at Hobby Lobby. :)

Back