center of gravity & center of pressure

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Fisher

Reaction score
-Anybody know where you can get those cool little stickers for your rocket? Center of pressure ain't such a big deal, but I would like to mark my rockets with the center of gravity. It would really help with swing tests.-Thanks.

-Well according to the Quest mini-manual of model rocketry: "You don't need to calculate the CP of a model rocket to determine if it is stable".;)

Both are big deal. But the CG is easy to find and as you say you can then swing test (most of the time) to determine if CP is a bigger deal :)

The only stickers I ever had I got from Apogee for free IIRC.

-sounds good, rstaff-but does anybody know if you can get stickers for both the CG & CP?:)

You guys!!!

Duh!

Go here.

https://fliskits.com/products/01prod_fs.htm

Got to Products then

Under components

go to misc.

Part number DCWFK-002 Large
or # DCWFK-003 Small

OK I forget the prices Like $3 and $5 or something but they are a nice silkscreened waterslide decal.

Oh, I hope Jim doesn't mind me posting a picture of his product.

-Thanks Sandman. Besides the obvious scientific stability marking, they just plain look cool.:cool:

Originally posted by sandman

Oh, I hope Jim doesn't mind me posting a picture of his product.

Promote MY product, will ya?????

Sheesh, the nerve of some people... :p :p :p

I was *hoping* someone would mention them! :)

The price is $2.95 for DCW-FK003 Click here for a color image

There is also the DCW-FK002 for $4.95. Click here for a pix of the whole decal sheet

or, click here for a closeup of the CP/CG markers

All of our decals are professional silkscreened waterslide decals and are very high quality.

You can find out more about our decal sets here: https://fliskits.com/products/components/prod_pages/decals.htm

jim

Back in the Stone Age I bought NAR water slide Decal sheets from NARTS. Each sheet contained a number of different size NAR logos, numerals and several sets of CP CG indicators. I still use them often. I'm not sure if NARTS still has them but it would be worth a look on-line;)

Jim: Glad to see someone is picking up the ball:D:D

An alternative (sorry Jim!) could be to print the symbols on stick-on labels. Cut them out, and voila!

The decals would be way nicer and cooler, though. I just usually go for the quick and dirty approach, as is demonstrated by the many naked rockets in my fleet.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. What I'd really like to find is a decal or sticker sheet of nothing but C.G. & C.P. symbols.

Rob:
That you'll have to do for yourself. It really is very easy to do black line symbols with Chartpak or one of the other lable materials available at most any office supply or art supply store.
You could also take the plunge into inkjet waterslide decal making with a simple graphics program and a few sheets of inkjet pre-clear coated decal papers and a couple cans of Testors matte clear:)
One of the best (and most expensive) sources for very good inkjet papers that you'll recieve in useable condition is Micro-Marks. www.micromark.com There are plenty of other sources but usually the quarilty of the paper, white or clear base coatings as well as the packaging and shipping from the cheaper places just don't cut it. If your lucky you might get a few sheets in useable condition if ordering from www.waterslidedecal.com I causion you I've had several bad shippments from ALL the major inexpensive Decal paper companies with the exception of Micro-Marks. Pay a little more at Micro-Mark but you'll use every single sheet you order.
Hope this helps a bit

Originally posted by Micromeister
I causion you I've had several bad shippments from ALL the major inexpensive Decal
paper companies with the exception of Micro-Marks.
I've heard good things about BelDecals - https://www.beldecal.com/model_decals.cfm#ink
but haven't had the opportunity to try them yet.

Micro- Are you including them in your 'ALL companies' statement above?

Originally posted by brianc
I've heard good things about BelDecals - https://www.beldecal.com/model_decals.cfm#ink
but haven't had the opportunity to try them yet.

Micro- Are you including them in your 'ALL companies' statement above?

I got my decal stock from BelDecals and out of 25 sheets there was 1 bad one. The clear base coating was missing in the shape of a hand print. :p :rolleyes:

The sheets came packaged in a ziplock bag inside a cardboard sleeve that protected them during shipping.

The coating is a little on the thick side and I have heard that the Micro-Mark stock is a little thinner but I haven't tried them yet.

I think Micromeister likes them the best because they have "Micro" in their name. ;) :D

Yes I am including Bel, my first small order shippment came in with only a few dog eared sheets and lots of dust and things in the dried film. Like Bob my second larger order from them came in a ziploc bag taped to a single sheet of light cardboard inside a bubblepak lined envelope. Unfortunately our buddies at the post office ROLLED the light cardboard and decal paper. 30 sheets lost, very difficult getting BEL to respond. I ask if a second shippment could be marked do not bend.. they said they would but didn't, the third shipment wasn't rolled as the first but was folded in half at some point. OBTW I have a huge mailbox that can easily handle 11x17 packaged materials so I don't believe it's our local postal carrier that is doing the damage?

Ah Ha Bob I hadn't thought of that... well maybe:D:D No; Micro-Marks sandwiches the porduct in a sleeve of heavy cardboard, sealed in heavy plastic wrap inside a very well marked envelope "DO NOT BEND" I use a lot of the stuff, to date I'm pleased to report not a single sheet has been damaged in shippment.
As for quality of the product; Every type i've tried, Laser and inkjet forms, white and clear background have been superb. Consistant flim thickness, lack of imbedded trash (something I saw a lot of in Bel sheets) and fairly consistant border to border background film coverage. Very high marks in every catagory.
Heres the real kicker!...I was told a couple years ago that Micro-Marks material came from Beldecal. If so Micro-Mark holds them to a much higher quality standard than Bel sells to its customers on-line.
Which source you guys pick is entirely up to you, but I'll continue to pay the slightly higher price per sheet from Micro-Mark knowing what I'll get will be first quality, completely useable material.
As Greg was saying in another thread about the quaitity difference between presentation paper and bond paper for printing body wraps, the difference is in what your printed decal end up looking like. To these old eyes, if I don't screen print the background clear fim on the sheets myself, Micro-Marks is the very best second choice. End of this commerical announcment:D
Hope this helps:)

12 years later I had the same question. Flis still makes the decal sheets, but if you want nothing but CG/CP stickers, 25 pairs, have a look at Mark Hayes' stickershock23(dot)com. One or two color versions, available in several sizes.

Anybody know where you can get those cool little stickers for your rocket?

www.ibuildrockets.com

They are not listed on the website but I am sure he would have them in stock. Shoot Sascha an email and he will quote you on them. He does great work with his vinyl cutter :) You will probably need to specify what color you want, but black is standard.

Back