High flying Astra

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Fisher

Reaction score
This is a Quest Astra & I'm thinking about making it a min. diameter D rocket. I'll ditch the chute & go with as much streamer as I can fit in the bt. I just hope that I will be able to recover it.

-a 6ft. streamer fits easily. I wonder how fast it would go & how high? If I do it I'll paint it all black for visibility.
Think this would be a bad idea if I want to get it back?-Anyone do anything similar?
I'd probably go with a black crepe streamer also.
I could always use the mmt/centering rings as a nice 18mm adapter.

breaking mach on a d12 or e9? or are you thinking of some AT reloads?

sounds like a fun little thing :D

If you've got it to break mach on BP motors, GIVE ME A LIST OF PARTS :D

Karl

-just kiddin, I knew I could get a response with that!:D
-How bout it, anyone else make & fly a 24mm min. dia. rocket & actually recover it?

The only thing Ive recovered that is min dia is the Estes Wizzard on a C6-7 and that was only once!
Karl

Yeah, I think this may be commiting rocket suicide. I think I'll think this one through a little longer.:(

a long streamer may still carry it far ..just build it strong and mabey use nose blow recovery.

Originally posted by stymye
a long streamer may still carry it far ..just build it strong and mabey use nose blow recovery.
Nose blow recovery?-Do you mean..like tumble recovery?:confused:

Originally posted by Rob Fisher
Nose blow recovery?-Do you mean..like tumble recovery?:confused:

It's the same concept, but instead of the motor being ejected the nose pops off, giving the same effect. You just tie your shock cord to the nose and you're good to go. Nose-blow recovery is only used when you know the rocket would drift away with a parachute or streamer. I haven't used it yet.

I'm gonna go with the 18mm mount after all. Let's face it, this thing would disappear & I'd never see it again. I think as far as min. dia. rockets go...........I think I'll stick to my Yankee:D

why not build it with a 24mm block and make an adapter? best of both worlds

Originally posted by Rob Fisher
-just kiddin, I knew I could get a response with that!:D
-How bout it, anyone else make & fly a 24mm min. dia. rocket & actually recover it?

I HAD a 24mm min dia rocket that i flew for 3 launches in a row... recovered nicely on a 9" chute.

had it lawn dart about 2 months ago, due to what i think was a problem with me packing it too quickly and causing the end of the shock cord getting jammed between the cone and the bt.

that bugger rocked on c11-7 engines... D12-5 meant at least a mile walk to get it... haha

later
Jerryb

For a color, may I recommend hot pink? Brighter than flouresecent orange or red.

I know it sounds odd, but I've found the hot pink chute (from my Binder IRIS) on my big Micron is incredibly visible...cloudy, sunny, whatever, seeing the pink dot appear in the sky always lets me instantly know that "that part" of the sequence was successful. It would make a good streamer if you can find one in that color.

Not a "Mr Manly" color, but it works great for me...

Dave

I used florescent yellow on the min dia one i built..

pink would be easier to see i think though.. although the yellow wasnt too bad to see

looked through all my rocket photos, and didnt have one of it.. figgures

later
Jerryb

Originally posted by mrbusdriver
For a color, may I recommend hot pink? Brighter than flouresecent orange or red.

I know it sounds odd, but I've found the hot pink chute (from my Binder IRIS) on my big Micron is incredibly visible...cloudy, sunny, whatever, seeing the pink dot appear in the sky always lets me instantly know that "that part" of the sequence was successful. It would make a good streamer if you can find one in that color.

Dave

Yesterday i flew my Tidal Wave on a D motor. The Tidal Wave was a RTF rocket that went oop like a year ago. Its kinda been my backyard rocket and had well over 20 launches on it. I used nose blow recovery for it as i thought i would lost it but never did, however, it did break several times on landing. Anways, i trimmed the plastic mmt that those rockets have and jammed a D in it. It went well out of sight, specially since no streamer or anything. My friend says he saw it land out over some trees but i never saw it after the tracking smoke. It broke 2500 ft easy. Awesome to watch but never recovered. I would recommend for ANY high flying rocket using a streamer for tracking alone. I regret not using one cuz it would be neat to launch that puppy again. Def use a streamer if u plan on airmailing this one...

Originally posted by mrbusdriver

I have 2 hot pink ripstop nylon chutes from Thrustline and I wouldn't buy any other color! Hot pink is definitely the best color chute for high visibility.

Dave

In general you want colors that contrast to your background. In the sky you were correct in selecting black. However for a streamer that you will eventually have to locate on the darker ground I would suggest a pink, orange or red (colors that do not usually occur in nature except maybe in the fall). I would say that with a sturdy build job, a little nose weight just to be sure and a 2-3 foot streamer you could get it back. You may hurt your neck trying to track it though!:D

Originally posted by Nitro Mojo
It broke 2500 ft easy. Awesome to watch but never recovered.

How'd ya do that! The Goblin was a smaller, lighter rocket with no plastic parts and that did not make it to 2000 ft. Was it an Estes D?

-Played it safe & went with 18mm mount. Only changes were to the chute: Quest 14" chute too big for C motors, installed 12" Estes chute with the spill-hole cut out.

-Unless your flying in a HUGE farmers field,-do not use anything but a streamer on this rocket!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I'd start out cautiously & launch her on a B6-4...........Goodbye! Even with the large spill-hole cut out in the 12" chute, it didn't even matter-it sailed away-over the river, over the tree line........gone. Oh sweet rocket, built with love & laborious care & detail, gone on her maiden flight-nothing left but pictures & memories. I feel sick.:(
Oh, well-I'll have to pick me up another one at the H.L. sale. I got a lot of launches out of my Fliskits Praetor though, this one is as reliable as my 18mm Big Bertha!:)

Too bad. Tis better to have love and have lost...

Once I flew my Estes Stardart (minimum diameter) on a B6-4. It got to about a thousand feet when the shock cord burnt through (I couldn't get enough wadding in that BT-20 tube). The body came down without a parachute, shock cord, or damage. The nose cone was still attached to the parachute, so it fell for about ten minutes. I got it back though. After I get in a streamer, it will fly again!

Latest posts

Back