Using Nomex Chute Protectors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westy

Reaction score
Just curious to learn how you all are mounting (using) your nomex chute protectors.

Do you secure the chute protector to the shock cord? If so what methods have worked for you.

Do you let the chute protector slide up along the shock cord (ie: not fixed in one point).

At what point o you attach your chute protector to the shock cord? (a few feet from the end of the cord??)

Thanks in advance!

Westy

I would think that there are many ways to do this. Here is what I do.

I don't actually "mount" the nomex chute protector. I cut the very smallest hole that will allow the shock cord to go through. I slide the shock cord through to the point where the quick link and shock cord meet. Then I tape it in place. Tape on both sides so it can't move. It looks real ugly, but it gets the job done.

I attach mine to the quick link that i attach the parachute to, but we use a plastic tie thing (cant think of the name) and keep it attached to the quick link. On my dads 2nd L-2 attemp, the heatshield rode up on the parachute and got tangled, choked it up to much, and caused a fin to get knocked out. Its the same thing that I do on my thumper and i have never had any problems

I use heat shields on a few of my mpr birds. I have a kevlar leader from the mmt to the top of the body tube. I put that leader through the hole in the heatshield, loop the leader back around and through the hole again. That holds it in place pretty well. Then, I pack my 'chute and shock cord into it like it's a little cup and push it in. Works great so far!

I put key rings (like what's on a key chain) on my Nomex. They are just as effective but much lighter than quicklinks, not to mention that they are not load bearing devices anyway... So on my MPR birds I have tied small loops in the shock cord & use the key ring to clip the shield off/on to share them between my rockets. On larger rockets I can still attach the shields to quicklinks. Cheap & effective :)

Mine have become rather crispy from use. How do folks wash theirs? Or do you just throw them away after a while & replace them? Thanks!

I get mine from Pratt Hobbies and they have a reinforced slot near one corner for the shock cord to pass through. I use that and let the protector slide freely along the shock cord. That way I can slide it down next to the end of the motor tube when I pack my chute and shock cord so that the protector is the first thing that sees the ejection gases.

I also use the 5/8" Kevlar shock cord from Pratt. Both are good products and Doug Pratt is a great guy to deal with.

Well, since I have only been doing rocketry larger than a mid-size Estes rocket, I have had limited exposure to all the different recovery methods used in HPR. I am assuming that these parachute protectors are used in place of recovery wadding? Sounds rather interesting. Maybe on the next rocket...
Thanks,
Reed

Usually I use chute protectors as a 'wrap' around my chute. After folding my chute, I lay it in the protector, roll it around twice, fold the ends in, then finish the roll. Kind of like a burrito. that way I know all the chute is inside the protector.

Edward

I used to use the heat shield the same way as Estes wadding, but still had some scorching from hot gas that leaked around the edges. I also had chutes that ejected from the body but got tangled shroud lines and failed to open properly.

Then Tom Quin at QModeling showed me the 'burrito wrap' method as well as a new technique for folding parachutes. Since then my chutes have all deployed reliably and I have had no more scorching.

Which is better, Kevlar or Nomex for the chute protectors. Gaint Leap showed their Kevlar protectors to be more fire-resistant than Nomex, but a lot of you seem to be using Nomex.
Reed

My experience is not particularly scientific (ie controlled conditions), but my new Giant Leap Kevlar protector burned through on its second flight. I personally think their older protectors held up just as well or better. The best I've found is home made from car airbags.

Speaking of the kevlar protectors, which side goes towards the parachute?
Fuzzy or the smooth side?
Or doesn't it matter?

Thanks,

Greg

I use a Kevlar shock cord that extends just the length of the body and mounted to aft motor ring. Then attach bungee or elastic cord that extends beyond body in hopes of preventing zippering.
Question is, I have had issues using Nomex just stuffed down against the motor and would like to try the Nomex parachute wrapping method but

should I include the very long bungee or elestic portions of shock cords inside the Nomex blanket with chute and chute release to prevent burns to non Kevlar shock cords.
When I try this it's just too big a burrito to fit.

Or do I place non Kevlar shock cords above the burrito in tube?

thanks

Back