Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Using Nomex Chute Protectors

Just curious to learn how you all are mounting (using) your nomex chute protectors.

Do you secure the chute protector to the shock cord? If so what methods have worked for you.

Do you let the chute protector slide up along the shock cord (ie: not fixed in one point).

At what point o you attach your chute protector to the shock cord? (a few feet from the end of the cord??)

Thanks in advance!

Westy

Re: Using Nomex Chute Protectors

I would think that there are many ways to do this. Here is what I do.

I don't actually "mount" the nomex chute protector. I cut the very smallest hole that will allow the shock cord to go through. I slide the shock cord through to the point where the quick link and shock cord meet. Then I tape it in place. Tape on both sides so it can't move. It looks real ugly, but it gets the job done.

Randy
    NAR #80885, L3
    TRA #10922, L3
    NAR Section #648 ROSCO (Senior Advisor)
    NAR Section #648 ROSCO (Treasurer)

www.rocketmaniac.com

I attach mine to the quick link that i attach the parachute to, but we use a plastic tie thing (cant think of the name) and keep it attached to the quick link. On my dads 2nd L-2 attemp, the heatshield rode up on the parachute and got tangled, choked it up to much, and caused a fin to get knocked out. Its the same thing that I do on my thumper and i have never had any problems
    -Connor

Everything I want to do, I can't LEGALLY do, and everything I can legally do, I've already done...

I use heat shields on a few of my mpr birds. I have a kevlar leader from the mmt to the top of the body tube. I put that leader through the hole in the heatshield, loop the leader back around and through the hole again. That holds it in place pretty well. Then, I pack my 'chute and shock cord into it like it's a little cup and push it in. Works great so far!

I put key rings (like what's on a key chain) on my Nomex. They are just as effective but much lighter than quicklinks, not to mention that they are not load bearing devices anyway... So on my MPR birds I have tied small loops in the shock cord & use the key ring to clip the shield off/on to share them between my rockets. On larger rockets I can still attach the shields to quicklinks. Cheap & effective

Mine have become rather crispy from use. How do folks wash theirs? Or do you just throw them away after a while & replace them? Thanks!

I get mine from Pratt Hobbies and they have a reinforced slot near one corner for the shock cord to pass through. I use that and let the protector slide freely along the shock cord. That way I can slide it down next to the end of the motor tube when I pack my chute and shock cord so that the protector is the first thing that sees the ejection gases.

I also use the 5/8" Kevlar shock cord from Pratt. Both are good products and Doug Pratt is a great guy to deal with.
    Don Brown
    MDRA
    NAR Level 2

Well, since I have only been doing rocketry larger than a mid-size Estes rocket, I have had limited exposure to all the different recovery methods used in HPR. I am assuming that these parachute protectors are used in place of recovery wadding? Sounds rather interesting. Maybe on the next rocket...
    Thanks,
    Reed

Usually I use chute protectors as a 'wrap' around my chute. After folding my chute, I lay it in the protector, roll it around twice, fold the ends in, then finish the roll. Kind of like a burrito. that way I know all the chute is inside the protector.

Edward
    www.alphahybrids.com

"The heavens declare the glory of God, the skies proclaim the work of His hands." Psalm 19:1

I used to use the heat shield the same way as Estes wadding, but still had some scorching from hot gas that leaked around the edges. I also had chutes that ejected from the body but got tangled shroud lines and failed to open properly.

Then Tom Quin at QModeling showed me the 'burrito wrap' method as well as a new technique for folding parachutes. Since then my chutes have all deployed reliably and I have had no more scorching.

Which is better, Kevlar or Nomex for the chute protectors. Gaint Leap showed their Kevlar protectors to be more fire-resistant than Nomex, but a lot of you seem to be using Nomex.
    Reed

My experience is not particularly scientific (ie controlled conditions), but my new Giant Leap Kevlar protector burned through on its second flight. I personally think their older protectors held up just as well or better. The best I've found is home made from car airbags.
    Dick Stafford
    The member formerly known as the Pointy-Haired Moderator.
    The Original Rocket Dungeon
    Volunteer compiler of product news for ROCKETS Magazine

Speaking of the kevlar protectors, which side goes towards the parachute?
    Fuzzy or the smooth side?
    Or doesn't it matter?

Thanks,

Greg

I use a Kevlar shock cord that extends just the length of the body and mounted to aft motor ring. Then attach bungee or elastic cord that extends beyond body in hopes of preventing zippering.
    Question is, I have had issues using Nomex just stuffed down against the motor and would like to try the Nomex parachute wrapping method but

should I include the very long bungee or elestic portions of shock cords inside the Nomex blanket with chute and chute release to prevent burns to non Kevlar shock cords.
    When I try this it's just too big a burrito to fit.

Or do I place non Kevlar shock cords above the burrito in tube?

thanks

I usually cable-tie the protector to a location on the harness, through the mounting hole that is normally in one corner of the protector.
    TRA 13430, Level 3

"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Your thread brought the topic of kevlar vs nomex to mind, I did a quick search, and found this:

Nomex, Kevlar & Chute Protection

http://www.jacobsrocketry.com/high_p...Protection.htm
    "I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." - Will Rogers

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're misinformed." - Mark Twain

Might i ask a related question here - anybody know if you can cut 6oz/yd nomex fabric with a red-hot knife?

Sent from my XT1039 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Wow, a thirteen-year-old thread resurrection!

John S. ---- NAR #96911 ---- TRA #15253 ---- MDRA #067 ---- BARC #028
    L1, 3/15/14: Aerotech Sumo, CTI H133BS
    L2, 6/21/14: Giant Leap Vertical Assault, CTI J240RL
    L3, 3/12/16: MAC Performance Radial Flyer, CTI M1101WH
    Altitude: 13,028', L3 flight; Speed: Mach ???, L3 flight