HPR Estes Shadow Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPR Estes Shadow Build

Hello all. I thought I'd share pics from my recent build. The bird pictured is an HPR clone of the Estes Shadow, complete with dual deployment and 38MM mount.

The first pic is of the fin can being assembled.

Base coat of paint. The color is Duplicolor Nighthawk Black Pearl. It has purple metallic in the black paint. It looks really nice out in the sun!

Last one

The finished product! Final weight with all recovery gear installed is 43oz. If the weather coperates, I hope to fly it soon at Fire on the Farm.

Great post! The rocket looks great and the photos really show the construction process. Now what we need to complete the series is a launch and recovery sequence!

Thanks for all your work to put this thread together.

Originally posted by Stones
Nice build! Are those automotive colors?

Yes and no.(does that make sense?) Yes they are auto colors, but not true "auto" paint. I painted it with Duplicolor auto spray paint.

I was a long time Krylon man, but I am a Duplicolor convert now! This was the first rocket I used it on, and I really liked the results!

The stock Estes colors were suppose to be Black and Silver, but Silver paint (at least for me) always ends up looking like CRAP.

So in searching for a alternative to boring, ugly, Silver, I decided to try Duplicolor Light Sapphire Blue Metallic. It looks kind of like Silver without looking CRAPPY.

The booster is Nighthawk Black Pearl. It has purple metallic in the black. It has a really nice look as well.

Those are some nice build pics. Beautiful finished product. ::sucks drool back in::
So, what's the difference in the Krylon and Duplicolor? So far I have used Krylon, but have only painted two rockets, so there are no firm opinions yet.
Reed

Originally posted by asmqajm
Rocket dry fit and mock-up.

Wow, I'm surprised no one caught the beast-of-an-Orbital Transport that is in construction in this picture!

I'm equally impressed by the pictures of both the rockets you have in progress. Great choice in HPR conversion. I've always had a place in my heart for the Estes Optima which is the same design as the Shadow. Nice work.

eugene,
I caught it too. ::folds tongue back into mouth:: that looks like one hell of a build. I'm still gazing at my concorde take off picture from an airport in England that I saw it fly from... thinking of building that into a rocket when I have the time...

Since there's been so many questions about the paint, I thought I'd elobrate a bit further.

I've tried lots of diffrent paints, and had settled on Krylon for a several reasons

1. It dries fast.
2. Recoat anytime
3. The overspray is dry, so it can be easily cleaned off the garage floor
4. Looks good when cleared.
5. Is compatible with Rustoleum Clear and primer

I decided to try the Duplicolor because of the silver issue I eluded to earlier. I'm happy to report that the Duplicolor paint does everything the Krylon did for me, and some things that Krylon dosen't

This Duplicolor dries as fast and cleans off the floor as good as Krylon, but it does not need tons of clear to shine up good like Krylon does. It's compatibale with Rustoleum Primer and clear, and it also comes in some really COOL metallic colors.

I've all but sworn off Krylon for this stuff!

I got it in the automotive section at WallyWorld, but it can be had at Napa, Pep Boys, O'Rileys, places like that. I have attached a picture of the can as well.

I have an Estes Shadow that I've always wanted to upscale. I always liked the look of it and thought it needed to be bigger. You just gave me some incentive!

Very nice build!

I made a HPR upscale of the Estes Shadow several years ago from 3" LOC components. It flies great on H128's and G75's. It weighs in at 22 ounces, so I can get realtively good flights off of G64's and G80's, too. A very stable rocket!

Best Regards

Originally posted by tquigg
I made a HPR upscale of the Estes Shadow several years ago from 3" LOC components. It flies great on H128's and G75's. It weighs in at 22 ounces, so I can get realtively good flights off of G64's and G80's, too. A very stable rocket!

Best Regards

Cool! Sounds like a great bird!

One of these days, I'm going to have too learn to build lighter. Mine weighs 27oz dry with nothing in it. This is the first HPR rocket that I've made serious attempts to keep the weight down, and fight the "overbuilding" urge.

At 22oz, you've shown me that I have a ways to go. Mine's technically not an upscale, rather I stretched the stock size 10" for dual deployment. So you got me beat in a 3" airframe vs. 2.6"!!

However, This is by FAR the lightest HPR bird I have built. (believe me, I have built some overweight PIGS!) At 43oz ready to fly w/ dual deployment, I expect great things from this bird on "I" motors. I'll find out soon enough!

Welp, flight day for the Shadow has come and gone.

I had planned on flying it on an H-180 with dual deploy first, then DD on an I-211. The wheels quickly fell off of those plans once I learned that our Aerotech dealer was not there, and our other dealer (who handles the CTI stuff) was out of ematches.

After some begging and scrounging of fellow members' range boxes, I netted myself an H-180W, and I-211W, and 4 ematches.

So I prepped the recovery system to ready it for flight. Once prep was complete, I got altitude greedy and decided to go for it on the I-211W instead on the H-180

I assembled the motor, buttoned it up with a PML motor retainer and took it down to the pads.

Ignition and liftoff were normal.......then it happened. The payload section ejected at 1370ft, (under full power) and *bad* things happened. The rocket came down in two pieces, the booster by itself hitting the ground with a sickening THUD! The payload section and altimeter floated down gently on the main 'chute.

The damage is fairly bad, a nice 3" zipper, and the shockcord was completely burnt out of the booster. The booster is nice and crispy inside. The payload section and altimeter bay survived intact. The good news is the booster is repairable, so I'll get a good flight out of this bird yet.

Post-mortem revealed that the cause of the crash was forward closure blowby. The blowby was severe enough to seperate the rocket even though I did not put any BP in for ejection. (was flying it electronic)

The reload was really old (dated 1999, though still fresh in the package) with the old-style forward seals and Copperhead igniter. I guess there's a reason why AT changed the design.

Well, stuff happens once in awile and that's how flying is!

First pic....preflight...I look like such a dweeb!

Back