Walmart Bargain (not)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajunman06

Reaction score
Was in Walmart a day or so ago and remembered that I needed a Baby Bertha for an upcoming project. I thought I remembered seeing some in those plastic packages so I searched the clearance area first and then to the rocket shelf. I found two.......Then I noticed the price....$8.88 Hmmmmmmm. It seemed a little stiff for the kit, so I put off the buy so I could check prices elsewhere. Turns out I was right in my feeling. The **** thing LISTS for $7....And Walmart wants to make a buck 88 off it?

Hey Sam, you can fool some of the people some of the time, but just because you put it in your store doesn't make it a good deal.

Cajunman, Your best bet on a Baby B is to wait until Hobby Lobby has their half price sale. I picked up a couple that way & modified one for 24mm motors. Talk about hop off the pad w/a D12-7.

Regarding WalMart, you'll notice that all their rockets packaged like the Baby B are $8.88. I got my Fat Boy there for that price, so it's just the way Estes prices the kits, rather than WM.

If you have a Michael's in BR, check their clearance aisles for an occasional rocket kit. I got a Big Daddy there for $12.00. Also, check the Hobby Lobby clearance aisles occasionally.

Are you planning to come to the High Cotton launch on Feb. 19-20?

Fred,

Have you actually bought anything from them?

Shipping for one kit was $8.90. That's in addition to the price of the rocket.

Yikes!

I have yet to find a way to have a bad flight with this rocket, the Baby Bertha is a bargain at any price ;)

Anyway, Wal Mart may not be pricing the Baby Bertha too well, but I appreciate the fact that all the Launchables kits are $8.88 so I can pickup cheap Fat Boy kits :)

I bought a Baby Bertha once at Meijer for 87c. We were ringing up some stuff (including a couple rockets) at the self check out. I wasn't looking, but my wife says, "did you see how much that rocket rang up at?" We asked the clerk at the self check lanes and he checked it out. They were indeed clearing out some inventory. I went back to the isle and grabbed every kit on the shelf which amounted to a bunch of fat boys and the one baby bertha. To this day, I countinually check there hoping and praying that I'll end up with another "find".

The launchables packages at around 9 bucks are pretty darn reasonable really. When I got back into rockets it just blew my mind that you could even buy them at walmart, let alone ENGINES! Especially here in california. Used to be only the single hobby store in town had rocket stuff and I almost never buy there because they are too darn expensive.

Originally posted by Cajunman06
Was in Walmart a day or so ago and remembered that I needed a Baby Bertha for an upcoming project. I thought I remembered seeing some in those plastic packages so I searched the clearance area first and then to the rocket shelf. I found two.......Then I noticed the price....$8.88 Hmmmmmmm. It seemed a little stiff for the kit, so I put off the buy so I could check prices elsewhere. Turns out I was right in my feeling. The **** thing LISTS for $7....And Walmart wants to make a buck 88 off it?

Hey Sam, you can fool some of the people some of the time, but just because you put it in your store doesn't make it a good deal.

I wish Michaels would carry them, with the 40% off coupon every week one could get one really cheap.

Sandman,

How did we miss Naperville?

I thought we hit every Meijer's within 300 miles of Detroit.

Wait...wait...wait...Mapquest says...Detroit to Naperville...311 miles.

Shoot! :mad:

Walmart's biggest ripoff when it comes to rocketry is their a8-3 packs for 4.97 The Cs are priced nicely at 4.97 but the bs and as should have a different pricing structure. I wish walmart sold the blast off flight pack. Since I discovered michaels I generally only buy my engines from them in the flight packs with coupons.Before the coupon they are 55 dollars, with a 50 percenter and tax they are 29 dollars and change. Even at that it's still over a dollar a shot but I've decided that you only live once ya know?

Originally posted by LtSharpe
Walmart's biggest ripoff when it comes to rocketry is their a8-3 packs for 4.97 The Cs are priced nicely at 4.97 but the bs and as should have a different pricing structure. I wish walmart sold the blast off flight pack. Since I discovered michaels I generally only buy my engines from them in the flight packs with coupons.Before the coupon they are 55 dollars, with a 50 percenter and tax they are 29 dollars and change. Even at that it's still over a dollar a shot but I've decided that you only live once ya know?

You're right about the A8-3's for 4.97.... not a good price. With a 40% coupon at Michaels they are 3.90.

I only buy A8-3's in the blastoff packs. My Michaels sells them for $48 so with a 50% coupon and tax they are slightly over $25.

Originally posted by astronboy
Due to the fact that most of my currently available kitbashes are based on the Baby Bertha, I like to keep track of who has the cheapest ones available.

Here is a link to the cheapest ones I can find: $4.42 each is a pretty good deal.

https://www.hungates.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=100713295&Affiliate=F

Phred

Last time I placed an order from www.hobbylinc.com the Baby Bertha were $4.69 I bought four and and a Snitch for $4.99
and Quest Courier shipping was $8.50

Now the Baby Bertha in $4.99 and shipping would be $7.50
So when I do Buy I buy in Bulk so the lowest price in not always the Best Price. Besides I have atleast four Goony's to build:D
BAR
John

Their A103t's are a good value at 4.97 for 4. Although my x prize gauchito seems to do better on a3-4t's which walmart doesn't carry but michaels does,, and with the 40 percent coupon they are 4.50 including tax.

Back