Launching rockets from a rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwattles

Reaction score
The Mad Scientist of Rocketry is at it again!

Picture this:
BT-80 based rocket goes up, slow lift-off on long-burn motor.
Shortly before burnout, 3 pairs of MMX rockets launch out through "silos" drilled into the nose cone, 2 at a time, each about 0.2 seconds apart.

I was thinking a Big Daddy or Executioner sized rocket as the booster, to get the diameter necessary. The smaller rockets would obviously have to be fired via a multi-event timer, and that would also require some space.

Anybody ever tried it before, or seen it done? It would sort of have the effect of a plane in flight firing unguided ground-attack rockets, but everything would be aimed up, not down.

WW

Your idea sounds like a fun project. I flew a Mini Marz lander off an F-powered rocket; the lander was the NC. I saw a photo of someone who launched a bunch of small rockets that were mounted in the tube fins on a larger rocket.

The only problem I see is if the main rocket goes too high, you might lose the effect of the little MMX birds.

yeah....i agree, MMX is too small to see. i had this type of idea a while back, but this was before i knew of timers. it was a 5.5" main bird with 6 1" birds attached to the outside. after burnout of the main, the 6 outrigger birds would all fire at the same time and go into the heavens. lol. it was to be a lvl 2 powered bird. a central J or K booster and for the little birds was going to be F's or G's.

definately post pics if you attempt this.

The fin arrangement for the MMX rockets might be a challenge, but maybe not on a Big Daddy diameter rocket. I've made several tube-launched MMX rockets using BT50 launch tubes

When the small rockets ignite, what will their exhausts do to the "silo"?

shouldnt do much, coat the tubes with some epoxy or jb weld...its not exposed to exhaust for very long. some scorching can happen, but thats all in the name of fun. heh. it wont hurt the rocket much though.

Hmmm... all very good points. Things I will have to consider if I ever do decide to take this out of my Mad Scientist's Design Journal and put it into reality.

Another thought did hit me along the way (actually, the mention of the Mars Lander inspired it): What about, instead of a traditional fat 3/4FNC type rocket, use a 38mm Art Applewhite Saucer design instead? I could vent the tubes out the bottom, the overall height would be low enough to see the secondary launches, and the body space inside would be big enough to hold the electronics. Balance might be an issue, but I think it could be overcome with some planning.

WW

I've seen pics of rockets with one booster and several sustainers... I think one was Adrian's and another Micromeister's. Is this anything like them?

Phil

And I like the sound of the saucer :D

Originally posted by WiK
I've seen pics of rockets with one booster and several sustainers... I think one was Adrian's and another Micromeister's. Is this anything like them?

Not quite. The idea on this would be to have the smaller rockets launch while the "mothership" is still boosting, so there really isn't a distinction between a sustainer and a booster. The slower speed of the mothership would allow the smaller, quicker rockets to separate from it very quickly.

WW

Back