Deployment bags?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jraice

Reaction score
I am thinking about using the quickburst D-bag. It is a simple one, no loops for the shrouds, it uses a small pilot and the bag attaches above the main chute. I want to use it to prevent zippers and burn throughs. You can check it out at quickburst.net

I want to use th 6" version. Would I be able to fit a large 72" parachute and some tubular nylon shrouds in it? It is my first D bag so any info is helpful.

D-bags are very very helpful. I've used them a lot on rockets and I use the 'free-bag' method. Basically you use an 18-24" chute to pull the main out and the bag off. Usually I attach the 18-24" chute to the nosecone and that comes down on its own. I like it a lot. I don't know what size the bag is but I recommend using them.

Edward

Originally posted by QuickBurst
QuickBurst makes an excellent bag.

: )

Try it you'll like it.

QuickBurst

David,
A few quick questions. I working on a Minie Magg. It has a small chute (36").

1. Would I need the 6" bag or would a 4" bag work? Ideally, I'd like to use the bag on more than one rocket...and keep the weight down a little too.

2. Does the bag have to fit fairly snugly into the airframe? Or, can it be somewhat loose? (e.g. a 4" bag in the 5.38" minie magg)

3. If it's okay for the bag to fit loosely, what protects the pilot chute?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

QuickBurst makes an excellent bag.

: )

Try it you'll like it.

I'll second that! I'm using the Quickburst 4" bag and I'll never fly any other way.

Originally posted by Rockaholic
David,
A few quick questions. I working on a Minie Magg. It has a small chute (36").

1. Would I need the 6" bag or would a 4" bag work? Ideally, I'd like to use the bag on more than one rocket...and keep the weight down a little too.

2. Does the bag have to fit fairly snugly into the airframe? Or, can it be somewhat loose? (e.g. a 4" bag in the 5.38" minie magg)

Thanks in advance!
Dave

I assume the Mini Mag is a 6" airframe. This is a hard one. I have never had to address this before.

1. Would I need the 6" bag or would a 4" bag work? Ideally, I'd like
to use the bag on more than one rocket...and keep the weight down a
little too.
Either would work fine.

2. Does the bag have to fit fairly snugly into the airframe? Or, can
it be somewhat loose? (e.g. a 4" bag in the 5.38" minie magg)?
Ideally the bag would fit snugly in the airframe. If it were able to flop around it wouldn't be that big a deal. It should work fine either way.

This is the hard one. Nothing. In a typical application the bag protects the pilot because it fills most of the airframe. In your case if you use a 4" bag in a 6" airframe this will not happen. The hot ejection gas will go past the bag and get to the pilot. I'd use a Nomex parachute protector about a 12 X 12 should work fine.

I hope I was able to help.

Got the bag in.
Thanks for all your help and great service!
The instructions on your website are very helpful.
Dumb question: how and where do I attach the nosecone?

The pilot opens the bag, so the nosecone can't be attached to the top of it right?

Dave

Back