It is snowing in Arkansas! (well dusting anyway)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pem Tech

Notorious Member
Reaction score
Down here in the armpit of existence we seldom get snow, maybe once a year and it melts off the next day.
*sigh*
I miss real snow...

Anyway, we had our first snow of the year this morning, a light dusting of dry flakes blowing off the roads and no ice. The motorways are perfectly safe and passable. So, I get to work at my usual 0725 and find an email from the Governers office:

---------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 6:47 AM
To: Robert Pemberton
Subject: State Government Inclement Weather Alert for Monday 01/04/2010

ARKANSAS STATE OFFICES TO OPEN TWO HOURS LATE ON MONDAY

Under the State of Arkansas's Inclement Weather Policy, State operations will be delayed two hours Monday morning due to icy conditions in parts of Central Arkansas.

State Agency directors may authorize additional delays for employees who live in areas that have become especially treacherous.
-------------------------------------------------------

Notice the date and time stamp. They sent out the notice at 0647 THIS MORNING!
Morons...
Listing on the news last night would have been a good idea.
:bangbang:

The worst bit...
Those of us that got up and came to work on time don't get to leave early this afternoon.

OK, rant over....

Happy New Year everyone!

Sorry! I used to live in the armpit called Arkansas also(much happier in NC.). They really freak out about snow. If they only knew what real snow was. I grew up in Iowa.:snowflake:

When traveling through Arkansas (and we have done this often), my wife and noticed the frequency of the signs near bridges that is something like:

"Bridge may ice in cold weather"

It seemed that you could sometimes see two of these signs very close (and I am talking like 100 yards are so, on highways), like the driver could forget. I don't think it is a remark regarding the IQ of drivers in Arkansas, but perhaps more of the machinations of government in "The Natural State". Maybe someone has some insight on this.

Greg

Brent,
Yep, yiou are right about that. When the first snowflake hist the ground everyone rushes off to Krogers for milk, eggs and bread. Guess it is nice to know that if you get snowed in you will have a handy supply of french toast.

*duh*

They have no concept of real snow....
Boy I miss northern Kentucky, there was almost always a decent snow fall there.

Greg,
Sadly....
It does have to do with people forgetting. Freezing weather is so uncommon people need to be reminded about hazards like that. Also, the weather fluctuations are so swift and pronounced, ice takes you off guard.

Years back, when I helped run the family business, work started at 0445 every morning. One winters morning between the time I checked the weather and the time I crossed the interstate overpass, the temp had dropped dramatically. What was rain just minutes ago was now an ice-sheet.
My CJ-7 Jeep did a 180, and completed two rolls down the embankment into an icy ditch. Thank the fates for the seat belt and roll bar.
The first roll shattered the fiberglass top, crushed the windshield and threw open the doors. The second roll tossed the shattered top, snapped off the doors and stuck my head into the muddy/icy, but thankfully soft, ground.
We ended upright at the bottom of the hill, setting in stunned silence while the snow fell on me.
That was quite a dramatic moment, the thought being,
"Hey, I'm alive, have all my bits and didn't wet myself."

Came away with a single minor cut on my scalp, didn't even need stitches. The Jeep, on the other hand, was nearly a complete loss, but I had her rebuilt and still have her today.

We got 10" this weekend and 30 miles north (lake effect) some folks got over 24". I'd rather get a dusting now.:snowmanMr. Bob
Starlight Model Rockets LLC

I miss real snow...

I'll trade.

I love snow, but this? This is bloody ridiculous!

My front yard currently has a huge pile of snow that's almost 4' tall and packed so hard you can stand on it without sinking in. At all.

We're supposed to get 3" later this week; I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to put it....

-Kevin

I'll trade.

I love snow, but this? This is bloody ridiculous!

My front yard currently has a huge pile of snow that's almost 4' tall and packed so hard you can stand on it without sinking in. At all.

We're supposed to get 3" later this week; I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to put it....

-Kevin
I did not realise we were neighbours kevin :) Thank God its a mild winter eh:)
Cheers
fred

Its global warming ... as things heat up, they get colder ... makes sense to me! :happydeer:

Jonathan

Its global warming ... as things heat up, they get colder ... makes sense to me! :happydeer:

Jonathan

It is completely fine Johnathan to make a post without a hot button political connotation honestly :)
Cheers
fred

I wouldn't mind a little snow. Today in Dallas it's 85-90 with more of the same headed our way. Maybe we'll get lucky. Febu-ugly isn't over yet!

We have barely seen snow here in Ohio this year. But have had two ice storms. I hate ice. We couldn't drive anywhere for two days during one of them. The roads were clear after a few hours, but our driveway and the private road we live on was sheer ice and impassable.

We've had it bad in Oregon this year..

That's for sure! We have missed four full days of school, had a half-dozen late starts, and yesterday we sent the kids home early for the third time. We are at 1500' in altitude, which makes it worse yet.

We missed the only winter event this year. It snowed while we were in Cozumel in January and now in February it is in the upper 70's!
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

That's for sure! We have missed four full days of school, had a half-dozen late starts, and yesterday we sent the kids home early for the third time. We are at 1500' in altitude, which makes it worse yet.

Make that five full days and seven late starts.

We have barely seen snow here in Ohio this year. But have had two ice storms. I hate ice. We couldn't drive anywhere for two days during one of them. The roads were clear after a few hours, but our driveway and the private road we live on was sheer ice and impassable.

a lil different winter here in western metro Detroit,too. we had about 7" of snow back in December, then the next day it warmed up and rained for 2 days and it was just about gone. we had about 1 1/2" a few days ago, then it wamred up,rained, and now we just have a dusting that happened this morning.

Back