Best Rocket Competition Rule Changes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Well, Happy New Year!

It is that time to start the competitions, but first lets go over some of the ground rules, and some changes. It has been brought to my attention a couple of times that the Best Rocket Competition is turning into a Biggest Rocket Contest, and looking at the results the last couple of months I would have to agree. Nothing wrong intrinsically, as it IS a popularity contest, and apparently we like BIG rockets! Starting with the January contest I am going to try and have TWO contests per month. One being Low Power(F and below) and one MPR/HPR(G and above). Right now, I only have one MPR/HPR sponsor, but I am working on getting more so we can have to 2 competitions.

I am making a modification to the rules to reflect the new split power level competitions. I am also enhancing the rocket 'eligibility' rules. The following will take effect with the January competition.

Enhancement:
Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
Modification:
Whenever I can get appropriate sponsorships for the month there will be 2 contests. One will be strictly LOW POWER(F impulse and below) and the other will be MPR/HPR(G impulse and higher). So double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

If you have any further enhancements or modifications that you would like let me know. I have had it suggested that the previous month's winner is the one to choose the next month's theme. Thoughts?

I want to make this contest fun and enjoyable for all involved, so, please, if you have any suggestions post 'em! ;)

Last edited:
Jon,

Might I make a suggestion. Getting prizes every month has got to be tough. and being a vendor I don't mind doing it. I actually kind of like it. But there is only a certain amount of vendors who participate and asking us to effectively double that is a quite a bit. I do understand we get free advertising out of it and great word of mouth etc. So yes it is good!

Anyways my idea. Instead of asking for two prizes every month, Just have one contest some months. such as "February... LOW POWER ONLY... March MID POWER only etc. april.. 3FNC rockets only.. may. ONLY GREEN rockets... etc.

What I am saying is you don't have to have a contest that everyone can compete in every month.. it's still fair. and still fun for everyone at some point or another.

Just a thought..

It sure can be Mark! And I guess great minds DO think alike!:roll: I was planning on doing exactly as you stated..Try to get the sponsor(s) lined up for the respective power level and have 2 contests, and if I can only secure 1 then that will be the contest for the month. Whether it be LPR, MPR or HPR , it all depends on securing the correct sponsorship..Right now I have sponsorship lined up for Jan(obviously) and February(LPR), hoping to get a MPR/HPR sponsor for February, but, if that doesn't happen then will be LPR only..

I do like your ideas on one month a 3 or 4FNC and Green rockets only themes! ;)

It sure can be Mark! And I guess great minds DO think alike!:roll: I was planning on doing exactly as you stated..Try to get the sponsor(s) lined up for the respective power level and have 2 contests, and if I can only secure 1 then that will be the contest for the month. Whether it be LPR, MPR or HPR , it all depends on securing the correct sponsorship..Right now I have sponsorship lined up for Jan(obviously) and February(LPR), hoping to get a MPR/HPR sponsor for February, but, if that doesn't happen then will be LPR only..

I do like your ideas on one month a 3 or 4FNC and Green rockets only themes! ;)

Yeah I think any kind of category is fine. just something to make a theme...

Go for the GREEN rockets in march. (st patties day theme.. but green will be fine!) I will put up a prize!

So everybody should go to thier home depot and buy some green spraypaint!

Last edited:
Yeah I think any kind of category is fine. just something to make a theme...

Go for the GREEN rockets in march. (st patties day theme.. but green will be fine!) I will put up a prize!

So everybody should go to thier home depot and buy some green spraypaint!

Sweet!:D Got you down for March then Mark!

Jon, since April is my birth month put use down for mpr/hpr sponsor for April. If you want an idea for theme do a "wildest paint job"

Jon, since April is my birth month put use down for mpr/hpr sponsor for April. If you want an idea for theme do a "wildest paint job"

Would May be okay? Already have an MPR/HPR sponsor for April, which is his birth month as well, and well, he asked first for that month:eek:

Maybe it would be fun to create a thread asking TRF members for "Themes" for the monthly contest. Then, you could keep a running list of all of the ideas and throw them back at us as you see fit.

Maybe it would be fun to create a thread asking TRF members for "Themes" for the monthly contest. Then, you could keep a running list of all of the ideas and throw them back at us as you see fit.

That sounds like a good idea! :)

Just a thought, could you start posting the theme in the voting post? Might help in getting more voters, or at least more informed voters.

Just a thought, could you start posting the theme in the voting post? Might help in getting more voters, or at least more informed voters.

You mean for the poll thread? as in :

July Best Rocket Poll- National Pride Theme

Will try and remember to incorporate that month's theme into the thread title..

Back