Help with Constellation payload section

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm working on a clone of the Estes Constellation, and want it to look like it does here in the catalog...

Constellation

My quandry is how do I get the balsa base of the payload section black in color and still securely retain the payload section? Glue doesn't stick well to paint, right?

Similar issue with the nose, but here the problem is scratching the paint of the base as you open and close the payload section.

Thanks in advance...

First remember the models in most estes catalogs were never flown! some were but very few.
That said:
The easiest way is to paint only the bottim of the cone and top of the Transition, mask off the open center and paint the esterior of the plastic payload section at the same time as the body,nose.etc
Or fill, sand and paint your Transition and Nosecone as you like. if your Clear section is anything like the ones I've used over the years it will be either Toooo tight or way to loose. If to tight not problem, sand to fit then repaint and assemble with a clear watch crystal cement on the transition ONLY! the Nose cone is ment to be removable. Taped to the exterior of the model during flight. I use 1/2" silver mylar tape for this, Looks good in the air and doesn't tear up the nosecone finish to much when removed.
If the clear is too loose, you'll have to build up the transition and shoulder with masking tape, fill sand and paint then fit the piece attached with clear drying watch crystal cement or something similar. If your unable to find a suitable adhesive, and the friction fit is good I'd suggest a second coat of wet paint squeeze on the payload tube and let dry, to not twist, turn or otherwise disturb the tube during this process, I have had model payload section adheared in this way were the paint/friction fit has been tougher then the clear polyethylene tube itself.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to see my constellation in this group shot from back in the day but it's the 3rd model on the right Orange and red. I try Never to paint my models like the package unless it's a scale model;)
Hope this helps.

Now yer talkin' my favorite kit!

I have made a bunch! including a standard size, a BT-20 mini, a BT-56 upscale that I was even selling as a kit, and finally a really big 3 engine cluster built around a BT-70 tube.

Two ways to attach the payload section.

1.) for a BT-50 original size kit I use Averyl abel paper (I use the strips for taging file folders). Stick them glue side out on the inside of the clear payload section and glue the bulkhead to this.

Then you can put either a decal stripe or a strip of black monocote on the outside to cover that up.

2.) On bigger models I use three evenly place tiny brass screws (polish them up real pudy with a dremmel buffer first).
Make the fit of the bulkhead loose and just paint it black (it will swell a bit with the paint.

Finally! If you paint the buklkhead and the nose cone shoulder wait at least a week for the paint to dry! Otherwise the paint will "stick" to the payload section and you'll never get it apart!

Thanks Micromeister and Sandman!

I have an idea of how to proceed now - will post pics of the model when I get it finished.

Sandman - The Constellation was my favorite rocket when I was young and lasted forever (until the Rocket Gods took it away on the wind), even though I didn't really build it properly. Hopefully now I can do better, and I am looking forward to flying it again! I love the combination of futuristic looks and performance.

That is one impressive set of Constellations you have there - I may pick your brain about an upscale when I clear the backlog of current projects.

Maybe it would be a good thing to do this winter, ya think :D

Here's how she looks tonight - still have to paint one fin black and apply decals.

Overall, I'm pleased - much better than my first Constellation ;)

Let's try this again:

Constellation.jpg

Very nice! Do you have decals?

If not Astronboy has the Estes D-13 decals set.

Even though my current fleet had four differents sizes of Constellations, every time I see one I want to build another!

Sandman - yep, got decals. Ordered them from Astronboy some time ago, when I first started seriously thinking about cloning this puppy.

Now I'm thinking about an upscale :D - got any suggestions as to scaling factor (I'd like to keep it in the LRP/MPR range)?

In order to "upscale" the Astron Constellation you will need two things.

A clear payload bay to match your tube and a matching BNC-50x shaped nose cone. (Yes, I can help you on with the nose cone.)

The long clear payload section from the Estes Super Nova Payloader is a perfect match to a BT-56.

The clear payload section from Apogee components matches the BT-70 body tube. Astronboy has decals for this size but it takes a bit more motor to fly it (3x24mm cluster in mine.)

You may be able to find a BT-60 clear payload section from Estes but they are a bit short.

With Halloween and Christmas coming up be on the lookout for candy in clear plastic tubes that may match some body tubes.

Back